Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Why blame tv? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Could this work?
  Possably
  Yes
  No
View Results

Obito Sharingan Uchiha

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:33 am
I see people blamming tv, but truly, it may help people use better language. You know how little kids quote their tv hero? They keep saying it untill they say it like a dictionary. What if those "txt tlkrs" began to repeat proper grammer? It may be the blow on "txt-chttn". Let me know if you like my idea.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:48 pm
It's not like they'd watch that kind of programme...

I mean, TV isn't all bad. It's taught me one heck of a lot. But the kind of stuff most people watch...It's not gonna do anything for literacy.

Ithaya

Lazarus Soul

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:39 pm
Some TV's good, but unless you have captions on (which a lot of people hate), all it will do is help you learn a new word or two, nothing in literacy. However, video games are much more educational. I actually learned a few virtues AND how to spell because of some of those! biggrin

I thought it was violence, sex and drugs that people blamed on TV, not illiteracy. Oh, well. Could be that, too. biggrin  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:24 pm
Yeah. it's like that whole 'monkey see monkey do' thing. If we can get more and more people to BRUTALLY MURDER 'txt tlk' and the like, then maybe other people will be thinking 'OMG IT'S THE NEXT THINGY!' (I used the 'omg' becuase that's probably what they will be thinking.) Then maybe that will convert a few people to literacy instead of idiocy!

Just an extra:

I'm ashamed... my own father uses 'txt tlk'! crying  

Mangabrary

s p a z z z !

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:54 am
am17
I see people blamming tv, but truly, it may help people use better language. You know how little kids quote their tv hero? They keep saying it untill they say it like a dictionary. What if those "txt tlkrs" began to repeat proper grammer? It may be the blow on "txt-chttn". Let me know if you like my idea.

I really have no idea how that'll help. I actually don't understand what you're saying, but, uh, I think you're trying to say the TV characters will influence people .... ? Sure, but it's like ... TV kind of brainwashes you, like you're in a hurry to do anything else .... thus equalling in "txt-chttn"  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:09 am
Blaming TV totally is simplistic. The fact remains though, that TV stands in the place of reading for many people, thus leading to the decline in literacy. Every decade since TV was introduced to the general public, the general public have gotten stupider and less literate.

It's no accident that my literacy has soared since I haven't been watching TV.  

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250

Eurykleia

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:13 am
Heck, I learnt English by watching the telly in the first place, but that hasn't stopped me from reading books and being litterate!

I blame the internet, some people are too lazy to type out their words and start leaving out the vowels. Other people see them do it and they think 'Hey, that looks cool, I'm gonna do that too!', and txt tlk is born.

I think that schools should make the kids read some proper books!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:21 pm
I learned English from T.V. it can't be all that bad. I mean look at my grammar, not bad not good. Ok, sure I'm a Harry Potter- book nerd, but I'm good at grammar, even though Hagrid dosen't have it.  

Archdemonessa

Eurykleia

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 2:09 am
UmmeKulsoom
I learned English from T.V. it can't be all that bad. I mean look at my grammar, not bad not good. Ok, sure I'm a Harry Potter- book nerd, but I'm good at grammar, even though Hagrid dosen't have it.

That's exactly the way I learnt it! 4laugh When I was little, I watched lots and lots of BBC and when I had a good base of English, I started reading Harry Potter and other English books. I don't think you can learn a complete language by watching TV, but I do think it can improve it when you watch the right channels (a music channel won't add much to your vocabulary)

Besides, if TV is bad for your grammar, why would the teachers at my school suggest we watch German television to improve our German?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 8:04 am
I know Japenese from watching Naruto and never stop reading about Naruto. (Well, mostly Sakura)I don't have Sakura pictures in my room!
Anyway, what I ment was that we just not use txt-tlk and not even go near those who do, they'll get lonly because all of their frinds don't use txt-tlk, and stay away from them. I have no idea what I said, so don't ask me. sweatdrop  

Obito Sharingan Uchiha

I am Jaques colon

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:11 am
Not unless you plug the frequency for playhouse disney into their medula oblongatas, I don't think so. But if you figure out a way to plug the frequency into their medula oblongatas, you're a sick and twisted individual.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:48 pm
Shinobi 1977
Blaming TV totally is simplistic. The fact remains though, that TV stands in the place of reading for many people, thus leading to the decline in literacy. Every decade since TV was introduced to the general public, the general public have gotten stupider and less literate.

It's no accident that my literacy has soared since I haven't been watching TV.

I don't think television has created a decline in literacy as much as I believe it caused the decline in imagination...

My mother never seems to be able to stop telling me about how when she was a child, she had a better imagination than this generation as television leaves you with little to imagine, as you're seeing it all put out for you.

But then again, I can undertand television being the decline for literacy although I highly doubt it is the biggest problem. For all the poverty that we have around the world, those who can't afford televisions, or watch them for the matter, it surely didn't improve their literacy.

Therefore, even if televisions did help in the decline of literacy, there are still many factors to be aware of that make up our literacy problem.  

Kohy

Obito Sharingan Uchiha

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:14 pm
lancekatre
Not unless you plug the frequency for playhouse disney into their medula oblongatas, I don't think so. But if you figure out a way to plug the frequency into their medula oblongatas, you're a sick and twisted individual.
What if I am that twisted? lol Yeah right.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:41 pm
I tend to not blame the television, because the main reason that Txt Tlk is floating around my school (which is a school for dumb and failing losers) is peer vandalization.

It spreads like maggot on meat. It's taken over ninety-seven (approxamation?) percent of the school. xp

Possibly, please.  

Zealot of Insanity

Drunken Bandit

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:09 pm
Well to me TV has become different then when I was a child. BBC is no longer the big TV show it once was. These days it's about Comedy Central. I learned from my family and school. Others blame TV because it is changing every minute.  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff