Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Which?
  Roy
  Marth
View Results

diranithedemon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:39 pm
Now i would say Roy. Marth is completely useless if you have roy in the game. Its like why put him in if you have roy. Hes not bad but Roy is so much better. Marth has speed but with the strength and air time that Roy gets hes a lot better  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:13 pm

I'm getting tired of you calling Marth useless. He's far from it. Marth has speed, range and priority over most other characters, insane juggling abilities and an ABSOLUTELY GODLY fsmash. He's one of the best characters in the game. He's top tier and with very good reason!

Have you played a Marth that SHFFL's his aerials, chainthrows, and wavedashes effectively? The answer's no. I know because if you have, you wouldn't be calling him useless, that's for sure. Marth can be disgusting when in the right hands. Every newbie with a c-stick knows how insane his fsmash is. Add that with the many, many ways to chain into that fsmash and you've got yourself an amazing character.

Roy can be a good character if used properly, but he just doesn't compare to the unbalanced range, speed and knockback that Marth possesses.

Indigo Swordsman

diranithedemon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 6:45 pm
Indigo Swordsman

I'm getting tired of you calling Marth useless. He's far from it. Marth has speed, range and priority over most other characters, insane juggling abilities and an ABSOLUTELY GODLY fsmash. He's one of the best characters in the game. He's top tier and with very good reason!

Have you played a Marth that SHFFL's his aerials, chainthrows, and wavedashes effectively? The answer's no. I know because if you have, you wouldn't be calling him useless, that's for sure. Marth can be disgusting when in the right hands. Every newbie with a c-stick knows how insane his fsmash is. Add that with the many, many ways to chain into that fsmash and you've got yourself an amazing character.

Roy can be a good character if used properly, but he just doesn't compare to the unbalanced range, speed and knockback that Marth possesses.
Now Roy is definetly better then Marth. I mean he has the same juggling skill. He might not be as fast but he makes it up in strength. Overall he is definetly stronger. Sure his combos are as good but if you can use him right he does a hell of a lot more damage the marth  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 7:30 pm

I can't believe I'm arguing with you... -_-;

It's irrelevant that he's physically stronger. By your logic, Ganon would be the best character in the game.

The fact is that Marth has better range than Roy, and better knockback. He's the faster of the two and therefore can combo better. Also, since Roy's heavier, and thus a faster faller, he's easier to juggle and trap in combos. His weight also affects his recovery when knocked off the edge. These may seem like trivial things, but they are absolutely crucial in a tournament match. In the hands of a pro, Marth has so much more potential than Roy.

Some even argue that Marth is THE BEST character in the game. Even those who disagree with that accept that he belongs in the top three (along with Sheik and Fox). Are you familiar with the tier list? It's a list which ranks characters based on their potential when used by players of a high skill level. Marth places 3rd in the top tier; Roy places 16th in the middle tier.

I have a feeling that none of this will get through to you. My best advice is to find and download a video with SephirothKen's Marth in action. Maybe then you'll understand.

Indigo Swordsman

diranithedemon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 3:11 pm
Indigo Swordsman

I can't believe I'm arguing with you... -_-;

It's irrelevant that he's physically stronger. By your logic, Ganon would be the best character in the game.

The fact is that Marth has better range than Roy, and better knockback. He's the faster of the two and therefore can combo better. Also, since Roy's heavier, and thus a faster faller, he's easier to juggle and trap in combos. His weight also affects his recovery when knocked off the edge. These may seem like trivial things, but they are absolutely crucial in a tournament match. In the hands of a pro, Marth has so much more potential than Roy.

Some even argue that Marth is THE BEST character in the game. Even those who disagree with that accept that he belongs in the top three (along with Sheik and Fox). Are you familiar with the tier list? It's a list which ranks characters based on their potential when used by players of a high skill level. Marth places 3rd in the top tier; Roy places 16th in the middle tier.

I have a feeling that none of this will get through to you. My best advice is to find and download a video with SephirothKen's Marth in action. Maybe then you'll understand.
Ok so hes better but i dont think he is the best. I mean i think Link is when used by a good player. Ive been against some great people who used marth. They were wicked but i beat them by using some cool combos on them.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:20 pm
lol, u may think link is better, but im not gonna argue with u im just gonna laugh at u and tell u to D/L some vids of ken  

Phantom_Renegade

diranithedemon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:33 pm
Phantom_Renegade
lol, u may think link is better, but im not gonna argue with u im just gonna laugh at u and tell u to D/L some vids of ken
You know i could but i would still think link is better. He probaly isnt but im just been a big fan of Link for the longest time  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:05 pm
marth is 3rd on the tier list for a reason, hes amazing, roy isn't as good, i dont think ive seen any tournament won by a roy but marth theres many of them basically every mlg due to ken (except last sunday's)  

AnonymousJoe

ChaosGENE

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:53 pm
You guys might say Marth is better, but me personally, I like Roy. This is one of the most annoying things ever though.

When you do dolphin slash(?) with Marth, you're fast, but you're so vulnerable. That's what irks me the most, but with Roy, you do your blazer(?) and the foe goes up with you.

I prefer speed over strength yes, but I think that I'm better with Roy because of the strength. I just think that Marth's a little to weak, and the speed with Roy is just fine with me.

Indigo Swordsmen, it's your call. I'd like to have a small talk about this 3nodding

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:27 am
ChaosGENE
You guys might say Marth is better, but me personally, I like Roy. This is one of the most annoying things ever though.

When you do dolphin slash(?) with Marth, you're fast, but you're so vulnerable. That's what irks me the most, but with Roy, you do your blazer(?) and the foe goes up with you.

I prefer speed over strength yes, but I think that I'm better with Roy because of the strength. I just think that Marth's a little to weak, and the speed with Roy is just fine with me.

Indigo Swordsmen, it's your call. I'd like to have a small talk about this 3nodding

w8 did u say u use blazer as an attack ??? lol, u r a funny guy  

Phantom_Renegade

LoneWolf0828

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 3:50 pm
i like marth. his attacks are just so much more.....graceful i guess.  
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 1:26 pm
Maybe more graceful but roy does a hell of a lot more damage  

diranithedemon

Indigo Swordsman

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 2:17 pm
ChaosGENE

Alright. :3 I always enjoy intelligent discussion about things like this. Y'know, a break for the whole 'Link is best because he's awesome!' xd

Roy's a great character, don't get me wrong. It's just, well, Marth is broken. D:

Range - This would probably be Marth's biggest advantage over other characters. Why? Because it's crazy-a** long and it applies to all of his moves, even throws. Also, the sweet-spot of his hits is at the tip of the Falchion, which allows him to abuse the range. Don't quote me on this, but I'm fairly sure his range is the best in the game (Ganon's may be longer, I don't remember).

Priority - Marth out-prioritizes most other characters, especially in the air. This makes juggles just a bit easier since Marth is harder to swat away while in the air than Roy.

Speed - Self-explanitory. He's faster and can get more hits in, juggle better, etc. It's not that Roy's slow, it's just that Marth's pretty damn fast.

F-smash of DOOM - While Marth's dragon slayer does less damage than Roy's f-smash, it has advantages over it's counterpart. It has greater reach, which makes it easier to be hit by. It still does a decent amount of damage, and it has greater knockback. Almost all of Marth's moves can chain into a fsmash, but that's also true for Roy.

That said, I agree with your point that he's too weak. (He'd be disgusting if he were stronger, though. XD) Also, Roy's counter and upB don't suck a** while Marth's do. (I cut the dolphin slash completely out of my game and only use it to recover.)

I personally like Roy, and I like it when people take the time to learn low-tier characters. I main as Zelda, and she's even lower on the tier list than Roy. XD

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 11:33 pm
To Diranithedemon:

You are not alone, there are probably thousands of people out there who believe Roy is better than Marth, but the truth is is that Marth is far superior to Roy.

Below is the tier list:

Quote:
Top Tier
Sheik
Fox
Marth

Upper Tier
Peach
Falco
C. Falcon
Samus

High Tier
Jigglypuff
Dr. Mario
Ganondorf
Mario
Ice Climbers

Middle Tier
Luigi
Link
Roy
DK
Pikachu
Zelda

Lower Tier
Ness
Young Link
Yoshi
Kirby
Mr. Game & Watch
Bowser

Bottom Tier
Mewtwo
Pichu

If you'll refer to the above list you'll notice that Marth is ranked as the 3rd best character in the game, it is also interesting to note that the world's best player SephirothKen uses Marth as his main, bringing Fox in as well if the situation would have him need to use Fox.

If you'll refer lower down on the list you'll see Link and Roy ranked at 14th and 15th respectively.

A link winning a large scale tournament is all but unheard of and Roy's only notable success in the history of the professional SSBM scene is NEO's commendable placement at FC3 using Roy.

If you'll just read through Indigo Swordsman's posts with an open mind and watch some of the videos in my sig (Most specifically WounD of the WinD) you'll begin to have some 2nd thoughts about Marth.

Even though NEO is probably the most sucessful Roy player, he only became as good as he is from the teaching he received from Ken.

Now all this is not to say that your preference in Roy is unjustified, but in saying Marth is useless, what you've said is VERY much unjustified as you obviously have little knowledge of the professional SSBM circuit.

Can you tell me what a Shuffl'd Nair is? Or a Double Fair, or even the infamous "Ken Combo" (Which when I think about it, I may have the wrong idea on, it is a Fair -> Dair spike combo right?)

If you can tell me what the above techniques are, but still maintain that Roy is better than Marth, then well, you're either apart of the RITT movement, or are simply very closed minded.

I don't mean to offend you, even if it is probably inevitable.
---
On the subject of low tier characters, I'd probably go Roy as my main, the only way I can keep up when trying to use Roy is sheer dash dance mind games.

I use alot of grabs when playing Roy, and when you play at the pace that we (Meaning Me and Indigo Swordsman and others who play at an advanced level) play at, it's just too risky to try and pull off a forward smash just to get wiffed when they shield grab you.

My Roy game consists of alot of Jump cancelled grabs, Down tilts and Shuffl'd Fairs.

In the end when I'm up against a Marth with Roy, I can't juggle him well because he's not a fast faller, so I just throw Marth off the stage and attempt to edge guard.

I watched "Marquess of Pharae" which is a Roy combo vid on smashboards, and he liked to combo with Roy's Uair, it's amazing seeing him L-cancel every single Uair in the combo.  

ArcVyse

ChaosGENE

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 5:36 pm
Phantom_Renegade
ChaosGENE

w8 did u say u use blazer as an attack ??? lol, u r a funny guy
Rarely. I use it when I need to get back up stage (obviously), but that's really not the point.

What I meant to say was that Roy's attack goes slower, but if you hit the dude, then he goes along with the attack. However, if your Marth, and you use the attack. Sure you get on the field, and if you hit them, sure they lose damage, but they don't hit the floor. They just sorta like just stand there. And since he's lighter, it'll take more time for him to hit the ground. With that time, the enemy can use those seconds or miliseconds to fsmash you back out.

It's happened to me a couple of times. I just want to know how I can change that.

I played with him recently at my friends house and yes--he is amazing. I don't own a gamecube so...heh...

I think he's better than Roy in some prespectives but still--I'm more used to Roy. I'm going to try and convert. I also need some help in taking out the guy faster. My friends fox was 150% damage before he finally died u__u  
Characters

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff