Reply Sacred Sources -The Outer Forum -
Your opinion on Top 10 Things New Pagans need to know. Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Keistera

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 12:37 pm
x-posted here: http://www.livejournal.com/community/nonfluffypagans/413676.html - feel free to view the original post and comments.

While spelunking among the two Pagan Guilds I am part of on GaiaOnline.com (*insert laughter here*), I have noticed that one of the groups seems to be made up of - mostly - youth (or, due to the lack of proper grammar/punctuation, they come off as such). It got my little mind whirring and clicking, so I figured I would come to you all with this question:

What are 10 things you feel New Pagans must know? Now, the generalities of this question may cause mass twitching, so bear with me. For those of you who don't feel that your answers would apply to the majority of the youngsters entering one of a multitude of paths (a lot of them seem to be eclectic in the beginning), then state what path it does apply to. For example, a Celtic Recon would state, "Ten Things a New Celtic Recon needs to know", or something to that effect. Knowing what makes members of each path twitch may help newbies (such as myself) avoid these things. (I just know someone is going to add posts like this to their list, I know it.)

Once I get enough gathered up, I'll attempt to share them with the group in question. "10 things" may be too little to some of you. razz I'm also expecting snarky replies, because that's just the way things are.

This could be fun, so give it a chance, Mmmkay?

(By the way, I could use a Parrot Icon.)

--

The group in question is not this one, though it looks like we need more discussions. The Celtic Recon comment was more directed to a friend of mine, "my favourite Celtic Recon"... I'm sure you'll find her little comment and my reply, anyway. razz I'm looking for more path-specific items, if I can get them. If you have less than ten points, that's fine... and more than ten is fine, too... just please, for the sake of those of us who are having problems with Gaia, keep it... not too long. razz

And... Go!  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 2:20 pm
Well, I'm not sure if this applies at all to what you're talkign about or even if it's in the same ballpark, but I wrote when I was in the mood to give back some thing I had learned (or figured out) in the Wiccan/Pagan community.

http://www.fictionpress.com/read.php?storyid=1150732

If that is not at all what you wanted, sorry sweatdrop  

Atma311
Crew

4,350 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Conversationalist 100

Keistera

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 9:52 am
Thanks. smile

I'm looking for more than just one member's opinion on this, though... so the more replies, the better.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 1:09 pm
Well I have three things that you have to know in my opinion.

1. the elements all five (5) of them their directions and colors.

2. the Goddess and the God, how they can be contacted as a whole or contact a part of them through other God/desses.

3. what magic(k) is. Meaning how people view it.

but I guess everyone who steps on this path has to know these things...  

Rakei

Quadadiddle
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 4:13 pm
I read through most of those. Some are good.

And of course, most of them come off as pompous bastards who feel it's their soul duty to protect their religion from anyone with "teen" at the end of their age.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 7:00 pm
Some of them are a little harsh, but I am very sure that they're trying to prevent "fluffiness". The way they go at it, one would think they're trying to physically beat it out of the population. Ignorance is a pet peeve of theirs. O.o;

The problem right now is lack of education. Those new to the religions pick up those badly researched crap-books, and take them as the full truth. (I was like that at first, til I started looking for more opinions). When someone tries to tell them that they need to take a deeper look, they get offended.

I know I had more to say, but I really am not feeling well, so I'd best stop here. When I feel nasty, my brain slips out my ear and hides in a corner somewhere. I'd best look for it.  

Keistera

The Bookwyrm
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:02 am
I think it's interesting, and that there are a lot of good points, but there are really more than ten things new Pagans should know. Yes, some of it is decidedly harsh the way it's been presented, but some young Pagans really do need a reality check, and some of the more experienced members of the Pagan community get tired of being polite about it, especially when they go ignored.

I sat down and tried to do up my own list, and couldn't leave it at 10, although some of my points could be combined. I came up with 12, although they echoed a great deal of what had already been said.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:10 pm
10. we do not worship evil in any way shape or form
9. we do believe in divinity in nature
8. we have not animocity towards any religion
7. we do not proclaim to be the one true religion
6. we regognize the 5 elemts in nature, fire water earth air and akasha (spirit)
5.we celebrate the seasons of the earth
4. some practice the art of magick
3. our magick only has love in it, never hatred or other negative thoughts
2. "an' it harm none, do as ye will"
1. we are a pantheisitc religion legally regognaized and protected by the US government, and are not a cult

theres my 2 cents...i didnt put them in any particular order  

Akwila

Keistera

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:06 am
Akwila: Yours sound like they just apply to Wicca, as not all of the Pagan religions have the 5 elements, or the Wiccan Rede. If that's the case, please say so. Thanks. wink  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 4:08 am
Keistera
Akwila: Yours sound like they just apply to Wicca, as not all of the Pagan religions have the 5 elements, or the Wiccan Rede. If that's the case, please say so. Thanks. wink
oops, i should have specified  

Akwila

Elven Prince CJ

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 5:54 am
see thats the problem. Pagan is a branch turm, one branch would need different qualifications for the top ten ove another, so there is no real anwser to this question.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:41 am
Check the livejournal thread that I linked to in my first post. There are things that can apply to all - common sense items.

I have to compile those soon, anyway. sweatdrop  

Keistera

The Bookwyrm
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 5:51 am
One I would emphasize to new Pagans, even though I came across this little bit in a book on Wicca, is: "To will, to know, and to be silent." If you're Pagan and proud, great! But the whole world doesn't need to know! That opens up a whole can of worms and leads to snide comments, harassment, and general unpleasantness. You don't have to outright hide, but do exercise some caution in who you tell, and what you tell them. Your religious persuasion should be treated on a need to know basis: If a person doesn't need to know, don't tell them!  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:26 am
Gypsy Blue
One I would emphasize to new Pagans, even though I came across this little bit in a book on Wicca, is: "To will, to know, and to be silent." If you're Pagan and proud, great! But the whole world doesn't need to know! That opens up a whole can of worms and leads to snide comments, harassment, and general unpleasantness. You don't have to outright hide, but do exercise some caution in who you tell, and what you tell them. Your religious persuasion should be treated on a need to know basis: If a person doesn't need to know, don't tell them!

Oh, how right you are. Definitely belongs in the top-ten. I just wish that more new Pagans thought that way. Even I was rather careful when I started out. :/ Hell, even now.  

Keistera

The Bookwyrm
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:19 am
Keistera
Oh, how right you are. Definitely belongs in the top-ten. I just wish that more new Pagans thought that way. Even I was rather careful when I started out. :/ Hell, even now.

Ditto! When you grow up as a social outcast in a small town, you tend not to do things that are going to bring even more negative attention your way. Like, oh, say run up and down the hallways of your school screaming about how you're a Witch and you're repressed... Doesn't go over well. I had one other friend who was a Witch at the time, and that was all she wanted to talk about once she knew I was as well. Not my first choice in topics in the middle of English class when I'm supposed to be discussing Shakespeare...  
Sacred Sources -The Outer Forum -

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff