Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Which one is correct? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Which one?
  Dreamed
  Dreamt
View Results

Undertakers Girl

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 10:11 pm
ls it "dreamed" or "dreamt"? And yes, l do know the correct answer. ^^  
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 10:57 pm
It depends really...

Both of them are correct.

American English would make the past tense of the word 'dream' - 'dreamed'

But British English use 'dreamt' as the past tense for the word 'dream'.  

Kohy

Undertakers Girl

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 11:00 pm
Kohy
It depends really...

l'm sorry, but l would have to disagree with you there. "Dreamed" is not an actual word. lt's a word that was made up by the American's because we can't speak correctly. ^^; "Dreamt" is actually the correct tense of "Dream"  
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 11:09 pm
Krayla
Kohy
It depends really...

l'm sorry, but l would have to disagree with you there. "Dreamed" is not an actual word. lt's a word that was made up by the American's because we can't speak correctly. ^^; "Dreamt" is actually the correct tense of "Dream"

It is an actual word, it is even in the dictionary. I myself use the word 'dreamt' but that is based on the schooling system where I live as we follow England's teaching styles. American's have taken up to spelling a lot of words differently from the Old British way. Such as American's 'jail' would be spelt 'gaol' by the British. That is accepted, therefore, I believe that both 'dreamed' or 'dreamt' may be used, depending where you live.  

Kohy

The MoUsY spell-checker

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 2:35 am
Kohy
American's have taken up to spelling a lot of words differently from the Old British way. Such as American's 'jail' would be spelt 'gaol' by the British. That is accepted, therefore, I believe that both 'dreamed' or 'dreamt' may be used, depending where you live.

I've been attending a British school before, and I'm sure they used the word "jail" and not "gaol". "Jail" is probably accepted in British English. That said, it was a British school in Hong Kong, so it's not really British English. In Australia the word "gaol" is sometimes used though.  
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 9:21 am
The MoUsY spell-checker
Kohy
American's have taken up to spelling a lot of words differently from the Old British way. Such as American's 'jail' would be spelt 'gaol' by the British. That is accepted, therefore, I believe that both 'dreamed' or 'dreamt' may be used, depending where you live.

I've been attending a British school before, and I'm sure they used the word "jail" and not "gaol". "Jail" is probably accepted in British English. That said, it was a British school in Hong Kong, so it's not really British English. In Australia the word "gaol" is sometimes used though.

I've always used dreamt and jail. (I'm English.) Some of the older texts use gaol though, like I think Great Expectations does.

And as I remember, Lewis Carroll uses 'dreamed'. Of course, he also uses brillig and slithy, but hey, he invented the word Chortle!
*Checks.* Yes, yes he did, but the grammar in that sentence is wrong anyway. 'Which dreamed it?'

Ithaya

Kohy

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 11:02 pm
Ikonik Angel
The MoUsY spell-checker
Kohy

I've always used dreamt and jail. (I'm English.) Some of the older texts use gaol though, like I think Great Expectations does.

And as I remember, Lewis Carroll uses 'dreamed'. Of course, he also uses brillig and slithy, but hey, he invented the word Chortle!
*Checks.* Yes, yes he did, but the grammar in that sentence is wrong anyway. 'Which dreamed it?'

Well maybe that wasn't the greatest example to use, as said, gaol isn't used as was in earlier times. But my point was trying to bring across that both are accepted be they from different regions, similar to 'organisation' or 'organization'. But as for the book 'Great Expectations', I've never read it...so I can't really get the meaning of the words stated.  
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 3:23 am
Yes, realise and realize is another, I think. Realize is more commonly accepted, though.

And sulphur (this one annoys me). The Americans spell it 'sulfur', and as a result, this has become acceptable in English. I would like England to keep its spellings, please.
We've been given too much American culture as it is. *Curses McDonalds.*
Nothing against Americans, just against the fact they're turning the English into themselves (course it's our leader's fault too).

And as for my ramblings about Lewis Carroll -- that has nothing to do with Great Expectations (of which I've only read parts). Lewis Carroll (or Reverend Dodgson) wrote Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass. Among other things.

Ithaya

Mangabrary

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 8:51 am
Ikonik Angel
Yes, realise and realize is another, I think. Realize is more commonly accepted, though.

And sulphur (this one annoys me). The Americans spell it 'sulfur', and as a result, this has become acceptable in English. I would like England to keep its spellings, please.
Nothing against Americans, just against the fact they're turning the English into themselves (course it's our leader's fault too).

And as for my ramblings about Lewis Carroll -- that has nothing to do with Great Expectations (of which I've only read parts). Lewis Carroll (or Reverend Dodgson) wrote Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass. Among other things.
People spell 'sulphur' as 'sulfur'? I never noticed. I always spelled it 'sulphur' but I suppose not everyone is literate. (Hence this guild. Duh.)  
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 11:07 am
Mangabrary
Ikonik Angel

People spell 'sulphur' as 'sulfur'? I never noticed. I always spelled it 'sulphur' but I suppose not everyone is literate. (Hence this guild. Duh.)

'Sulfur'?! People spell it that way? Wow...I've only learnt it to be 'sulphur' and another one that annoys me is 'Aluminium' and 'Aluminum'. Why in the world did they find it necessary to take out the 'i'? I mean, I got talked off in my Chem class for spelling it without the 'i' when I heard that 'You follow the english teachings and spell it with the 'i'. I think everyone should just spell things the way they were to begin with, it would solve all my spelling problems in essays, especially to be told, don't spell something the American way....>_< Done ranting ^_^

As for the realise thing....we still spell it with an 's' and not a 'z'. It's pretty similar to the whole 'ou' in 'favourite, colour, honour' when the 'u' is normally taken out in the American Spelling.  

Kohy

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 12:11 pm
I always use "dreamed". I thought "dreamt" was like a past participal...

I spell "sulphur" just as it is.

"Aluminium"? I've never seen it spelled thus. I've always seen it spelled "aluminum".

As for the others, such as "colour", "realise", etc., I spell them the American way because I'm American. However if I were to move to England, I'd adopt the English way.  
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 7:13 pm
Shinobi 1977
I always use "dreamed". I thought "dreamt" was like a past participal...

I spell "sulphur" just as it is.

"Aluminium"? I've never seen it spelled thus. I've always seen it spelled "aluminum".

As for the others, such as "colour", "realise", etc., I spell them the American way because I'm American. However if I were to move to England, I'd adopt the English way.

I was just looking at a dictionary that says 'sulfur' is recognised both in the US as well as England when it comes to chemistry...apparently, someone forgot to mention that to all of the authors of my Chemisty Text Books.

As for the adoption of the spelling....I tried spelling the American way a few times when typing to my American friends due to the fact that some of them always seem to say something about "'favorite' doesn't have a 'u'", didn't work. I had to read back everything I wrote to make sure, then I gave up...  

Kohy

beliael

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 3:55 am
This is similar to the word "Spell".

The past tense of "spell" is "spelt" not "spelled". I keep seeing the latter around, and since I'm not American, can someone tell me if the latter is taught in America? Then at least I can cut some slack on those who spell it that way.  
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 10:21 am
beliael
This is similar to the word "Spell".

The past tense of "spell" is "spelt" not "spelled". I keep seeing the latter around, and since I'm not American, can someone tell me if the latter is taught in America? Then at least I can cut some slack on those who spell it that way.

I believe 'spelled' is spelt like that in America. XD That was kind of funny writing that. I also use 'spelt'.

Here's a site I found on the different spellings if anyone is interested...Difference in British and American Spellings  

Kohy

Lou101

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 11:06 pm
Thats a good site. I didn't know it was banque instead of bank.  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff