Manga VS. Anime *May contain SPOILERS!* Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Misaki_Chii54
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 3:45 pm
What do you think between the differences between the orignal manga and the anime series created afterwards? Example: Chobits and Chobits... Angelic Layer... Fruba, ect.

I think that it really depends. Sometimes the manga gets straight to the point.. which makes it really good and then the anime drags the series out so much that they get away from the main story line. Other times manga doesnt go into enough detail and the anime series does it just right.

After just finishing the Chobits anime series and already reading the whole manga series, I enjoyed the manga much better. The anime gets away from Freya and the Atashi books way too much. There's just a whole bunch of humor and perversion. I still liked the anime though.

With Angelic Layer, I liked the anime much better. For some reason the drawings that CLAMP drew just seemed wayyyy too rushed and wasn't that good. With the anime I liked how they changed it a little bit from the manga that Shuuko and Icchan were more intamite. ::shrugs:: THat's just my opinion.

What do you all think?  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 7:12 pm
I agree with Chobits. I felt that the story strayed from Freya, Dita, and Zima, etc. There were too many filler episodes. I thought the character designs were nicely done for the anime, though. I'm glad Chii's eyes were kept shaded from light to dark and didn't have regular *human* eyes.

I can't say anything for Angelic Layer because I have yet to finish the anime and have not read the manga, but I agree about the art. I didn't like it as much as Chobits (manga art, that is).
Furuba. I'm very intrested to see where and just how far the manga strays from the anime. I'm excited about that. 3nodding

Card Captor Sakura. I never liked the manga. Loved the anime, disliked the manga.

Magic Knight Rayearth. Haven't read all of the manga, but I've seen both seasons of the anime and enjoyed them throughly. I like the anime character designs better than the manga.

WISH. I've only seen a music video with the anime (and I think that's all it was, a music video. Like they did with X/1999), and the animation and character designs were bloody gorgous! Oh, how I wish for an Wish anime. crying

Gravitation...Need to see more of the TV series...

Love Hina. The manga by FAR was better than the anime series. I wish the anime followed the manga more closely even if more fan service was added, I didn't care. I also wish that the character designs were more like the ones in Love Hina Again, the OAV. They're much more truer to the manga. Love Hina could have easilly been a 52-episoder, but no. They squish it into 25. With an OAV and 2 specials (Winter and Spring).

Chii, you might want to put a warning in the thread title or just at the top of the page that this thread may contain spoilers...Just a thought... sweatdrop  

CherrySodaShoujo
Crew

Misaki_Chii54
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 7:28 pm
Neko-Yousei
I agree with Chobits. I felt that the story strayed from Freya, Dita, and Zima, etc. There were too many filler episodes. I thought the character designs were nicely done for the anime, though. I'm glad Chii's eyes were kept shaded from light to dark and didn't have regular *human* eyes.

I can't say anything for Angelic Layer because I have yet to finish the anime and have not read the manga, but I agree about the art. I didn't like it as much as Chobits (manga art, that is).
Furuba. I'm very intrested to see where and just how far the manga strays from the anime. I'm excited about that. 3nodding

Card Captor Sakura. I never liked the manga. Loved the anime, disliked the manga.

Magic Knight Rayearth. Haven't read all of the manga, but I've seen both seasons of the anime and enjoyed them throughly. I like the anime character designs better than the manga.

WISH. I've only seen a music video with the anime (and I think that's all it was, a music video. Like they did with X/1999), and the animation and character designs were bloody gorgous! Oh, how I wish for an Wish anime. crying

Gravitation...Need to see more of the TV series...

Love Hina. The manga by FAR was better than the anime series. I wish the anime followed the manga more closely even if more fan service was added, I didn't care. I also wish that the character designs were more like the ones in Love Hina Again, the OAV. They're much more truer to the manga. Love Hina could have easilly been a 52-episoder, but no. They squish it into 25. With an OAV and 2 specials (Winter and Spring).

Chii, you might want to put a warning in the thread title or just at the top of the page that this thread may contain spoilers...Just a thought... sweatdrop

Oh okay.... that might be a good idea... I kinda thought about that when I 1st started typing.. never thought about a warning.. me go do that.

There is a Wish anime? Never seen it before or rele heard about it. I think I saw one picture of the main guy in anime form, but I wasnt sure if it was part of an anime series or not or if I'm just thinking of things right now that my mind nicely made up XD  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 7:34 pm
I can only think of a few, and my opinion probably isn't very worthy, seeing as I've only seen or read part of each of these series...

Chobits: I've only seen the first eight or so episodes of the anime and read just the first three books of the manga, but I think that the manga is WAY better. I liked the art better in the manga; something about the coloring in the anime turned me off. I didn't get far enough in the anime to see Zima and Dita, but I find Dita to be EXTREMELY HOT! Zima, too, but DANG!

Gravitation: Read bits and pieces (well, I should say "large chunks" or "most") of the manga, which was WAY better than the first two episodes of the anime! The anime seemed to push the whole "gay" identity on Shuichi too much; in the manga, he was just a confused guy without love who was even more confused when he found love in another man. Also, the manga has a LOT more humor! It isn't as rushed as the TV series, either.

Excel Saga: Only read the first manga, but I think that the anime is also better. I've only seen the first two DVD's of the anime, but I like the second DVD way better than the first, which might explain why I didn't like the manga as much... still, the anime series itself has much more humor and jokes (or, at least, they're more understandable).

Oh My Goddess!: Anime wasn't great... it was only 5 episodes long! I only saw two or three of the episodes, though... sweatdrop The manga is very entertaining and full of humor and GREAT art! It's not rushed, either, and there's a lot more story than in the anime. The anime seemed to have just stuck to the main plot, rather than show the many side-stories of the manga.

Fruits Basket: As of yet, undecided. I like both a lot, though... the art in the manga is really good! The show is way cool! Both are awesome; dude, just check both out.

FLCL: Seen the whole show, but only the first manga, which I didn't like very much. The manga was much more confusing than the actual show itself, jumping from place to place and time to another time. Although the anime had some confusing points, it was much more easier to understand than the manga. Plus, if you watch the anime enough times, it becomes clear what everything means! 3nodding

Whether anime is better than manga as a whole can never be decided, seeing as there are so many anime-to-manga and manga-to-anime adaptations. However, I see how it can be fun to talk about this. It might even help with people making purchasing decisions!  

Cruzle

Misaki_Chii54
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 7:42 pm
Your opinion is always worthy ^^ Never worry about that if you havent seen the whole thing of a series. Everyone's opinion matters. You brought up some other anime I didnt think of.

FLCL.... omg I love that anime with a passion!!!! Manga... Read the 1st... kinda bleh. The Show was so funny. And then the music! THe Pillows! To die for! Best Jrock music EVA!!!!!!! lol

Excel Saga. Anime rocks! Watched up to the 1st 3 DVDs. Excel Excel is awsome. I read the 1st manga book. Totally turned me off with the manga series. Didnt want anything else to do with that.

Oh My Goddess... I rele liked the movie. I have never read the manga series, but I thought the Ah My Goddess movie was great. I watched one episode of the series. Didn't do much for me I'll have to say.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 7:49 pm
I think that the Plot in Furits Basket should be the same. I mean, in the manga, we get to see Rin (she's one of my fav's) and Kureno. I think that we should have seen them in the anime. 1-8 in the manga is basically the DVD's ( or so i've heard) and they're up to 14 in japan! So i wish the anime was longer.

Most anime and manga i have no problem with, it's just when the plots are different. As long as their similar, i have no complaints. It's just when they are different as day and night. Yea... stressed  

little wolf blossom

little wolf blossom

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 7:53 pm
The Ah! My goddess movie was great! I even bought it! The manga is good too. I like bother bersions, but i haven't seen the series, the adventure of the mini goddess sound cute though!

Cowboy Bebop: I tend to like the manga. I haven't seen a show, but i've seen the movie. I really like the movie, but the anime wan't appealing to me... *shrug*

Magic knight Rayeart... I dislike the dub.. It's just... -_-... weird... The movie was good. I love the manga! The manga is awesome.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 7:29 am
I can't decide one way or another. I guess it would have to depend on what series you're talking about. With Fruits Basket, I loved the anime and it is what got me started on the manga.
Petshop of Horrors: I love the manga better than the anime. From what I have heard, the anime isn't that long while the manga is up to v8 (that I have seen released). And the manga shows that Count D isn't a complete a*****e and that sometimes happy endings can come from his shop.
Meh...
My boyfriend would be a better authority to speak on this. He's into a lot more manga and anime than I am. sweatdrop  

Tobias Mule

CherrySodaShoujo
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 12:51 pm
I've heard a couple mentions of the Ah! My Goddess manga and anime. Wellll~ Some of you should leaping for joy because there is to be a TV series this fall. It's by the people who did the movie, so it's garanteed to look schweet~. blaugh I've already seen a magazine spread for it in the Japanese NewType and it looks really nice. Belldandy has the same out from the movie, the blue and white one. I can't recall Urd's. Skuld looks the same, outfit wise.
The director or producer says if the series goes well, he plans to do the entire manga series. eek This could be a looong series! YAY!

Some manga I forgot to mention...

Saber Marionette J. Hated the manga. Way too fan servicy for me. Blekk. I adore the anime up to J Again. I dislike J-X. razz

Kodocha. Kodomo no Omocha~!!! I loved the manga, but I love the anime even more because Sana raps her crazy little "Sana Raps", Babbit is in it, and I adore Hayama even more in the anime because his siyuu fits him so well. It's great. heart I can't wait till Funimation puts it out in 2005! 3nodding

Marmalade Boy. I liked the anime...about 3-4 yr.s ago. Pfff...The anime now is too annoying. The whole "I love you, but I might be your brother" and "Is he with that girl? or that girl?" The girl of the week! stare The manga basically follows the anime if I'm not mistaken...I didn't take the chance to read it all. razz

Fushigi Yuugi. Liked the anime better even though Watase's colored works absolutely frikking gorgous.

Sailor Moon. I love both. But both also have their downfalls. The anime has the youma of the week/day, while ....hmm...I can't really think....of why I didn't like the manga...because I lurve it. 3nodding

UTENA!!! Art was much prettier in the movie and TV series. Hated the artwork in the manga, blekk blekk and blekk.
And that's all for now, folks! *taps dances out of the form*  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 10:08 pm
hmmm I can't say too much because I haven't seen too many anime's that go to the manga's, or the other way around.

I have only seen like 2 episodes of Chobits and I'm not even sure exactly what two they were, and what I had seen I only recognized a tiny bit from the manga, but then the other one was like recapping past things that have happened. Like Shimbo was clearing out Plums memory Base like when Hideki had to get underwear for Chii. I agree with you about the eyes though I am glad they kept them that way.

I also have only seen like 3 episodes of Angelic Layer so I can't really comment too much on that though the episodes I seen were awesome. I was sooooo exstatic that I got to see them^^ It's been a while though and I really don't remember which episodes they were, but I believe it was around 9 and 10. I also agree that the Chobits manga art was better than the Angelic Layers but only after reading them so many times to decide for sureXP

I haven't seen the anime for Magic Knight Rayearth yet, though my friend has some on vhs and the rest on DVD. I haven't gotten to see them yet because of summer vacation and I haven't been in touch with him. Hopefully though with school starting up I shall be seeing them soon.

I have heard that the Gravitation anime sucks in comparison to the manga, I want to see and judge for myself.

I really want to see the Love Hina anime as well, though seeing as you think the manga is far better then the anime series then I guess I can hold off on seeing it.

Now I really like FLCL anime better than the manga. To me the manga art just really wasn't all that good plus for people not used to it, it was even more confusing than the anime. So I think the anime went more in depth even though its really shortXP and was way better then the manga.

I still want to see Furuba ;_; and I just realized that I am writing a lot of stuph in little sections ^^"

Cowboy Bebop I love the anime with a passion and the movie rocks all as well!! I actually wish that Electra would have been apart of the series but we can't all get what we want^^ Of course the anime had a solemn ending but it is still an awesome Anime. As for the manga, it was basically just some stories branched off of the anime, no real plot with the characters and everything or so I think. Also Cowboy Bebop: Shooting star wasn't that bad but the art really really bothered me.

Oo I want to see the PoH anime, though if sometimes they have a happy ending with the shop it just kind of ruins the whole point... doesnt it? I really enjoy the manga so I probably wouldn't enjoy the anime that much then.

Lets see for Saber Marionette J I liked the manga, I agree with you though that it was like that. I have discovered by all this talk that I really need to see more anime. Kodoma no Omocha is one of my favorite manga's and I am thinking of downloading the series because I know I would fall in love with it. I also love the Marmalade Boy Manga and would adore to see the anime. I will probably end up trying to download that as well. If not I know where it is on sale and since I love it so much I might buy it.

I love the Sailor Moon anime^^" I haven't ever read the manga but I believe it would be just as good as the anime.

Lets see one that I haven't seen mentioned is Ai Yori Aoshi, though I have not seen all of the episodes I have seen quite a few of them and I like the anime better then the manga. The anime was what made me buy the manga. For some reason I think that the anime has better art and I think That Kaoru looks different in the manga, chubbier maybe I can't put my hand quite on it. rather than that I love the manga, I just enjoy the anime better.  

PsychoAce56
Captain

6,450 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Statustician 100
  • Dressed Up 200

Nashen

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 11:09 pm
PsychoAce56
I have heard that the Gravitation anime sucks in comparison to the manga, I want to see and judge for myself.

The thing is, the people who created the anime tried to sum everything up that happened in the manga into 13 episodes (plus an OAV). I really don't know why some anime creators think it's a good idea to base an anime off of a manga then stray away from the original story.

This is the case with Samurai Deeper Kyo. The manga is decent (not the best I've read, but not the worst either) but the anime just sucks in comparisson. Once again the anime creators stray away big time from the original story line (most major characters were kept in tact but many minor character. Example: White Crow. I really liked this character. I only wish Kamijyo Akimine hadn't killed him off in the manga. In the manga he's an honorable and rather cool character. In the anime, he's an a**).
Usually, I stick to manga. Furuba is a special case though. For the most part, it was just as good as the manga. There were even some parts that I enjoyed better than the manga. The manga and anime even each other out.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 1:23 pm
PsychoAce56
Lets see for Saber Marionette J I liked the manga, I agree with you though that it was like that. I have discovered by all this talk that I really need to see more anime. Kodoma no Omocha is one of my favorite manga's and I am thinking of downloading the series because I know I would fall in love with it. I also love the Marmalade Boy Manga and would adore to see the anime. I will probably end up trying to download that as well. If not I know where it is on sale and since I love it so much I might buy it.

I love the Sailor Moon anime^^" I haven't ever read the manga but I believe it would be just as good as the anime.

sad
Ace, please don't dl anime that's already been licensed. I can't stand that. I know I can't stop you from doing anything, but...It's just not good for the anime biz. Plus, not all of Kodocha is subbed. The highest number of episodes I remember being subbed, was, like, 36. Out of 90-100 something episodes. I have the same opinions for Marmalade Boy. Don't dl, please. Buy. With as much manga as you buy, you could hold off and buy a box set or two.
*steps off her soap box*

The Sailor Moon manga is really good, I'd suggest getting it, but you can only buy in old Pocket Mixx fashion, so I'd wait around until they change it to left to right style. whee No harm in reading it in the stores though, right? wink  

CherrySodaShoujo
Crew

PsychoAce56
Captain

6,450 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Statustician 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 9:18 am
Well I don't even know how I buy as much manga as I do, but I can't really afford all the manga I buy now especially since my parents are getting a divorce and I don't have a job. The anime is really a lot but I do want to buy the marmalade boy manga. As for the Kodocha anime I wasn't sure if it was lisenced yet or not, If I can I will try and buy that as well the only reason I download is because I don't know if it is licensed or not or if I just can't afford the dvd's right now. I am also still behind in manga ^^;; I know for me thats like yeah right you just have too many series started to keep up with. Yeah thats true but there are a lot of series that I wanted to start that I didnt get too because my mom wants me to catch up on the series I own and then start the new series of manga which like 5 are already out in ;_; oh well I guess that is a good thing, at least most of the time I wont have to deal with cliff hangers... wait a minute... sorry got caught back on manga when this is supposed to be an anime thread sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 1:47 pm
I understand, Ace. 3nodding Especially about the catching up part. I really gotta get my a** is gear for the Saiyuki manga. I only have v1. gonk
As for not knowing about licenses, here's AnimeSuki.com's database for licensed anime!
http://v2.animesuki.com/licensed.php
xd
That should tell you all you need to know. wink  

CherrySodaShoujo
Crew

PsychoAce56
Captain

6,450 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Statustician 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 6:27 pm
Thanks Neko-chan! Yeah I love the Saiyuki Anime I really think it rocks all and it made me want the manga so I will have to try and pick it up once I catch up on the series I already own^^;  
TokyoPop Manga Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff