Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Is 'deconcentrated' a word? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Emmanuela

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 9:48 am
My English teacher (who is Polish, don't ask, I'm not Polish) told us that we were all deconcentrated after someone tried climbing out of the window. After this we looked it up in the dictionary, and, failing to find it, asked her how to spell it.

Could someone please tell me, is or isn't it a word?  
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 10:37 am
Amazingly, it is, but the context she used it in was wrong, I think.

The only definition I can get is 'to decentralize', the definition of which I cannot understand in my current state, but it appears to be to do with buildings and population.
Also, make less central; "After the revolution, food distribution was decentralized".

I am also contemplating whether it is solely American, with it not being in my dictionary (Oxford English).

Ithaya

Tangelo_Effect

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 10:58 am
I've heard it used before in different context, though I'm not certain whether it was used correctly or not. It was used in a fiction novel, used to describe a laser beam, deconcentrated. ( ie.. The beam spanned two feet in diameter, deconcentrated on it's actual target, as Holly brought the width down it began to centralize, and get a higher burn rate on the target.)  
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 11:01 am
Thank you^^ I'll have to add this to the Great Dictionary of my English teacher, the things she somes out with sometimes:p  

Emmanuela

Ithaya

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 11:24 am
Emmanuela
Thank you^^ I'll have to add this to the Great Dictionary of my English teacher, the things she somes out with sometimes:p

Does she just spout these long words?

Mine does. ^_^ She wrote about 'profound ramifications' on my work and told me my knowledge was 'esoteric'.
I was just: '...what?'

Oh, and I know what they mean now.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 11:34 am
She mixes up prefixes and suffixes, it's so funny:p She also spelled 'Spoonerism' as 'spoonierism' *laughter*  

Emmanuela

Ithaya

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 11:54 am
^^ And she's an English teacher? I hope she doesn't do it often.

My Humanities teacher can't spell...

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 8:03 pm
I don't know, I can't find it in my dictionaries...but my dictionary also does not give an end to Nixon's term...maybe I should get an updated one...  

Mia Eidenschink

Emmanuela

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 10:59 am
Quote:

Unfortunately she does>.< Though this last tern we've only had her for three lessons, we've had a substitute for the rest, who is way better then her, so it's probably a good thing.

We're studying 'An Inspector Calls' at the moment, has anyone else had to suffer this as wel?

Good spelling is the basis for a good life:p  
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 3:49 pm
My French teacher doesn't know the plesantries in French. We had to teach her them.  

Archdemonessa

Ithaya

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 11:57 pm
Emmanuela
Quote:

Unfortunately she does>.< Though this last tern we've only had her for three lessons, we've had a substitute for the rest, who is way better then her, so it's probably a good thing.

We're studying 'An Inspector Calls' at the moment, has anyone else had to suffer this as wel?

Ugh God...Insepctor Calls...That was annoying. As far as I remember, that's the worst of the coursework, but then there's the poetry...I'm pretty sure I almost failed my English Lit because of that damned poetry.

I love not having to do English lessons with the rest of the class...But it means I don't get taught. My teachers are printed sheets and the internet.

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 9:24 am
Quote:
Ikonik Angel

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 11:57 pm
Emmanuela Wrote:
Quote:

Ugh God...Insepctor Calls...That was annoying. As far as I remember, that's the worst of the coursework, but then there's the poetry...I'm pretty sure I almost failed my English Lit because of that damned poetry.

I love not having to do English lessons with the rest of the class...But it means I don't get taught. My teachers are printed sheets and the internet.

Wow, you get home tuition? My mum would have taught me, only there's quite a good school down the road... Well, apar from dear dear Ms. Bowen. I'm so annoyed with her at the moment, she said on my report that I need to expand my vocabulary. Expand my vocabulary!!! How could she say that? How? How???? I have one of the, if not the, largest vocabularies in the class, ghhhaaaaaa.... She's just jealous because she can't spell spoonerism...  

Emmanuela

Sola Catella

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 6:00 pm
Ikonik Angel
Emmanuela
Quote:

Wait, you don't like poetry? Poetry is wonderful! Poetry is English all dressed up in its finest clothes and looking beautiful! It's glory and beauty and everything that can't properly be expressed in prose!

Maybe you just haven't gotten any good stuff yet. Lear is fun, and Jabberwocky is wonderful at 'taking care of the sound, and the sense will take care of itself.'  
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 7:55 am
Sola Catella
Ikonik Angel
Emmanuela
Quote:

Wait, you don't like poetry? Poetry is wonderful! Poetry is English all dressed up in its finest clothes and looking beautiful! It's glory and beauty and everything that can't properly be expressed in prose!

Maybe you just haven't gotten any good stuff yet. Lear is fun, and Jabberwocky is wonderful at 'taking care of the sound, and the sense will take care of itself.'

Good description of Poetry, except why do we need to learn something dressed in 'finest clothes and looking beautiful' if we're just going to have to strip it of it's clothes and leave it ugly to the eye just to figure it out?  

Kohy

Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces