Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Weekly Show and/or Tell: May 15 Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

ForestGreen

Green Fairy

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 8:56 pm
Sorry I didn't get this posted earlier but we were running around quite a bit after school let out.
Same concept as before, post about the project or projects you're working on this week, or your progress from last week's project. Post pics or not, either way. Tell us as much or as little as you want about your projects. If it's a ready-made pattern please post a link or what book it's from, if it's your own design and you're trying to sell it, let us know. Readers please ask before using someone else's original idea, you never know who might be trying to make money off their crafty skills or where they live.  
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 9:05 pm
I'm still working on the wedding present for my cousin. I've got a few skull appliques made now. I made two with worsted weight cotton yarn and I've sewn one to a black round potholder. It looks pretty good, but I swear the skull is winking at me. I've also made about 8 skulls from size 10 crochet cotton. I've managed to get two of four sewn onto the corners of what will be a table centerpiece. I plan to sew two on to a set of oven mitts, and then I don't know how many will go on the towels yet. The skull pattern is here for anyone who didn't see it last week. http://crochet.about.com/od/halloween/ss/skullshape.htm  

ForestGreen

Green Fairy

Catcheen
Crew

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 12:25 am
You know, I really need to start taking pictures of things. I knit a beaded hat that ended up looking like a cupcake and some socks out of Possum Worsted. Mostly I'm moving though, so I haven't had a heck of a lot of time for crafts lately. *grin*

That's a pretty cute skull, ForestGreen!  
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 7:16 am
I haven't really made much (read any) progress on my Panda project. I'll probably work on it again before Saturday but I'm waiting for a couple of hats I ordered to arrive, so I can examine their construction.  

Rorek

AngwyMallard

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 9:21 am
I'm working on a satchel using this pattern with a bit different gauge and needles since I couldn't find anything corresponding.
I'm working with some brown Norwegian wool.
I'll hopefully be adding some Finnish-style wool embroidery on it after felting.
I'm already adating some traditional patters for it, but waiting to see how the felted pieces will turn out, first.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 12:22 pm
Catcheen
You know, I really need to start taking pictures of things. I knit a beaded hat that ended up looking like a cupcake and some socks out of Possum Worsted. Mostly I'm moving though, so I haven't had a heck of a lot of time for crafts lately. *grin*

That's a pretty cute skull, ForestGreen!

a cupcake?! you should totally take pictures!  

firrantello

firrantello

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 12:26 pm
KitsunekoChan
I'm working on a satchel using this pattern with a bit different gauge and needles since I couldn't find anything corresponding.
I'm working with some brown Norwegian wool.
I'll hopefully be adding some Finnish-style wool embroidery on it after felting.
I'm already adating some traditional patters for it, but waiting to see how the felted pieces will turn out, first.

oh, keep us updated. i love that pattern and i adore messenger bags, but i've never felted before and i'm a little worried to try it the first time on something that big.  
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 12:29 pm
this week i'm knitting intarsia for the first time really. I'm making my friend who went into the Marines recently a hat. It's navy with a thick red stripe in the middle-ish. On the red stripe I'm knitting "USMC" in white.

So far I have discovered that intarsia is not meant to be knitting and look clean on the back while knitting in the round. It looks wretchedly messy. Anyone have suggestions on how to cover it up (other than a full lining, because I'm worried that might make the hat too warm)  

firrantello

Peppermint Elf

Moonlight Warrior

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 2:42 pm
I haven't made a huge amount of progress on my Titania Capelet. I finished the first chain of flowers and I'm about 3/4's of the way thru the 2nd chain.

Last weekend, I went out and bought natural unpolished jute twine for Seaside Espadrilles. They say 4-ply jute twine is needed, but I could only find 3-ply. Hopefully, it won't matter too much... and if it does, I'll try and find 4-ply since it's not very expensive at all. 3nodding

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 3:24 pm
Peppermint Elf: I love those sandels! I'm a big flip-flop guy, I think its the only part about summer weather that I like. I'll have to make some my self!

firrantello: that's really nice of you to make that hat.
I think its really cool how your suporting him by sending him knitted stuff. whee  

Lee Kushrenada

firrantello

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 3:37 pm
Lee Kushrenada
firrantello: that's really nice of you to make that hat.
I think its really cool how your suporting him by sending him knitted stuff. whee

whee well, he's is my boyfriend's best friend and a close friend of mine. besides, he shipped to basic in january. i figured it'd be nice to get this sucker done for him by the time he takes his 2nd leave after school of infantry.
i'll definitely post pics though, i think it's turning out ok so far.  
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 4:48 pm
firrantello
this week i'm knitting intarsia for the first time really. I'm making my friend who went into the Marines recently a hat. It's navy with a thick red stripe in the middle-ish. On the red stripe I'm knitting "USMC" in white.

So far I have discovered that intarsia is not meant to be knitting and look clean on the back while knitting in the round. It looks wretchedly messy. Anyone have suggestions on how to cover it up (other than a full lining, because I'm worried that might make the hat too warm)
To be quite honest... it will look like complete crap.... until the ends are woven in. Once the ends are woven in, it's not ugly or messy at all. If the stitches are loose, you can fix them by tugging on them when the knitting is finished and then weave the ends in. Either way, the mess cleans up when it's done. 3nodding  

Peppermint Elf

Moonlight Warrior

Lee Kushrenada

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 5:14 pm
I don't have any friends that are going into the survice, but if I ever do I think I'ed like to do some thing like that.
or I could hake hats or whatever wit collage names and color's on them.
knitting just random things is fun...but I like to have some kind of reason behind it... like Harry Potter scarves to show my fandom.
I'm thinking of making a sort of Fruits basket sweater thing... I could put Kyo's face of the back of it or something like that.  
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 9:54 pm
I've finished painting the pages of the books (most pages are just one colour though a few have a vague pattern) and I'm in the process of finding quotes and verses to write. Any favourites you could help me with?

I also need to make 4 friendship bracelets/anklets for a craft swap. I may end up making 8 as some extra swappers were needed. I feel like I'm 12 again whee  

[Grendel]

gemini6184

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 10:34 pm
Well I finished the first sleeve of my sweater tonight at work. I'm preparing to move Friday so I will most likely finish the sweater on the 6 hours drive to my new home 3nodding  
Craftin'

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff