May 14th, Departure

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Elliot_Rhymeless

Nimble Pants

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 2:59 pm
I'm not sure if any other RK fans remember this, but in the story's timeline, this past Sunday was when Kenshin made the decision to return to Kyoto, after he discovered that Ookubo Toshimichi was assassinated. I've always thought it to be a very pivotal moment in the series, because of all the events that led up to it and all that happened in the wake of it, and so for the past couple of years now I've been observing the 14th as a kind of personal Memorial Day. I take some time to reflect not just on what happened in RK, but also on some of the decisions that I've made in my own life that continue to affect me, so it's kind of a gesture of respect and contemplation for me.

The reason why I'm bringing this up, though, is because I was curious if any other RK fans here also remember what happened on the 14th, and if anyone else also observes it as a kind of Memorial Day.

However, I have to admit that I was very deeply affected by the series and the ideas behind it, so I can understand if some people might think that my observing the 14th this way, or even observing it at all, is kind of strange. But as I said, though, RK had a very big impact on me, so while it might seem odd to others that I observe "Departure", as I've taken to calling it... I really don't think it's that unusual. I mean, we all have certain kinds of anniversaries and such that we all personally observe because they're important to us, and in my case (at least) Departure is one of those kinds of days.

So... anybody have any thoughts on this?  
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 10:52 am
Yeah, I see May 14th as a kind of RuroKen holiday. A bunch of people put up fanfics in honor of May 14th and thought about what it meant. This is what it means to me:

Kenshin said "sayonara" to Kaoru, hugged her and then turned and walked off into the darkness. How many times before that had he also left, always alone, never with a place to call home? He would always be driven out once the people he was staying with found out who he was or if they were targeted for harboring the ex-hitokiri. So he left, and that was that.

But this time, something different happened. Kaoru, Yahiko and Sano followed him. This was probably the first time someone he'd left behind went after him. Not only did they go after him, but they fought by his side and helped him to defeat Shishio. Kaoru made him promise to go back to Tokyo with her. It was that promise he made to her that gave him the will to get up when he was nearly dead.

If the others hadn't followed Kenshin, he would've died in Kyoto. This fact was certainly not lost on him and it was this that enabled him to finally permanently stop wandering and stay at the dojo with Kaoru, because he knew that he had a family that cared about him and that he cared for.  

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250

Sky~Samurai

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 5:02 pm
Okubo. Poor guy. But yes you are right this really was a turning point. And not only the killing of Okubo but also the fight between Kenshin and Saito. Unlike the other fights, yes even the fight with jin-e, Kenshin was not the full battousai. But in this fight even Kaoru could not bring him back as Sano said.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:58 pm
I think also part of it was seeing Kenshin being forced by Ookubo's assassination into having to choose between living as he had been up until then, or (in a sense) going back into his past and risk being consumed by the dangers that lay in wait there.

It also makes me think of Shishio and all the things that happened to him that led up to his plan of taking over Japan. In a way, both were in somewhat similar situations during the Revolution, but faced different consequences because of the side they chose to take in the conflict. I can't say I ever agreed with Shishio's methods or reasons for doing the things he did in the Kyoto Arc, but I could at least empathize with him for feeling and thinking the way he did after he was betrayed by the Imperialists.  

Elliot_Rhymeless

Nimble Pants

tsubasa11

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:51 am
Well, honestly, May 14th is a mark for rurouni kenshin for me.. it is one of the best scenes they made.. it really made me cry when i first saw it and brings a touch in my heart whenever is see the episode..  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:56 am
Oh wow, I've never thought of actually observing May 14th as a special RK kind of day. Although now that you've mentioned it, I think it's a lovely idea. I might just start doing that next year.  

hakubaikou

Elliot_Rhymeless

Nimble Pants

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 3:45 pm
hakubaikou
Oh wow, I've never thought of actually observing May 14th as a special RK kind of day. Although now that you've mentioned it, I think it's a lovely idea. I might just start doing that next year.

Usually for me I just spend most of the day in quiet reflection while listening to the Master Mix version of "Departure" once or twice, and then when evening starts to set in I sit down and watch episodes 28-31... Before I start on ep. 31, though, I also light a candle and set it in front of my bedroom window and let that burn for the entire epsiode. I suppose the candle thing is kind of silly, but I think of it something that just feels appropriate for the occasion... Like a candlelight vigil, I guess.

But it was a little odd going about it this year, since the 14th was also Mother's Day. ^^;;  
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 1:06 pm
I'm bumping this old topic of mine, seeing as how the 14th was this past Monday. Yeah, I know I'm late in doing so, but I couldn't get online until today. ^^;

So, did anyone else here observe this past Departure?  

Elliot_Rhymeless

Nimble Pants

~The Rurouni Kenshin Guild~

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces