Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Why they talk in such strange ways... Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you agree?
  Yes
  No
  Poll Whore Option
View Results

Mia Eidenschink

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 5:27 pm
I have found the reason WhY pEoPlE 74|_|< 1// 5|_|[|-| ways!

It is because, they want attention. It is the same reason why people color their text, it is so other people will sit there, read it, and then translate it. Sure, sometimes people will complain about the way they type, but do we not read it? Reguardless how crazy it is, we read it, translate it, then usually comment on it.

Scary huh? Yes...their ploys have worked on us...even us literate people...

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 6:34 pm
That and they want to appear special and l33t. Usually I don't bother translating.  

beliael

Ithaya

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 1:58 am
1337 |-|4><0|25...Supposedly it's cool.  
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 8:42 am
If it's too difficult to understand, I usually leave it.

But you have a point about them gaining attention using it. Although I can't comprehend why they couldn't just change the colour of their text if they wanted to be noticed. Isn't it better to be noticed for something good rather than for not knowing the difference between the alphabets and lines and numbers, and when they're to be used properly?

But then again. Humans are so complex. They complain about the simplest things to do with the English language, yet they waste time trying to learn something as idiotic as '1337'. It's a wonder why they can master that and not try and take up another language, for if they can comprehend what they're writing, they should have no problem picking up Spanish, French, German or any other language they put their mind to.  

Kohy

Zealot of Insanity

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 11:49 am
It is to:
Look cool,
Gain attention,
Fit into a group,
and/or
Look idiotic. rolleyes
Pick the one(s) you like.  
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 12:20 pm
I'd rather learn Japanese than 1337.  

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250

Zealot of Insanity

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 12:28 pm
Shinobi 1977
Same here, as well as German.  
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 5:17 pm
I'de rather lean Al Bhed, which is hard for me. But heh. xD  

Typie

LaForet

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 5:18 pm
metalmalzan
It is to:
Look cool,
Gain attention,
Fit into a group,
and/or
Look idiotic. rolleyes
Pick the one(s) you like.

totally agree  
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 1:33 pm
1337 is supposedly ornamental, and adds a little colour to their lives. TWO BIRDS WITH ONE STONE.

Well. stare

Lally Moxious

ilovemaryjayne

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 4:02 pm
Mia Eidenschink
I have found the reason WhY pEoPlE 74|_|< 1// 5|_|[|-| ways!

It is because, they want attention. It is the same reason why people color their text, it is so other people will sit there, read it, and then translate it. Sure, sometimes people will complain about the way they type, but do we not read it? Reguardless how crazy it is, we read it, translate it, then usually comment on it.

Scary huh? Yes...their ploys have worked on us...even us literate people...

Acutally, I find that I usually can't translate it. I can ponder on one word and never figure it out. I know, it's very sad, but that is why I joined this guild.
biggrin  
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 11:30 am
metalmalzan
Shinobi 1977
Same here, as well as German.

I learn, or have learnt, all three. As well as some other languages. 1337 is easy. Easier than Al Behd. And actual foreign languages, obviously.

I actually don't mind it. Unless people are actually trying to communicate a point. Thing is, I don't mind it because it's not a butchering of the language, as text speak is, it's a whole new alphabet in itself.

Ithaya

Sachiko13

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 1:38 pm
at the risk of sounding stupid...what exactly is "1337?" i have no idea what anyone's talking about when they say that, and it's really irritating me.  
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 8:56 pm
[ Message temporarily off-line ]  

KoshiDoragon

Buffy_Summers_Rox

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 7:33 am

I don't bother reading 1337 talk. If they can't speak English (not including like lol & brb- there's a line) then why should I speak to them?

Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff