Submit

Does Music Influence People Religiously
  Yes
  No
  I don't know
View Results

Tigersave209

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 5:11 pm

Does music influence religion... I honestly cannot tell. I feel that most of my Pagan friends listen to either Rock, like I do, or they listen to music without words, soundtracks from movies and the like. What do you think?
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 6:13 pm

I like european metal, industrial techno, celtic-sounding/celticingeneral music, and a variety of other things.
None of it has really been influenced by my religion, though Enya and the celtic stuff is very nice for meditation.

Feryal Riska

[GWW Guild Mule]

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 6:59 pm

I like a little bit of everything. <333
If it has a good beat, I like it.
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 7:03 pm

Great pagan artists... Faith and the Muse, Inkubus Sukkubus, Loke E. Coyote.... I can't really think of any others right now... but yeah, I love em.

Lila Malvae

[GWW Guild Mule]

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 7:22 pm

LilaMalvae
Great pagan artists... Faith and the Muse, Inkubus Sukkubus, Loke E. Coyote.... I can't really think of any others right now... but yeah, I love em.

I love Inkubus Sukkubus, but I never heard the others. <33
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 7:37 pm

Oh, you should at least check out F&tM... they're amazing. They have a myspace account if you want to hear some clips.

Lila Malvae

Jameta
Captain

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 8:56 pm

Music can influence someone's religious preference. Then again, so cana book or a painting; multiple factors can contribute, or it can be just a sudden feeling. The underlying reason(s) vary from person to person.

However, I would not say that listening to a certain genere would turn people into Pagans. In prominent example, the notion was held be extremist groups back in the 80s that rock and metal turned children into Satanists, and that proved dramatically wrong. Another example is my mom loves rock, but she's a devout Catholic.

I, myself, listen to a wide variety of music, including rock, metal, and country. razz
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 7:57 am

I'm not so sure about influence but i think it is helpful. When i was jus tlearnign about and starting my path i started listening to Godsmack (this was during the time when Backstreet boys and Nsync were popular so you can imagine the torment i went though lol)
Now i listen to Dead Can Dance, Kate Bush, Inkubus Sukkubus and the like. It helps me now in my practice but like i said i'm not sure about influence.

WickedDecember

Dapper Dabbler

4,450 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Elocutionist 200

Winter Black
Crew

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 10:15 am

Oh, Gods... Anything from Led Zepplin to Panic at the Disco... Mostly various forms of Rock. I hate most mainstream music now-a-days, though. ><;;
I really like a lot of Japanese Pop and Rock... And Japanese R&B drives me to a swoon, on occasion.
I like a lot of non-English music. Non-American, non-Canadian, non-British... Lyrics that I don't really understand. And a tonne of non-lyrical music, too.
But for the most part, I like Goth-, Punk-, and Hard Rock, and most forms of plain Rock. And New Rock.
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 6:00 am

i say it does because pepole make judges on on music all the time and i say the that your music is a way to show your soul. like pepole judge me cuz i love Marilyn Manson,death metal,rock,nio-nazi,punk,and rap. And yes Marilyn Manson needs his own genre

LawrenceIII

The Bookwyrm
Crew

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 7:37 am

I wouldn't say that music has influenced my religion so much as my religion has influenced my taste in music to a degree. I can listen to most genres to an extent; rap in very small degrees and provided it's nothing "gangsta" (I even wonder if Will Smith counts as rap any more), and I like the lighter side of metal; I love the guitar, but I hate having someone screech into a microphone. My father is a country music lover, as is a coworker this summer, so I hear a lot of that and it's not all painful, but I prefer to listen to rock, your stereotyipcal Maritime music with obvious Celtic influence xd , some pop, classical, show tunes, and anything else I come along that sounds neat. And the oldies. I love the oldies! Since last summer, I've really enjoyed Blackmore's Night, mainly for their medieval/Renaissance sound in most of their music, and I found them because they were featured in a Pagan magazine a friend had given me.

I say that my religion has influenced my taste in music in that since becoming Pagan, I've sought out music that to me had a more Pagan feel, something a little more earthy. That's how I found Celtic music. I'm also to a point where I'd like to be able to simply seek out Pagan groups and hear what they're about.
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 8:52 am

LawrenceIII
i say it does because pepole make judges on on music all the time and i say the that your music is a way to show your soul. like pepole judge me cuz i love Marilyn Manson,death metal,rock,nio-nazi,punk,and rap. And yes Marilyn Manson needs his own genre

You're a neo-nazi? gonk

Anyhoodles, I like to listen to Enya and nature sounds to help inspire me .. I also like a few bands like MCR .. ^^;; I just love their music and style, it's pretty. <3 I like traditional Celtic, Indian and Japanese music too. When I meditate I sometimes listen to a CD called 'Tai Chi'. It's superrelaxing. ^^

The Viscount

Liberal Sex Symbol

5,500 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Ultimate Player 200

LawrenceIII

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 11:30 am

shirokitsune
LawrenceIII

You're a neo-nazi? gonk

Anyhoodles, I like to listen to Enya and nature sounds to help inspire me .. I also like a few bands like MCR .. ^^;; I just love their music and style, it's pretty. <3 I like traditional Celtic, Indian and Japanese music too. When I meditate I sometimes listen to a CD called 'Tai Chi'. It's superrelaxing. ^^

no im not a neo-nazi but i like the music
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 11:44 am

Um, Neo-Nazi isn't a style of music, it's a political outlook which can be applied to music.

And Manson most certainly doesn't need his own genre. He gets easily pegged into hard rock.

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

LawrenceIII

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 2:19 pm

Nihilistic Seraph
Um, Neo-Nazi isn't a style of music, it's a political outlook which can be applied to music.

And Manson most certainly doesn't need his own genre. He gets easily pegged into hard rock.

nice job puting me down crying
Sacred Sources -The Outer Forum -

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces