• Wall Street 200
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 10:13 am

Coming Out of the Broom Closet
How did you do it?
Any advice?
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 10:18 am

Well, my mom and dad were supportive right from the moment I said I wanted to look into Paganism. So I never had a closet to come out of in the first place.

My advice, however, is that you be as respectful of them as you would want them to be of you, no matter what. And if they deny you, even if they are family, they are not worth your time, because they cannot love you for you.

Try to come out to the most understanding parent, first. Generally the mother, but not always.
Or, a sibling whom you really trust.
My brother knows I am bisexual, but I could never tell my parents.

Winter Black
Crew

Nicky McCloud

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 11:59 am

Y'know, that's a good question, Wicked. >>

As for me, I'm so far in the broom closet, I think I found Jimmy Hoffa.
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 12:00 pm

I've told my parents, but most of my family on my dad's side still might not be in the know. This year my grandmother passed away and the minister said some really mean, proselytizing things at the funeral, and later I informed him that I thought it was rude and crass and that he should think about what he says at funerals before he actually does say something like that. Well now half of my mom's side is in a huff because I lectured the minister at the funeral, even though they're all bickering and fighting over the things my grandmother left behind.... it's ridiculous. I am glad, though, that my mother stood up for me to my uncle. She told him that I'm probably a more "Christian" person that most Christians. (I personally hate that term, and would oppose it if it wasn't a complement) And she asked him how far he was along his path to righteousness when he was 19, and that whatever faith I choose is my choice.
They're still avoiding me... but anyway, when I told my dad, I thought it would be a bigger deal, but it actually wasn't.... he took it better than my mom did, actually. I guess that was him from his hippie days taking over.

Lila Malvae

[GWW Guild Mule]

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 3:26 pm

My family already knows that. They are the ones who got me into it. My mother has been a Dedicant of Wicca for a while now, and the rituals and stuff she did just got me really into it. <3

Now friends and stuff, thats a different case, I go to youth group every wednesday to hang out with friends, and everyone thinks I am a christian and stuff, I just can't come out there just yet. At the end of the school year, I am probably towards the end of summer or something, slowly just stop going to youth group and stuff. Then when school starts, I might be ready to tell my friends. <3
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 6:54 pm

You should just tell them. Then you'll know if they're really your friends or not.

Lila Malvae

The Viscount

Liberal Sex Symbol

5,500 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 7:07 pm

Nicky McCloud
Y'know, that's a good question, Wicked. >>

As for me, I'm so far in the broom closet, I think I found Jimmy Hoffa.
xd *keels over* That's pretty far in there I'd say. xD
Well, like Winter Black I never had to come out of the closet. My mum was already Pagan. xd She had me learning about the tarot before I was out of the womb. xd

I guess just because of my personality I'd have no problem coming out if I had to. I mean I'm not like wild and crazy, actually I look pretty ordinary albeit rather bohemian. But here's my advice: just tell them. Your parents, your friends .. everyone who you feel needs to know. Then let the chips fall where they may. If it's really important to you to practice your Craft, you'll feel better for it. Even if everyone freaks out it'll die down eventually. Be true to yourself.

Of course if your physical safety is at risk, keep it quiet. X_X
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 9:17 pm

I don't really understand the whole coming out thing anyway. I feel not the slightest ounce of interest in sharing my religious beliefs with anyone. To me, religion is very personal and the only beings that need to know about it are me and the Gods. I feel no need to tell anyone, especially if it will cause friction. This, however, does not mean that I hide my beliefs. I just don't flaunt them. If someone asks I'll be very frank, and if they don't ask, I assume they don't need to know.

midara the happy banshee

Winter Black
Crew

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 9:25 pm

Thats actually the same idea I have about my religion and my sexuality.
You don't ask, I won't tell.
But I'm not hiding it. You just aren't looking hard enough to notice it.
[smiles]
Its a great approach. Because if they do eventually ask, you have the right to say "I never said I wasn't, and you never bothered to ask."
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 9:38 pm

Winter Black
Thats actually the same idea I have about my religion and my sexuality.
You don't ask, I won't tell.
But I'm not hiding it. You just aren't looking hard enough to notice it.
[smiles]
Its a great approach. Because if they do eventually ask, you have the right to say "I never said I wasn't, and you never bothered to ask."

I know. It really minimizes the conflict.

On a side note, I looked at your profile. eek Two bisexual Hellenics in the same age group who vote with the Green Party and are in long-tern relationships? Holy crap. xd

midara the happy banshee

Winter Black
Crew

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 9:42 pm

midara the happy banshee
I know. It really minimizes the conflict.

On a side note, I looked at your profile. eek Two bisexual Hellenics in the same age group who vote with the Green Party and are in long-tern relationships? Holy crap. xd

Actually, that profile has not been updated since January, and that jerk broke up with me three days before valentines day... Heh.
And I'm not sure I'm a Hellenic... o.o I'm an ecclectic, who mostly goes for the Grecco-Thracian religion, but takes Gods from the Greek, Egyptian, and Norse Pantheons...
Heh. But yeah, go Green Party.

I should go update my profile.
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 11:22 pm

shirokitsune

Yeah, that's pretty much my problem. My parents are hardcore Christian, and I live in a VERY psycho-Christian area (gotta love Mississippi). There have been hate crimes here. >>;

My friends know, but that's about it. My family doesn't know. They think I wear an ankh for good luck and a Green Man pendant because I'm attached to my Irish heritage.

Of course, that last bit worked out really nicely for me... For Christmas a couple years ago, my father made me a small cedar box (about...a foot long, six inches wide, and eight inches tall) with the visage of the Green Man carved on the lid and a circlet of leaves carved in the front, which were done by a friend of his with a hot knife. It's gorgeous. <3 See?

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y38/nickymccloud/cedartop.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y38/nickymccloud/cedarside.jpg

Nicky McCloud

The Viscount

Liberal Sex Symbol

5,500 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 12:24 am

Nicky McCloud
shirokitsune

Yeah, that's pretty much my problem. My parents are hardcore Christian, and I live in a VERY psycho-Christian area (gotta love Mississippi). There have been hate crimes here. >>;

My friends know, but that's about it. My family doesn't know. They think I wear an ankh for good luck and a Green Man pendant because I'm attached to my Irish heritage.

Of course, that last bit worked out really nicely for me... For Christmas a couple years ago, my father made me a small cedar box (about...a foot long, six inches wide, and eight inches tall) with the visage of the Green Man carved on the lid and a circlet of leaves carved in the front, which were done by a friend of his with a hot knife. It's gorgeous. <3 See?

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y38/nickymccloud/cedartop.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y38/nickymccloud/cedarside.jpg

Oh what a pretty box! whee The Pearl family has a ceder chest that reminds me of yours, that's been around for ages. It's insanely huge and heavy though and filled with old family things. I would really love to have it here where it will be loved and taken care of .. but my eeevil aunt has it. She keeps eightthousandbillion papers and bills on it and never dusts it or even looks at it. -____-;;;

Yeah I agree with Midari. <33 I never bother with telling people my beliefs unless they directly ask me. I don't keep it really secret but most people can guess it anyway just by my interests. xD One time I mentioned to a fellow co-worker at Taco Bueno that I'd be doing something on "Thor's-day" and he stopped and went "Hey .. wait, how do you know about that?" and I told him I was interested in those types of things. Then he said "wow, me too, I'm Pagan." I nearly fell over. XD You find Pagans where you never thought you would sometimes.
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 4:47 am

*shrugs*

I'm out of the broom closet with my friends. But at work or at home, I'm still in the closet. I know for a fact that most of my family will be upset. My brother and sister know, but since they also turned away from the Catholic Church, they're not going to out me. As for work...they are my co-workers. I don't believe in mixing business and pleasure. And my spirituality isn't any of their business, anyways.

LunaInverse

Cheery Sweetheart

17,000 Points
  • Way Too Many Pies 300
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Champion 300

Starlock
Crew

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 6:31 am

I'd say that I have half of me inside and half of me outside. If people ask, I tell them, but I don't overtly advertize what I am. At work especially I am a bit weary of revealing anything as the job is still new and I have no idea how people in this new city would react. However, as I use Gaia Online AT work, all someone would have to do to find out is peep over my shoulder at an inopportune time (chuckles). Religion is one of those things one should keep out of the workplace anyway.

As for family and friends... it's a case that those who have asked, know about it. Most of my friends do not discuss religion at all, so it does not come up. My parents of course know about it, but I trust them with anything and everything. Haven't talked to them at depth about it, so I'm not sure how they feel exactly about it. But I know their love for me isn't conditional on my religion and they trust me to make good decisions.
Sacred Sources -The Outer Forum -

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff