Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Have You Noticed... Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Have You Ever Experienced This?
  Yes.
  Alas, no.
  Perhaps.
View Results

Embodiment Of The Living

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 3:10 pm
Have you ever noticed that when you type a word multiple times, it starts to look strange?

Try it and see.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:14 am
Same goes for when you say a word over and over again as well.

manatee manatee manatee manatee manatee manatee manatee manatee manatee manatee manatee manatee manatee manatee manatee manatee manatee manatee manatee manatee manatee manatee manatee manatee

book book book book book book book book book book book book book book book book book book book book book book book book book book book book book book book book book book book book book book book book book book

Yeah, they do start to look rather strange. Probably something to do with the brain's way of perceiving them.  

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250

GabbySilverwood

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:38 am
I think it's a self defense mechanisum to prevent a single word from getting stuck repeating over and over again inside of your head. Seriously, can you picture how bad that would be?  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:21 am
How about if you sit there and say a word over and over, it starts to sound werid. Or maybe that just me thinking to must about just a word. confused  

dark_elf

Litia_Echo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:00 am
When I do that, I start thinking that i am misspelling the word. Ack, it always gets to me...  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:52 am
Maybe there is something scienctific about it?  

Katleene-chan

6,800 Points
  • Consumer 100
  • Clambake 200
  • Signature Look 250

Ithaya

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 3:14 pm
Well it's hardly surprising really...

But I've had so much fun with that fact before...

One time, when I was in a really weird mood, I walked along eliminating certain words from a friend's vocabulary by repeating them so much she practically forgot what they meant. "Pie," "glory," and "jack" were some. By the time we arrived at her house, we were both questioning the meaning of those words.
It was rather amusing, really. Well, highly amusing, considering the state I was in.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:48 am
I'm weirded out by typing fall over and over again.

I kept typing fall backwards, or just wrong.  

jocef_XP

Orange Noise

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:44 am
I find this works particularly well with the word "Golf."  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:45 am
It doesn't just happen with typing a word, either... I've found that if you read the same word over and over, it starts to look unfamiliar, as though I'd never noticed before how it was spelled. That happened to me a couple times when I was reading through a book and looking for words I didn't know. I'd read a word a couple times, and then I'd decide I didn't really know the word, even if I did, because it looked so strange those last few times I read it.  

NikiPound

Thankful Elder

7,300 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200

Embodiment Of The Living

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:25 am
M'hm. Perhaps it is because it is just... I fail to explain it. Perhaps it is so because if you start to get a word stuck in yoiur mind...It could drive you to insanity.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:27 pm
Time may fly, tears may dry~

~If you write it down using paper and pencil, it doesn't do that. However, if you type it out, it does. Why? Because the human brain is registering the blots and blobs of the typed words. After receiving the same blots and blobs, the brain gets confused and starts to think something is wrong.

Well, that is my understanding sweatdrop

But our friendship will never die~

KoshiDoragon

Sachiko13

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:24 am
this happens to me all the time, mostly with the word "leprechaun." mainly because my user name is "ladyleprechaun" on many websites, and i log onto all of them at the same time. at around the second or third, i start getting confused.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 7:43 am
i have a problem with the word "banana" when i say it over and over and the start saying jumbled up versions of banana. then my friends laugh at me. lol  

DulcetMelody

Death By Fruit

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 4:45 pm
Also, when you say a word multiple times in a row, it begins to lose it's meaning.

Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff