Submit

Do you support this change?
  Yes
  No
  Undecided
View Results

LimeyFish8

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:46 pm
Quite recently there has been a lot of tumult over the issue of the growing Hispanic population in America. Hispanic activists have been pushing for more and more widespread duality. There have even been movements to translate the national anthem and other national symbols to be bi-lingual. Due to our current status our nation has no national language.

Personally I feel that a group who is here illegally should not get this much pull in our country. If they truely want to be American there is already a process that can be undertaken to do that. Already our country is bending over to provide people who don't speak english other options. Most of the state mandated paper work can be done in spanish at this time (at considerable cost to the government). The suggestion that we should translate the national anthem and accept it nationally is rediculous. The founding fathers did not create a national language because they were too busy fixing other critical problems. It was left like that because people didn't think there would ever be a time where someone would say "I want you to translate the most widely used language in this nation so my immigrant friends and I can live here in more comfort." I know it people will say it is racist, but it is not, if you are going to live in a country you should at least learn its language.

What are your thoughts on this? (please post)  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:03 pm

Illegal immigrants have no say in what our government does, because they, are just that, illegal. They aren't registered citizens of the United States and thus don't have a say in any matters that go on in the way the country is run. They wanna say, then they can apply and become a citizen.

I'm tired of Spanish becoming a mandatory language just because our country bends to people that aren't suppose to be here. (Not that I have anything against the language itself, since I've taken Spanish in High School.)

[Onigiri]

5,300 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Person of Interest 200

Treya Ochiern

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:38 pm
(>^_^)>User Imageo(.__.o)

I really should have no say in this matter, considering I live in Canada, but here are my thoughts anyway. xP

Like both of you pointed out, a lot of the hispanic population are there illegally. Canada is bilingual because the French were here since settlement, along with the British, therefore they have equal rights, but this is almost like invading a country yet demanding to be given special rights.

If the Hispanics are pushing for bilingual status, I think, if anything, Chinese should be counted as a second language as well because Chinese people are /everywhere/ and make up most of Earth's population.

[Not saying it should. Just, y'know, for comparison.]

Jaejoong: We poked jellyfish at the beach.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:44 pm
In my opinion, someone who is illegal within this country should not be able to reap the benefits intended for citizens.. neutral
Also, they deplete the economy by working less than minimum wage, and make so many people jobless. I know there is an argumaent saying that they do jobs that citizens don't want to do, but someone did them before the cheap laborer entered the situation.
Therefore, I do believe in mass deportation, and I do not believe in what President Bush has proposed, letting some of them come here with certain cards and being able to work without being actual citizens.
In my opinion, "No habla ingles, no stay here free. No Green card, get the hell out". Also, my opinion about "anchor babies"...The mothers come here illegally and have the baby, who is automatically an American citizen, and get to stay. I think that the illegals are definitley abusing this privelege, and like my mom says, "abuse priveleges, and they are removed".

Sorry if I offended anyone.

[.Riku.Diku.]

10 Dollar

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:36 pm
I see no reason at all why we should adapt our country for illegal immigrants. If they're coming to live in America, then they need to become citizens, and learn english; it's not fair that they can just come here and act as if they're still in Mexico, then get to have priveliges and special treatment because they refuse to adapt to our country.

Another thing that really bothered me was when all those students ditched school to hold protests. Since parents and teachers were concerned about having students ditching school, a protest was organized over the weekend. But did students show up? Of course not. I bet most of them didn't even care about what they were supposed to be protesting for; they just wanted an excuse to get out of school. (Especially if any of the protestors were not hispanic, LOL.)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:09 pm
I say let them in if they can learn our language. Our country since it's existence has offered the motto "Life, Liberty and the pursuit of happiness" We are a country of immigrants and should deny no race.  

Die_Katze

prettikittibaby

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:22 pm
*sigh* *deep breath* Not all Mexican, or Hispanic people are illegal. *sigh*  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:28 pm
10 Dollar
I see no reason at all why we should adapt our country for illegal immigrants. If they're coming to live in America, then they need to become citizens, and learn english; it's not fair that they can just come here and act as if they're still in Mexico, then get to have priveliges and special treatment because they refuse to adapt to our country.

Another thing that really bothered me was when all those students ditched school to hold protests. Since parents and teachers were concerned about having students ditching school, a protest was organized over the weekend. But did students show up? Of course not. I bet most of them didn't even care about what they were supposed to be protesting for; they just wanted an excuse to get out of school. (Especially if any of the protestors were not hispanic, LOL.)

I don't think that we're adapting our country. That makes it sound like it's forced change. If the country changes, it changes. *shrug* Naturally. That's the way that I feel. I also think, that lost of foreign countries have signs in more than just their language, and I've heard American tourists complain when they didn't. English isn't even the official language, and as I said, they're not all illegal, and I don't think that there's that much of a pull for this. I think certain people are just, exacerbating the situation because it's an election year. *shrug*

I also don't understand how it's our country. What gives one group of immigrants the right to claim this place as "theirs" but another one doesn't? Because they're more recent? Once again, in my opinion, that's what makes this country what it is, or atleast... it should... the fact that we accept change, and new people---> IE: Immigrants.  

prettikittibaby

prettikittibaby

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:36 pm
rikudoll
In my opinion, someone who is illegal within this country should not be able to reap the benefits intended for citizens.. neutral
Also, they deplete the economy by working less than minimum wage, and make so many people jobless. I know there is an argumaent saying that they do jobs that citizens don't want to do, but someone did them before the cheap laborer entered the situation.
Therefore, I do believe in mass deportation, and I do not believe in what President Bush has proposed, letting some of them come here with certain cards and being able to work without being actual citizens.
In my opinion, "No habla ingles, no stay here free. No Green card, get the hell out". Also, my opinion about "anchor babies"...The mothers come here illegally and have the baby, who is automatically an American citizen, and get to stay. I think that the illegals are definitley abusing this privelege, and like my mom says, "abuse priveleges, and they are removed".

How is it an immigrant's fault that buisnesses break the law? Why are we chasing after a symptom, instead of the cause? Shipping out all the illegals, does NOTHING, when the buisnesses will still be around, traveling the world, and fishing for new people to take advantage of.

I have a question: Have any of you actually ever met an immigrant?

I have. They came here legally. But they haven't been fully naturalized yet. They can't get driver's liscenses. They can't hold the jobs here that they did in Mexico. (Yes, I know this begs the question, why don't you just go back?) The government stopped giving loans in Mexico about 7 years ago, causing this architect to lose his job. Now, he works in construction, doing manual labor, and is 57.

I, myself, am a brown person. I was not born in the U.S. I've been called a dirty mexican. I've been called an illegal immigrant. News flash to the ignorant white folk, I was born in England. (not saying that YOU guys are the ignorant white folk... just, people I encounter in real life).

Also, I know a man who got deported... On a small technicality. His wife and family got to stay... but he had to go back to Columbia. I think it was because he got in a car accident or something. *sigh*  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:40 pm
Treya Ochiern
(>^_^)>User Imageo(.__.o)

I really should have no say in this matter, considering I live in Canada, but here are my thoughts anyway. xP

Like both of you pointed out, a lot of the hispanic population are there illegally. Canada is bilingual because the French were here since settlement, along with the British, therefore they have equal rights, but this is almost like invading a country yet demanding to be given special rights.

If the Hispanics are pushing for bilingual status, I think, if anything, Chinese should be counted as a second language as well because Chinese people are /everywhere/ and make up most of Earth's population.

[Not saying it should. Just, y'know, for comparison.]

Jaejoong: We poked jellyfish at the beach.

Hispanics were here too. Anyone remember the Mexican Wars? When the U.S. took Texas, which used to be a part of Mexico? When we took the Pacific settlements... from Spain? Los Angeles, anyone? LOTS of towns in the west have Spanish names from the missions that were there first. There were Spanish people here, they settled here. The Chinese didn't.  

prettikittibaby

prettikittibaby

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:41 pm
What do you call a person who speaks 3 languages? Tri-lingual
What do you call a person who speaks 2 languages? Bilingual
What do you call someone who only knows one language?

American.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:42 pm
LimeyFish8

Personally I feel that a group who is here illegally should not get this much pull in our country. If they truely want to be American there is already a process that can be undertaken to do that. Already our country is bending over to provide people who don't speak english other options. Most of the state mandated paper work can be done in spanish at this time (at considerable cost to the government). The suggestion that we should translate the national anthem and accept it nationally is rediculous. The founding fathers did not create a national language because they were too busy fixing other critical problems. It was left like that because people didn't think there would ever be a time where someone would say "I want you to translate the most widely used language in this nation so my immigrant friends and I can live here in more comfort." I know it people will say it is racist, but it is not, if you are going to live in a country you should at least learn its language.

What are your thoughts on this? (please post)

I'm pretty sure that English isn't the most widely spoken language on Earth.  

prettikittibaby

blackiza

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 8:36 am
Treya Ochiern

Hispanics were here too. Anyone remember the Mexican Wars? When the U.S. took Texas, which used to be a part of Mexico? When we took the Pacific settlements... from Spain? Los Angeles, anyone? LOTS of towns in the west have Spanish names from the missions that were there first. There were Spanish people here, they settled here. The Chinese didn't.
remember the french and indian wars? british won the french had to get the hell out of thier new land. french can follow it what makes the mexicans special?  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:18 pm
blackiza
Treya Ochiern

remember the french and indian wars? british won the french had to get the hell out of thier new land. french can follow it what makes the mexicans special?

Because the Spanish had been here longer.

And the French didn't cede any land to the US. Hello? Canada... yeah, they speak French, because they'd didn't move back.  

prettikittibaby

Paperclip Cookies

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 9:18 am
rikudoll

Alright, they are happy with those damn minimun wages because right now, they are living in riches compared to what they used to have over there, whether it be Mexico, El Salvador, Guatemala or any other dang country that is having government issues. They come here looking for a new life (much like the British and other countries long long ago). They are trying their best to raise their children in a better world than what they had as a child.

And Mass deporation, Why don't the united states do something about it on the damn border? Seriously, the Mexican Border is becoming more and more dangerous, and all the United States has to complain are the illegals already here?

Sorry if I sound like an idiot, but I have to deffend what I believe in I guess.  
Literate Hell

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff