Poll Guild of DOOM liek totally doomy and stuff 

Tags: Poll, DOOM, Elephant, Guild, Silly 

Reply Literate Hell
Atheism vs Christianity Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

If you don't feel offended, what are you?
  Atheist
  Christian
  Hindu
  Buddhist
  Other....
View Results

[[Ninja Sammich Saka]]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:04 am
Well, I have been in many fights about religion now and want to knwo other points of view.

Many people don't believe in Jesus, and that is your lifestyle I suppose, but being a Christian, it just concerns me slightly. Many atheists have started to go on and on about how Jesus isn't coming back, that he never existed and so one, but I don't see how that is. There is more scientific evidence to show that Jesus did live than there is to prove that bacteria exist.

With the Davinci Code coming out, even more people's belifs are being swayed. Now, I haven't seen the movie myself, and not because I go to chruch, just because I'm broke, but I know what it's basically about. Many people think that it is based on facts, but it isn't. It's just a work of fiction by a very talented writer.

So why is everyone so concerned about the Rapture, even if they don't believe in it?

Sorry, I know that didn't flow, it's just a bunch of stuff in one post...  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:29 pm
I'm a Christian, and I do believe in Jesus Christ. To me it's all about faith. I love him so much and I have faith that he did exist, that he is INDEED coming back someday and other things.

I want to see the Da Vinci code because it looks like a good fiction movie by a good writer. The book was great. So yeah.

I just hate when people stereotype Christians as b***h type people. I've seen it alot and yeah.

So, yes. I love Jesus.  

Captain John Stamos

LimeyFish8

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:06 pm
As a sort of agnostic athiest I don't believe that Jesus was the son of god because I don't believe god exsists. I do think that he was a revolutionary theist who created what he thought was an entirely new way of looking at things. Beyond that he was just a guy who people idolized, to me. The DaVinci Code was, quite frankly, a dull and tedious movie made from a similarly themed book. The only parts I liked were the ones with Ian Macallister because he is such an amazing actor. I believe that Jesus is not coming back, thats what my personal doctrine dictates, but I do believe he exsisted (you can't ignore all of the historical evidence just to justify beliefs). Whether he had sex and created offspring or not and whether the catholic church is covering it up or not is really unimportant, to me.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:40 pm
I wouldn't place myself as an agnostic or athiest. I've been brought up with many spiritual beliefs and have been left to make up my own decision. My Mum was a Christian, a very lenient one, but well still one and my Dad is a Budhist.
But the one thing that is bugging me is the first post where it states that there is more evidence to say that Jesus was about (that I'm not refuting) than there is that bacteria exists. I'm sorry but the evidence of bacteria is far more extensive then there is about Jesus. I understand where you were going with that statement but it just didn't make sense.
And I'm sorry that you have so very pushy Athiests where you are that are stating that Jesus isn't coming back, but I believe everybody is justified to their own belief and by pushing your own on other people just proves how insecure you are in your own you are.
And the experience I've had with Christians hasn't always been that good. In my own opinion (and I'm sorry if it disputes yours) most organised religions are pushing, Christians are the only people I get harassed by on the street. I don't want to get told on my way to work that if I don't convert I'll burn in hell... but honestly there are a lot of fanatics where I live.
Why do I feel like I have gone off on a tangent? Basically I think as long as you are truely secure in your own belief, what other people say shouldn't bug you. I don't believe in Jesus and I don' believe in any resurection, I believed he existed but he wasn't how the bible depicted him.
Thank you and goodnight...  

Goddess_of_lint

Die_Katze

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:06 pm
Athiest. I think to many wars have been started over religion and none of the religions ever seem right or have loop holes to me.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:09 pm
I'm not going to get into this, all I'm saying is that I'm Christian.

Ponworxz

CainZeros

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:11 pm
Athiest and proud of it. Jesus was a great man but he was just that, a man. He may have chosen to live his life alone and without sex, but he was still human. When he died, he died.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:08 pm
Great writer?
I wouldn't say that.
I've read Digital Fortress and I'm more than halfways through The Da Vince Code.... And he really isn't all that good a writer. Good, maybe. But not the 'god' people have made him.
Many things are quite predictable. I broke codes before the NSA top cryptographers in Digital Fortress did...  

Neztnerol
Vice Captain

Mrs Reaper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:13 am
I am neither a Christian or an Athiest. I have my own religious beliefs, although they are complicated so I shan't go into them.
I do believe Jesus existed (Wether he was or was not actually called Jesus), he's in too many religions for him not to have, the Koran recognises him as a prophet and I tend to agree with this enterpretation more.

I also enjoy studying myths of many different cultures and in all of the ones I've studyed there has been a child born of god and mortal. I think this is merely symbolic. The joining of the Heavens and the Earth, a union of sorts. Denoting harmony between the two.

Now I'm very open minded about religion, and to tell the truth, I love to discuss it. The only problem I have with it are the fanatics (It's not just Muslims that can be fanatics, ANYONE can) that believe it's their job to tell me how to live my life and if I should disagree then they can harrass me untill 1. I Believe or 2. I die and burn in hell/ Float in purgatory/ [insert holy punishment here].

What most religious people lack is the ability to listen, learn and understand. Ironic, really, as that's what the Bible tries to teach. I've also found many people of "Strong" faith will judge others on how they dress or how they move. I've been chased home before by a man shouting at me telling me to "Repent your sins!" "Jesus still loves you, don't turn away from him!" I did NOTHING to suggest I was evil, sinful or even had my back turned on Jesus Christ. All I was doing was struggling with heaving shopping bags and trying to get home before my ice-cream melted. Does the Bible not say "Judge not lest thou be judged"?
Now, I'm not saying all religious people are like that, just outlining the ones that annoy me the most, The ones that claim to follow the Bible, but then ignore it when it suits them.

I was raised a Catholic and the experiance of it has left me slightly traumatised. I cannot view a crucifix. The sight of a man cut open and bleeding, hanging on a cross waiting to die a slow and painful death does not fill me with awe and love. It fills me with fear and anger. If Jesus were to really come back, do you think he'd want to be reminded of the horredious death he suffered by the ignorance of man? Would it fill him with love for his worshipers to find out that they'd scared people into following their religion by promising eternal pain and suffering should you die with sin? Even a new born child, if it dies before being baptised, is sent to purgatory, it's not allowed into heaven because it's soul is tainted with "orignal sin". And they have no choice, they were just born.
In my eyes (And I'm sorry if I insult some Catholics here) a man who inflicts that on his followers is not a God, but a Devil. If I've insulted you, I'm sorry, that is just my personal belief, and feel free to have a discussion about it with me via PM or here.

Basically to wrap this up, we are all different, with different beliefs. If you are confident and secure enough in your own belief, then there's no reason why you can't listen to others beliefs and accept them for them.
Everyone who doesn't think the same way as you do are NOT evil. They are merely different. If only Mankind could have figured that out a few centurys ago, there would have been less bloodshed.

Not sure if that was relevent or if I'd just climbed up on my "soap box" and had a little rant. Either way these are my views on religion, and they are mine alone. I'm sorry if I've insluted you, but, to tell the truth, I've been insulted many times by Christians and Catholics, and I can still understand and accept them.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 3:21 pm
Neztnerol
Great writer?
I wouldn't say that.
I've read Digital Fortress and I'm more than halfways through The Da Vince Code.... And he really isn't all that good a writer. Good, maybe. But not the 'god' people have made him.
Many things are quite predictable.

I agree with that whole heartedly.  

LimeyFish8

Gorilla and You

Anxious Phantom

8,650 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Gaian 50
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:56 pm
Ponworxz

Ditto.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:17 pm
This is a very debatable and sometimes these kinda topics lead to havok...anyways.

I'm not an atheist, nor am I religious. I do believe in Creation; but I also believe in Evolution. I believe in most of the people stated in the Bible/Karan, however I'm not a true believer of any of the books info...etc.

I do respect and love to study about religion, however. I used to be a full-on Christian until one of my friends harrassed me out of going to Church, etc. when I was in third grade.

._.

---

Zanareil

Neztnerol
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:20 pm
Count Doom Fist
Ponworxz

Ditto.

Why post at all then?
This is supposed to be a subforum for literate discussion. I see no reason for you to post if you aren't going to contribute with anything  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 9:45 am
[ Message temporarily off-line ]  

Used_Bookstore

[Onigiri]

5,300 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 6:32 am
Neztnerol
Great writer?
I wouldn't say that.
Many things are quite predictable. I broke codes before the NSA top cryptographers in Digital Fortress did...

Whenever someone writes about such a controversial matter, they automatically seem to become a 'great' writer.

Some of my friends have been told and I've also heard other people of different religions saying not to go to see the Da Vinci Code, because of how it twists religious beliefs in the story. The Da Vinci Code is a work of fiction and if you treat it as that then that's all it'll ever be. There's no letting it sway your beliefs if you don't let it sway them. If you or anyone thinks you'll be swayed to believe the movie and leave your previous beliefs, then you obviously don't have much faith in what you already believe in.

I kind of lay somewhere between being non-religious and being Catholic (since that was how I was raised). I believe in the Bible itself and what has be written in it. I believe in Jesus being the son of God and he died for our sins and the whole sha-bang. I suppose some of the issues touched on in the Da Vinci Code could be true, but just haven't been proven yet; scientifically and/or theologically. But even though some if it is or could be based on truth, it's still a work of fiction and that's what people need to understand and not take to heart what the movie talks about.

Literate Hell

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff