Death of Pope Jean Paul II Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

The Bookwyrm
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 6:53 am
I realize that this is a Pagan guild, and that there are those among us who harbor harsh feelings towards Christians, but I'm curious to see what you think about the passing of such an important religious figure. I was raised a Catholic until I struck out on my own spiritual path, and my mother and grandparents still are, so they're taking his passing with difficulty.

We're also on the verge of something very important. The election of a new pope in immenant, and with that, the course of the Catholic church will be determined for the next many years. A new liberal pope could be elected, and declare that gay marriages will be allowed within the church, and may allow for priests to marry (which are two of the issues the church is most plagued by at the present time). Or, we may see the rise of an uber conservative pope who may knock us back a ways.

So I'm just curious now to hear your thoughts and opinions.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 8:51 am
I think it is rather moving. John Paul II was the only Pope I have known. The previous Pope died when I was four.

While I'm not Catholic any longer, I recognize that John Paul was an extremely holy and religious man, and I respect the way that he followed his faith and brought it to others. Even though there were things that I disagreed with him on (such as the role of women in the church and marriage for gays and for priests), he still brought the Catholic faith to many and helped update it for modern times.

He was a good man. I will miss him. I wonder what the next Pope will bring to the faith, and where Catholicism will go from here.  

Jishin

Steadfast Explorer

Jameta
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 9:18 am
I never knew much about him until yesterday when they were documenting his life; it is amazing he was able to hide from the Nazi invasion of Poland by staying in a bishop's church. His election to the position was interesting, too, for few individuals knew who he was.

My family is Catholic, and parts of my faith deal with its ideas and figures, so we are at a loss. However, we're not as upset as most people; we really only knew of his suffering, and his passing is seen as a relief. yesterday, a lit a large, light blue candle and placed his picture by it out of respect. While my family disagreed on his views of birth control and like subjects, we do feel he was a holy man trying to bring the brethern of the world together.

I wonder what the funeral will be like, and I wonder how long the Concave will last...  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 11:28 am
I didn't really know of the pop or his deeds or his life. I still don't really know. He's made some errors in judgement, but we all do that. I guess he was generally a good person, though I can only judge by what I hear from people that knew him.

I can't help but wonder who they will find within the next 20 days that will replace him? That's not a very long time at all.

*Sigh* I really thought I would have more comments on it than this, but I pretty much missed the whole thing. I wasn't completely aware of his passing until last night, though once I figured it out, I could have sworn I heard someone say it earlier, but it never really clicked, I guess.

Well, blessings for him and those he helped. May he find peace in the afterlife.  

Atma311
Crew

4,350 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Conversationalist 100

The Wallaby

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 12:38 pm
I only found out this morning in the newspaper. I guess I never really understood his role in catholisism or in the world even, but I respect him all the same. I am sorry that I don't have much emotion to spare for the pope at the moment, due to recent deaths in the family. I hope the new pope is good.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 10:36 pm
the pope was a great man indeed, loved by millions and hated by none. i feel saddend by hi s loss but its always best to celebrate life then to mourn death, if we were to do that the celbration for Pope JPII it would be huge. also to gypsy, i dont harbor any negative feelings towards christanity, nor do i think anyone in the guild here does (if they do, they need to stop and think for a momemt), i do hold negative feelings aginst is thier notorious narrow mindedness  

Akwila

QueenCrystal

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 4:07 am
I wouldnt say he was hated by none...Ahem...I dont hate him though. I've seen that he is a great man, On T.V. Anyways, I've never met him personally, so yeah...I',m not really christian so the pope being dead doesnt really bother me. I just used to be a christian but I feel sorry for the people that are greving right now. I just hope they can get through it...but me....heh...
Well at first I really didnt give a screw about it....

and now....

I still dont. XD. Just RIP pope guy.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 7:14 am
Personally, I would be there with everyone in the Vatican, praying for the pope with my pentagram on. Just to show them that we have hearts.  

PhantomPhoenix0

Keistera

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:47 am
That would make more of an impression than any words could, Phantom. smile

I'm relieved that he has finally passed on. His fight for life was very brave, but he's better off now that he will not be suffering. I'm sure he was a good person, but I could not agree with his stance on homosexuals and women in the church -- or his stance on birth control methods (though he wanted to see AIDS abolished).

I hope he's resting peacefully now. The only thing that irks me is... if it were anyone else, the outpouring of sympathy and the attention just wouldn't be there. Perhaps for the Dalai Lama (sp = bad), but not for any other religious leaders, I'm sure.

My mum is Catholic. I hope a more liberal Pope is elected this time around.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 11:09 pm
PhantomPhoenix0
Personally, I would be there with everyone in the Vatican, praying for the pope with my pentagram on. Just to show them that we have hearts.
3nodding , i said alittle prayer for his passing  

Akwila

The Bookwyrm
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:40 pm
You're very right, Keistera, that the same out pouring of grief wouldn't be there for any other religious leader, but I think perspective needs to be looked at with that one. There aren't many other religions of that size that have such a central figure, let alone one that's so publicly outspoken, with the exception of Buddhism.

I share your hope for a more liberal pope, though. My mother is Catholic, as are my grandparents, and all I've been hearing for the past few days is what a wonderful man he was. I agree, even despite his quirks. He was one of the few people in such a position to place such an emphasis on the importance of the young people in the world. They were important, and could make a difference, and he believed that we were good for the most part, rather than going with the main stream belief that we're all strung out on drugs and thugs. Antoher thing that I've found with the pope was that he was very willing to at least talk with people of different religions without outright denouncing them, which is a great deal more than I can say for other people, Catholic or not!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:14 am
Gypsy Blue
You're very right, Keistera, that the same out pouring of grief wouldn't be there for any other religious leader, but I think perspective needs to be looked at with that one. There aren't many other religions of that size that have such a central figure, let alone one that's so publicly outspoken, with the exception of Buddhism.
I wonder what the reaction of the world woudl be if the Dalai Lama died. Last I heard, he was still exiled and unable to do anything.

Interesting note on how when people die, you learn more about their background than you knew about them living. As I reflect, I remember the same instance happening with a favorite actor of mine and Mother Teresa.

I wonder what the reaction was for the general Pagan community when Gerald Gardner died, or Aloster(sp?) Crowley.

...And beyond the Catholic Church and Buddhists of Tibet, I really know only small details about central governments of other belief systems. I wonder if this is due to them not being as active as their colleagues or follwers.

Sorry, it's early in the morning, and I do not grasp everything at the moment. sweatdrop  

Jameta
Captain

I be me

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 3:13 pm
my main memory of the pope was the he once attended a group prayer for world peace with like a dozzen different religions and my mother was upset because he was surely inviting deamons to meddle with the state of peace on earth.

and for that, and that alone I think that he is a good man  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 6:38 pm
im not trying to bring down the catholic religion, and i generally accept others' religions, but i definately see some major changes coming from the Pope's death. we wont have too long until the pope turns into a group of people and that many different religions, including the catholic religion, will join together, in a way i see it as allies.

those are just my visions.

heart kai  

Sweet Aesthetic

8,350 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150

CiaranKnight

1,950 Points
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 5:32 pm
I think it's really sad that he died, he was such a great man. What really bothers me is the fact that some people just can't see past the fact that he was the pope (I haven't seen anyone here doing that, luckily wink .)

Unfortunately, I do not believe that they will elect that liberal of a pope, like several people here have hoped for. Most of the liberal church leaders are here in the US and the general church does not appreciate their liberal views, as well as this country's liberal views and past actions. I just hope that they don't elect a tyrant. Progress takes time, and hopefully the Vatican and the perhaps the Christian religion as a whole will get there sooner rather then latter.  
Sacred Sources -The Outer Forum -

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff