Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Chainmaille and Wire Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

T-kal Thornside

Dapper Smoker

3,200 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:32 pm
Does anyone here work with this stuff other than me? Its really cool becasue if you use small enough rings for your maille, its almost like silky feeling.

EDIT: Here's a fun site for anyne who wants to get into this.
http://www.mailleartisans.org/weaves/index.cgi  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:09 pm
I toyed with the idea of it, but wire just frustrates me, so I gave up pretty quickly. sweatdrop  

firrantello

T-kal Thornside

Dapper Smoker

3,200 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:25 pm
Wire, and metal in general is my likeing ness... because its more permanent...  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:21 pm
Kaena Wraithson

whee !

I've never tried chainmail, and I'm broke right now. Is it made mainly with splitrings/jumprings?  

[Grendel]

Padmasana

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 7:35 am
My fiancĂ© makes chainmaille armor, jewelry and fetishwear. He taught me some weaves, and I'm working on my first maille armor shirt. smile  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:03 am
Padmasana
My fiancé makes chainmaille armor, jewelry and fetishwear. He taught me some weaves, and I'm working on my first maille armor shirt. smile
sounds like fun. post pictures when you get it done?  

firrantello

Peppermint Elf

Moonlight Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:31 am
Kaena Wraithson
Does anyone here work with this stuff other than me? Its really cool becasue if you use small enough rings for your maille, its almost like silky feeling.

I've seen it done at Renfaires, but it really is an amazing craft to get into. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:37 am
My fiance's sister makes maille armour. She gave me a 'chainmaille starter kit' as a graduation present. I've gotten much more into jewelry making than anything else. Probably because, while most of my friends who I go to the Ren Faire with like to wear armour and weapons and stuff, I'd rather sew-together a corset and a pretty skirt ^^

You can see a lot of my chainmaille jewelry work in my DevArt Gallery. Unfortunatly, I can only afford to work in copper 'craft wire' from my local craft stores. I'm hoping by the end of the summer I can put an order into The Ring Lord for some aluminium and sterling.  

spacekitten

Sparkly Cutie-Pie

15,350 Points
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Protector of Cuteness 150

T-kal Thornside

Dapper Smoker

3,200 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:55 am
[Grendel]
Kaena Wraithson

whee !

I've never tried chainmail, and I'm broke right now. Is it made mainly with splitrings/jumprings?

What are jumprings/splitrings?  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:53 am
firrantello
Padmasana
My fiancé makes chainmaille armor, jewelry and fetishwear. He taught me some weaves, and I'm working on my first maille armor shirt. smile
sounds like fun. post pictures when you get it done?

I'd like to. I'll have to take pics of his work and post it as well...he made me a custom bikini top that I'm quite fond of. smile  

Padmasana

ricochetwild

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:15 pm
I saw some chainmail shirts/scarves/purses/etc at the craft show this past year. Some of it was very impressive - if it weren't for the price, I would've bought one.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 6:33 am
ricochetwild
I saw some chainmail shirts/scarves/purses/etc at the craft show this past year. Some of it was very impressive - if it weren't for the price, I would've bought one.

The labor involved tends to make things very, very expensive, unfortunately. There are techniques for sppedweaving that can shorten the labor time, but there's only so much you can do.....When holding a piece, it always fascinates me that the artisan has touched every single ring at least once. In a micromaille purse, it's interesting. For the floor-length micromaille dress I saw at a Faire last year....it's mind-boggling. eek  

Padmasana

~neko neko kitty~

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:11 am
I would love to get into chainmail. I just don't have the money to get into it right now.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:25 am
I find it kind of funny when people say they don't have the money to get started with it.
Walmart and lowes sells 100ft of Galvanized steel wire for 5.00, and as long as you have some aviator's snips around and a pair of needlenose plier and a vice at your house, all you need is a dowel rod that can costa nywhere from 1.oo to 6.00.
The craft isn't expensive, just time consuming.  

T-kal Thornside

Dapper Smoker

3,200 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Grunny Rainbow 100

~neko neko kitty~

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 8:36 pm
Kaena Wraithson
I find it kind of funny when people say they don't have the money to get started with it.
Walmart and lowes sells 100ft of Galvanized steel wire for 5.00, and as long as you have some aviator's snips around and a pair of needlenose plier and a vice at your house, all you need is a dowel rod that can costa nywhere from 1.oo to 6.00.
The craft isn't expensive, just time consuming.
I barely have enough to feed myself and support my yarn habit right now sweatdrop Plus I'm moving so it's more time that I don't have than anything else. But once things get settled down and I get a job again I'm hoping to pick this craft up.  
Craftin'

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff