Back to Guilds

Tags: neopets, neopia 

Reply Neopia Central
Neopets finally gone too far with sponsors? Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Has Neopets finally gone too far with sponsors and trying to make money?
  Yep.
  Nope.
View Results

Certified Dyke

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:29 pm
First we were promised no ads would ever appear on the site.
Then we were promised there would only be small ads on the site.
Then we were promised only two ads would appear on the site.
Now there are currently three ads on each page, plus ones that sometimes pop up in the middle of the screen - making RSing quite difficult sometimes.
Sponsor games and sponsor items are everywhere.
Four out of the sixteen shops on the main map in Neopia Central are sponsorship ones. There are also three in the bazaar.
You can pay $7.99 a month now to access more special features to improve your gameplay.
And now, Lutari Island, an entire new land - only accesible if you get Neopets Mobile on your cellphone?
Seriously. I'd just like to know what the ******** has happened to Neopets.
I signed up six years ago and the site had been reduced to a pile of mindless consumerism and capitalist crap.
I realize Neopets is a gigantic site and costs a lot to upkeep - but what the hell has happened?

Discuss:
- Has Neopets finally gone too far with sponsors?
- Anything else relevant to this topic.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:27 pm
I pay for neopets, just because I hate all the adds. I barly get on any of my spare accounts just because, I hate the adds.  

KeliJo

magic_by_heart

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:05 am
Little Miss Feminazi
First we were promised no ads would ever appear on the site.
Then we were promised there would only be small ads on the site.
Then we were promised only two ads would appear on the site.

They never promised any of that. All they ever promised is that they wouldn't have pop ups. I don't think they have gone too far. Wtih how big they're site is getting they have to have all this junk. Just face it, if they didn't have stupid stuff like that neopets woudln't exsist on this day. And this also has NOTHING to do with sponsors. Those aren't sponsors. A sponsor is someone who helps you out with your website, while getting linked to as well. All the links around the site are just simple ads places by people (like whats in the newspaper and stuff) TNT put there to help them with a little extra money. All the people who place the ad there themselfs just wanna make millions of dollars with all the people who click on their ad.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:57 am
I tottaly agree with you.
And Magic_By_Heart- Stop lieing. You don't know the first thing about
Neopets. What more you've only been on for 15 months. They DID
promise that, and just because you weren't here when they did, doesn't
mean they didn't. stare  

ilovemycat5

freakish515

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:57 am
i agree but i guess its their only option. i mean, either ads or neopets premium is the only way to access neopets. the ads to get really annoying but i guess as long as they arent popups, im fine. =)  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:59 am
Uh, we should have expected it. I mean, think of all the promises Tnt has
broke before? They've always been big jerks. I perfer the old Neopets
also.  

ilovemycat5

Velma Touched My Tralala

IRL Dog

6,250 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Doggone It! 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:31 am
Neopets has gone downhill. Inflation, just like gaia, has made everything extremly dificult to get. Plus now you can get frozen for something as simple as saying the word "Jesus".

And I AM angry about the adds. I remember when they promised not to have any actual ads on the site, but low and behold, promise broken. The only adds that really tick me off tho are the ones that pop up right in the middle of the screen. I didn't care all too much about the fact that there were small ads on the bottom of the page - but something that hinders my game play TICKS ME OFF!

Lutari Island is a good idea, though. It reminds me of when mystery island came out, and you could only get there by getting totems, which you had to do those special offer thingies for. Perosnally, I don't have a cellphone, so if it stays the way it is I'll never get to Lutari island - but I just made a lutari yesterday, so I really don't care. xd

But yes, Neopets has become greedy and it makes me sad.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:58 pm
I do miss the good old days when I didn't need to close my internet window just to play games without TWO!!! flashing banners on the page.

I don't think inflation has made it harder to get items, as you also get more NP from games now, and you're able to mark items up higher if you restock.

A lot of people say that neopets needs the money to keep the site running, but at the same time aren't they making millions from their merchandise and have a mainstream movie on the way. You can't make a movie without giant profits.

Basically, I don't really know. I don't know what it takes to run a website, who they've sold the rights of their complany to, or how much profit they make. I am grateful that NeoPets exists, because it has gotten me through many a boring day, and really, a sellout site is better than no site at all.  

Coconono

Certified Dyke

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:09 pm
Yep. I guess after being with Neo from the start I expect things to a lot different.
Everybody says they need money to run the site - but they seem to have more than enough.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 6:47 pm
Neo has gone too far.
Sometimes the damn ads pop up whenever. Neo promised NO pop-ups. Just.Plain.Lies.  

Sake Sakura

Fairchilde

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:47 pm
I'm afraid for Gaia. I'll have been on Neopets for 5 years, I believe (July 12th) and I've seen inflation because neopoints were coming in fast. And now you have crappy things like starter paint brushes and starter petpets.

Now on Gaia, we have starter sets where a newbie can get clothes for 2g. Fully. Clothed. Didn't we have peasant clothing for that? Like it was a little roleplay and we had to work our way up the ladder? My first few months here, I was running around in underwear and a bra! And now we can shake down trees for gold in towns. rolleyes Not to mention fishing rods, the basic, now costs only 5g.

What ever happened to busting your butt because you had too much free time?

I think Gaia has a level head. But... I'm starting to wonder. Neopets had one once, too.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:25 am
yeah agree.i hate playing neopets and then having to click off all these pop-ups.  

pinkilili_92

KeliJo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:48 pm
like I said before. I pay for neopets every year. I pay just around 70 American dollars a year. I get no adds. NONE. If they really bother you. just pay for the site. I think you can pay monthly. just 8 American dollars. its not alot. I think I can fish that much out of the washing machine, and the couch.

And you got to think. They pay out ALOT. new toys, a movie. All those things cost them money, before they even hit the shelves. They have to pay there workers, and I think Adam has a pretty big pay check. As well as Sparkie, and the others.

I bet they never thought they would get this big, when they where getting started. Now they see ways to make money, and they do it. You cant tell me you would not want to make money. Why have a Popular site, and not wont to make money at it?

Think about it.

Pay checks
Movie
Cards
Toys
Web space/hosting
PS games
computer games
Graphics

Everything cost lost of money.

Unless the owner is some rich man/women, Neopets would have shut down along time ago, just because they could not pay there workers. Or they would have never become as aw-some as they are today. If neopets was Ad free, and sponsor free, we would not have new pets, new items, new worlds, and who knows what else. Neopets could not have made it on donations alone.

Yes, Gaia does really well on donations for this site, but we still get one or two pop up, and I don't think Gaia has been around as long as Neopets has. Give it time, and Gaia will be like Neo. Just give it time.

Sorry for the rant, I just wonted to voice my opinion. I'm not yelling, or mad at anyone. Just thought you should hear what I thought.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 6:52 am
if you think about it, they've always had ads, even before they added the banners. The sponsors games are in my opinion ads and they've been around since before I started playing neopets 4 years ago  

Teri Noodle

database113

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:27 am
personally i play woth adds and i just ignore them. If the flashing adds distract you ploaying games just play full screen games. if the games dont go full screen the hit F11 twice to maximize them regular your game screen the go to the corner and stretch it. If you ytry there are many ways to make it so you dont see the adds. I play about 5 hours a day and they dont bother me as i have found a way that i dont see them 75% of the time. If you use your head then u dont have to pay and thjey are out of your way. Sites take a lot to mannage and they sold thier rights to MTV witch i dont understand buyt if you like neo then LIVE WITH IT! sorry for the speal but this thread made me angry  
Neopia Central

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff