Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Ya'll Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

The Rays

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:58 am
Alrighty, I'm in Texas and just so happen to use ya'll in actual speach. I don't use it when typing, though. I know it sounds drawn out and uncivilized, but it's just like any other word belonging to a dialect. It isn't necessarily wrong, but according to non-regional English. . .I guess it is. Thoughts?  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:10 pm
It's your choice to use or not use a part of speech. Dialects, I believe are a very important part of speech. I myself hail from Pennsylvania, and I use "Yins" often in my daily speech. Friend to friend, parent to child it seems normal. I would however refrain from using it to talk with important people like your boss.

Yes I would say go ahead and use it when talking to friends or family. It's fun to use, and if there is no down side (As in some one can't understand you), it just adds color to your speech.  

DartStriker

ilovemaryjayne

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:11 am
I think using "y'all" in fine, as long as the person you are talking to knows what "y'all" mean. Then life is good, for you and me.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 4:30 pm
The Rays
Alrighty, I'm in Texas and just so happen to use ya'll in actual speach. I don't use it when typing, though. I know it sounds drawn out and uncivilized, but it's just like any other word belonging to a dialect. It isn't necessarily wrong, but according to non-regional English. . .I guess it is. Thoughts?
That's a lot like me. I don't type it out, but i use it in everyday language.  

Imiko-chan

Jewlz2007

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 5:36 pm
I'm from Texas as well. I think I use it, but don't realize it because I am so used to it. Of course, what bothers me, is when people spell "y'all" - a contraction of "you all"- like this "ya'll".  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 5:48 pm
I am from up north...I don't say "y'all," nor do I know how to spell it, but I say "you guys" quite a bit. It's just a matter of dialect and preference...I notice it when others use these terms, and it makes me laugh.  

Twilight Enchanter

Litia_Echo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 8:15 pm
I say y'all all the time. And its funny my mom says Wrash instead of wash. It is just the wash she pronounces it because she comes from the East Coast.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:45 pm
"Y'all" is grammatically correct, but it's regional and informal. In the same way that you shouldn't use slang in a formal situation, like a job interview, you shouldn't use "Y'all" that way, either.  

Miakou

dark_elf

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:03 pm
myriad of broken dreams
I am from up north...I don't say "y'all," nor do I know how to spell it, but I say "you guys" quite a bit. It's just a matter of dialect and preference...I notice it when others use these terms, and it makes me laugh.
I'm in the north too and I occationly say "y'all" and lots of times say "you guys".  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:58 pm
I think "y'all" is a fine word to use in music, poetry, stories and informal conversations. I would refrain from using it in a composition or job interview, as I wouldn't want the interviewer to think, "Hillbilly hick" and deny me a job.  

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250

Aramethea

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:45 pm
Well, I was born and raised in Upstate NY, and I say ya'll. I think I actually picked it up when I was living in South Florida back in '91. I don't thinks it's necessarily a regional term, unless all of the southern part of America is a region..oh wait, I guess it is. I say it without thinking and everyone laughs at me. But I have been known to laugh at New Yorkers who say "youse guys" so it's all fair.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:03 pm
dark_elf
myriad of broken dreams
I'm in the north too and I occationly say "y'all" and lots of times say "you guys".

And I'm in the north as well, and although I don't say "y'all", I say "you guys" all the time. That's sort of weird. Is it a northern thing to say "you guys"?  

BlindingTwilight

]Impetigo[

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:09 pm
Y'all just sounds nicer and friendlier than you all, or you guys. I'm not from Texas, and I use it quite often. It's just a dialect, and it adds color to your speech. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:03 pm
BlindingTwilight
dark_elf
myriad of broken dreams

And I'm in the north as well, and although I don't say "y'all", I say "you guys" all the time. That's sort of weird. Is it a northern thing to say "you guys"?
i think so.  

Sachiko13

dark_elf

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:35 pm
Sachiko13
BlindingTwilight
dark_elf
myriad of broken dreams

i think so.
Well, we "guys" just have to ask some southren person if they say "you guys", if they don't then its a nornther thing.  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff