Reply Sacred Sources -The Outer Forum -
New Pope Good or Bad? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Rakei

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:16 am
So I just got the news on this new Pope, a very concervative 78 year old German.
Will this have an effect on you as a person, do you think?
This Pope supposedly is against abortion, homosexuality, female priests - etc.
This Pope will most probably be able to set a direct course of concervatism within the Catholic church for 10-15 years.

Do you think this will be a backstep form what has happened with in the Catholic church? or will this Pope be better?
Do you think It was deliberate that they chose a European cardinal?
Did you hope for a liberal Pope?

Just tell me your thoughts on this.

EDIT: More info! Yay! xd
Benedict XVI;
He was born in Bavaria, Germany on April 16, 1927.
Was under the second world war part of Hitler-Jugend (The teenage army Hitler created under the war to protect Berlin from the out side forces)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:27 am
Quite honestly, I am glad the new pope is against those things. Since that's what their religion is about (or how it is most widely interpreted), I think it's good they aren't changing the rules around. HOWEVER I don't think that the new pope's choices should effect anyone but those in the religion. It should not effect the law. As for the people who are currently members of the catholic church that believe that the rules of the religion are unfair to them, they should leave. Find a religion and a group of people who will accept you for who you are, rather than just sit around and b***h about it. (pardon my language, please)  

The Wallaby

Jameta
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 4:33 pm
Bleh, I was hoping for the guy from Argentina.

Anyways, spewing off a little on my own thoughts and on a little bit from what others have said, I'm not pleased with the guy, but since he's old and therefore a "transitional" Pope, I'm not going to complain about it with much heart. S'not like I'll ever meet him and give him a piece of my mind, anyways.

[More commentary to come sweatdrop ]  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 4:48 pm
Tru for all hes against he will surely (hopefully) represent the catholic church the way its meant to be. But i kinda think hes alittle old to be leading the church....for some reason i can just see him dying within the next few years....I personally think its a major backstep, a pope that is more openminded and perhaps younger could be a nice change not saying the last one wasnt good. Hes a real remodel infact for just about most people, those not even in the catholic faith. ANYWAYS...law and religion should be seperate...etc agrees with the other people...might change this later  

WitchChild212

Hettia

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:23 pm
I wasn't expecting any less, The religion is interpreted as conservative and I wouldn't expect them to choose anything less than who they felt would keep to old traditions.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 8:50 pm
Jameta
Bleh, I was hoping for the guy from Argentina

*looks thoughtful* There is some discussion that the Latin/African churches are quite active, but not necessarily quite accurate to the overall message of Catholicism.

I don't know if it's true or not, but if it is, I doubt there will be a Latin/African pope until that's squared away.

Actually, I think Ratzinberger may be a good choice. He will not be in office more than twentyish years at the very outside. He will help solidify John Paul II's legacy, and at the same time, set up a separation so that the next dynamic pope will not perpetually be compared to John Paul II.

@Hettia: The Catholic Church is conservative. That is part of its very nature. To be otherwise would be against what makes up its very constitution. The folks who are involved with the church on that level are extremely concerned that they are interpreting the Word of God properly. To claim that their predecessors were wrong is to claim that said folks have misunderstood the Word of God. Since the Church has a long, known tradition, with documentation going back centuries, claiming that someone (anyone!) was wrong, after all the foundation that the Church is built on, is very serious. It's a big ... no, it's a HUGE deal. It's not something done lightly.

Once the Catholic Church changes its mind, it's unlikely that it will change it again. So the process must be exceptionally thorough and, yes, to many folks' minds, slow and conservative.

It is not a fluid religion, moved by the whims of society. It is a deep, solid, thorough religion. It will probably always be so. It isn't for everyone. Hell, it's not right for me. But there are people that it is right for.  

Jishin

Steadfast Explorer

Jameta
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 6:27 am
[continuing my commentary]

I think the vote was deliberate- deliberatly hasty. Normally, the conclave would be closed 3 to 4 days to choose a new Pope, but this took two days, meaning not as much thought was put into it. Along with him being older and going to last roughly ten years, he was also a top advisor to John Paul, so this may have been a popularity contest.

Speaking on points brought up, although the Roman Catholic Church is a solid foundation, that doesn't mean it has not and will not change. Obviously, if they were still the same from the Middle Ages, the capital would be back in France and the Holy Wars would still be going on. Just because the Church has been strict does not mean it cannot become more liberal. In fact, many Catholics feel alienated by Benedict's election, as there appeared to be change in the air.

I really do not understand the comments about Latin American and African Catholic churches not having the same message. They're not supposed to be exact clones of the Vatican; no where is. The priests in the those areas have to reach their people differently than priests of Europe; however, Latin America and Africa have some of the strongest Catholic populations and believers. On a side note, Argentina is also considered more European than all other Latin American states, so it would not be too much of a problem.

To recount for others and myself, I do not care for Benedict XVI, but I'm not overly concerned; he was not the first choice for many, and part of the Catholic population will feel alienated due to his conservative level. I would have found the candidate from Argentina better, as the relationship would tie the continents together, and would have marked further gradual, comfortable change in the Church.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:37 am
from what I heard he wasn't really all that conservative untill he was given his possition he had before pope I can't remember what thay said the name of it was but thay said it was like he was the watchdog of the religion and it was his job to make sure that people followed the rules. from what I heard thay say that he was actualy pretty leanient untill he had that " watchdog" possition. and one of the reasons he took the name he did was to show that he is softer then what most people think.  

wicked_hat

Jishin

Steadfast Explorer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:57 am
Jameta
I really do not understand the comments about Latin American and African Catholic churches not having the same message

The Latin American and African Churches tend to be more experiential, more community-based, more completely-involved-in-all-of-life, than the North American and European Church. You know the stereotypical "deep South" Christian congregation-type-things? I've been led to believe that the Latin American and African Catholic Churches follow that pattern, while the European and North American Churches do not.

According to other sources I've looked at, they also tend to combine folk religion and ritual with their Catholicism. Yes, the European church did that too -- but a LONG time ago, back when the church was starting. It's not commonplace nowadays in the European church, because there's nothing left to assimilate. wink So this causes a potentially large dichotomy between what the main religion teaches, and what the individual priests and parishes teach.

Please understand that this is only what I've heard. I have no proof. I'm only presenting it as a "this is what I have heard" argument. I'm certainly not arguing that I agree that this is the way it is, since I am not attached to the Church enough to really know. It seems to be the way some people perceive and present it.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 5:09 pm
I'm not very impressed with this guy. I was looking forward to a Liberal Pope -- wouldn't it be nice? I know quite a few Catholics that were also looking forward to someone more Liberal.

Telling people to leave their religion if they don't like the way it's going is a little... I don't know, it just doesn't seem to work. If they didn't want to follow that religion, they would have left. There's more to what I have to say, but I'm having trouble thinking/concentrating. Maybe someone else can pick up where I'm leaving off.

Eeek.  

Keistera

Jameta
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:18 pm
Jishin
Please understand that this is only what I've heard. I have no proof. I'm only presenting it as a "this is what I have heard" argument. I'm certainly not arguing that I agree that this is the way it is, since I am not attached to the Church enough to really know. It seems to be the way some people perceive and present it.
Quite alright; most of my information comes from what I can remember and what dear CNN has brought me lately. sweatdrop I have a somewhat stronger connection to Roman Catholics (at least on the west coast of the United States) because the rest of my family is rooted in their faith... just not necessarily the strict dogma that tends to come with it.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:47 pm
Jameta
I have a somewhat stronger connection to Roman Catholics (at least on the west coast of the United States) because the rest of my family is rooted in their faith... just not necessarily the strict dogma that tends to come with it.

My family is Roman Catholic, primarily on my mom's side. My dad is RC too, but his family isn't very religious. (There's an ongoing joke about finding the manger at my great-aunt's Christmas party ... they never have one.) I quit a while ago, and try not to pay much attention anymore. Much easier on the mental stress that way. 3nodding  

Jishin

Steadfast Explorer

Akwila

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:41 am
well if hes against all those i am NOT happy.....well i wouldnt be happy if he acted on anything, being gay or bi or a woman is a beautiful thing and should not be governed by some guy  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 6:18 am
In any case, the next pope after him should be interesting. I've recently learned about a series of prophcies made in the middle ages concerning the popes. The one making the prophecies (I can't remember the name, I'll get it for you) had listed all the popes by their qualities. John-Paul was the long pope (his long papal term), the next one will be the "short pope", probably for a short term, and then will come the "black pope", who will cause the fall of Catholocism. I admit that I was skeptical at first, but so far things it has proven true. What do you all think?  

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

mangaelfgirl

450 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 9:56 am
i think this whole pope business is a bunch of heirarchical crap. why shud anybody have to listen to the views and opinions of one man and have their life affected by it? everyone's entitled to their opinion but no-one shud be allowed 'godlike' authority over anyone domokun  
Sacred Sources -The Outer Forum -

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff