Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
I'm finally learning to knit! Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Lychee Fruit

Dangerous Stalker

15,900 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 3:20 am
...and it's scary! crying

I love it, but it's so frustrating I can only work for about twenty minutes at a time. ^^; It's true what they say - written instructions, even diagrams, are so hard to follow. But I've always wanted to learn, so I'm excited! -^_^-  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:25 am
well,
your smarter than I am,
I NEVER could get any of that stuff
nomatter how much I try  

I be me
Vice Captain

NaiKhanomDtom

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 6:40 am
I wanna learn to knit. You got a problem with that!? HUH!? That's what I thought...  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 6:54 am
Heh .. I learned to knit for like ten minutes when I was ten .. with the cute little plastic needles and whatnot. But then I forgot.

My roommate knits. She knits abominably cute baby hats for her nieces. She taught me how to make a ponpon (with the cardboard rings).  

Ula_Wynne

Talena6669

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 7:26 am
It's more fun once you're used to the stitches. Just don't make the same mistake as me and try to learn with fuzzy yarn...but I was successful!  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 11:12 am
Its not that bad. When you think about it, knitting and purling are really the same stitch, so all that stuff can be made by doing one thing over and over again.
Oh, for step-by-step explanations and videos of how to do certain things, check out HipKnitism.

PureHeavenlyEvil

PashminaBallerina

Tipsy Prophet

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:08 pm
i'd like to learn how to knit! i think it would be a lot of fun to be able to make stuff for everyone. but sadly all i can knit is hats. which doesn't really count because it's on a loom. but would that be more of weaving? i think so. xp  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:32 pm
congratulations and welcome to the fold... it will become an addiction... don't worry as you get more practice you'll be able to go for longer stretches of time.  

carnivore

PashminaBallerina

Tipsy Prophet

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:35 pm
pretty much hafl the people can knit and half the people can't. i've been trying to learn since fourth grade but whatever i am too stupid for this craft. xp  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:15 pm
LillyofDeath
pretty much hafl the people can knit and half the people can't. i've been trying to learn since fourth grade but whatever i am too stupid for this craft. xp

Don't say that, knitting is really easy once you get the hang of it as everything is made of 2 diferent stitches.

I agree thath trying to learn from diagrams can be really hard, is better if someone teaches you and knitting videos are really helpful. This site is has really great videos from basic stuff to advanced:

http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/basic_techniques/

And has videos for continental as well as english knitting (for beggineers I recomend continental is far much easier)

Have fun knitting, it's highly addictive  

Chibi Navi

Lychee Fruit

Dangerous Stalker

15,900 Points
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 12:39 am
Thanks for the websites! So far my stuff is still incredibly juvenile. I make sooo many mistakes when I'm casting on. And then somehow I end up with more stitches...? It's gonna be a long road, but I'm determined to join the ranks of knitters! blaugh  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 7:31 pm
ScribblerChrislea
Thanks for the websites! So far my stuff is still incredibly juvenile. I make sooo many mistakes when I'm casting on. And then somehow I end up with more stitches...? It's gonna be a long road, but I'm determined to join the ranks of knitters! blaugh

I end up with extra stitches sometimes, too, and I've been knitting for almost a year. Crazy eyelash yarns. xp

Just keep at it, and it should get easier.

And Knitty is a great resource, or good to look at when you want motivation to stick with it. They've got some really neat patterns. (:  

DecemberFlower

2,000 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200

midara the happy banshee

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 7:37 pm
ScribblerChrislea
...and it's scary! crying

I love it, but it's so frustrating I can only work for about twenty minutes at a time. ^^; It's true what they say - written instructions, even diagrams, are so hard to follow. But I've always wanted to learn, so I'm excited! -^_^-

I;m going through the same thing right now. My knitting looks horrible, but I'm doing the best I can with those damn internet instructions. I keep missing stitches and having big holes in the project. xp But I'm getting there!  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 8:28 pm
The videos in particular have really helped! I think I may actually feel brave enough to tackle the purl stitch now. ^^;  

Lychee Fruit

Dangerous Stalker

15,900 Points
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100

Sage of Faith

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 9:50 pm
I'm jealous, haha. being the craft guru that I am I haven't learnd how to knit crying  
Craftin'

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff