Welcome to Gaia! ::

The 'Read only manga' guild: Open to all who love manga!

Back to Guilds

The Best manga guild...ever. 

Tags: Manga 

Reply The 'Read only manga' guild.
Viz or Tokyopop? Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Which is better?
  Viz
  Tokyopop
  Others
View Results

Kira Yuki

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 1:41 am
Just Curious as to which people like better as a publishing company.... I personally prefer Viz. I want to know other peoples opinions. ^^  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:34 pm
Viz is WAY BETTER than Tokyopop! Tokyopop has been going downhill somewhat for me...They just seem to keep releasing all of these really lame manga lately...Viz has really good titles and are always frequently updating their lists.

Most of my manga now comes from Viz because they provide really good manga. So that's my vote!  

[UYOKUwings]

.m.i.s.s.y

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:05 pm
i don't really care about who published it, i just care about the manga...though tokyopop produces more of what i read  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:29 pm
Tokyopop.
In the Viz manga they don't really do a good job of placing the English text in the word bubbles.
Like for instance: in an action bubble they chopped off a little bit of the actual bubble even though the text wasn't near it.
Tpop used to it pretty badly too, until recently they started working on them a little harder. (THAT is why they take so long to be released these days...and the fact that they seem to be up to date on most of their series.)
Another reason I don't like Viz is because they release their manga so fast, it's sometimes hard to keep up with a specific series. (Unless you got it when it first came out and kept track of it.)
Plus, I like most of the titles Tpop has licensed. The ones by Viz usually aren't really my favorites.

On a side note: I'd have to say my favorite English publisher(Besides the two mentioned.) is DelRey. They do an excellent job translating their manga and they have color pages in most of theirs.
Edit: Not to mention the translation notes and they keep the Japanese sound effects intact with the translation in small text next to them.

Darks sister
Captain

O.G. Demigod

13,325 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Supreme Supporter 500
  • Ultimate Player 200

Kuronkoe

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:03 pm
Darks_sister

On a side note: I'd have to say my favorite English publisher(Besides the two mentioned.) is DelRey. They do an excellent job translating their manga and they have color pages in most of theirs.

I agree with you there. I don’t really care much for the publishers, but i would prefer all others to follow in DelRey's lead. They provide useful notes in the end and beginning of their books and the translations are quite accurate. Plus they pick the good manga to publish.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 2:09 pm
i liek viz because thier titles are better. SRRY TOKYOPOP  

xsakakix

Leahwinters

3,500 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:16 pm
tokyopop. Viz translates the manga effects into english, which really takes away from the art itself. And, Viz also dosent have a lot of manga i like, besides Baby+me and Happy Hustle High. I LOVE SHOJO WITH ALL MY HEART! heart  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:02 pm
it's a mixed bag, viz does have better titles though... but they put some series above others (i.e. FMA, Death Note, Naruto, Bleach.) 1/2 months inbetween.

and others that are underrated are left by the wayside to be translated 5 months inbetween. (i.e. Absolute Boyfriend, Hunter X Hunter etc.)

But Tokyopop has been publishing alot more manwah than manga lately. And sometimes I prefer the manwah over the manga. (i.e. phd: pahntasy degree etc.)

I can't choose between 2 lovers.

Borderline_Case

The Deadliest Grace

4,650 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:09 am
I'm a Tokyopop loyal, but I do have plenty of viz, and has anyone heard of June Manga? I'm loyal to them too.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:07 pm
They both are pretty good. I have to say that they both have things I don't like. Tokyopop has a nasty habit of taking on too many titles and taking 6-9 months to release the next book. Nevermind the fact that the editors suck. I can't tell you the number of times the wrong text was in the wrong bubble (they switched them). It gets very confusing and distracts from the flow. But there is the sound effects. I can read them w/o translations and prefer that they were left as is instead of being translated in an awful font like Viz likes to do...  

Xellina-chan

Familiar Flatterer

5,700 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Wall Street 200
  • Entrepreneur 150

Tsuki_no_Otome

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:13 pm
Personally, I don't care who my mangas are published by....I just read the stories....most of the stuff that I read comes from Tokyopop though.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:17 pm
Hmm. I'm liking Tokyopop for publishing material from a wider range of countries. I love manga, but I don't believe that Japan makes the only good comics in the world. But I seem to have more stuff from Viz, so I don't know. I don't nitpick over publishing companies. o_O  

Vexworth

xXteh tadXx

Genius

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:02 pm
i dont really care who publishes them, but i noticed that most of my collection is from darkhorse, and viz  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 8:25 pm
My favorite would be neither...I'm a particularly large fan of DMP (Digital Manga Publishing, I don't think anyone has mentioned it yet...either that or I'm blind). I haven't yet been disappointed with a manga from them.

Although, if I had to choose between Viz and Tokyopop I'd have to choose Viz. Even though their website is horrendous. x3

chimonster3
Crew

950 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Person of Interest 200

The Atheistic Messiah

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:49 pm
Tokiopop makes a mockery of all manga. they call spongebob manga. its all about franchising. Most kids in america are under the impression manga is another word for spongebob.  
The 'Read only manga' guild.

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff