Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
"... If you know what I mean" Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Emmanuela

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:00 am
A girl that I work with, she puts 'if you know what I mean" at the end of every sentence, and I'm not exaggerating here. Why do people say this? It annoys me greatly. I, unfortunately, have gotten into the habbit of saying 'like' to often, but I am trying to stop.

So, my question, why do people use these extra words? I thought that text talk and the like are about making words shorter but now they're adding in extra words. *sigh* It's times like these when I want to go and live in a Tuscan nunnery...  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:21 am
One other case is where people add "dawg" after every sentence. It's just annoying, but there's nothing we can do about it.  

Zealot of Insanity

Dollface Lovely

8,500 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:32 pm
    I say 'like' quite often when I'm not paying attention to my word choice, which I've been trying to 'fix' as well as the whole 'me'/'I' thing (Joe and I vs. Me and Joe etc.) though I'd like to think I don't talk like a valley girl. If you're honestly not exaggertating, perhaps she can try reading a book?
    Filler words are quite common now-a-days, it's just that some people use them too much, and sometimes it just annoys me to no end.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 1:37 pm
hmm I tend to say like too much also.
Is that even proper grammer, I never could figure it out... saying "too" and then "also". Or should I just leave out the "also"?  

Litia_Echo

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:56 am
I don't think there's a correct/incorrect choice between "also" and "too". As for the filler words, I guess people insert them to sound important, or maybe because they feel like they have to cap off their sentences with something more. I used to say "know what I mean" as a kid, but have since left that habit behind.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:35 pm
I say the word 'twomp' too much, but I'm trying to stop. Sadly, I don't even know what it means... I'm such an idiot.  

Archdemonessa

wonkyspoon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:08 am
Filler words . . . well, I'd be a hypocrite if I said that I didn't say "like" or "you know" more than I should. The thing is, people are talking faster than they used to. If I talk to my grandparents, they talk slowly and deliberately. Compared to them, our sentences are high-speed trainwrecks. But that's just the way things are, I suppose.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:27 pm
It's kinda like when people keep saying "yo" all the time.  

lola_siannodel

Sachiko13

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:28 pm
someone in my history class once complained about the girls saying "like" after every word when they were sharing current events. they tried to stop, but they couldn't. one of the radio stations in my area has this contest in which you have to talk for 60 seconds without saying "like," "um," or any other filler words. most people can't.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:42 pm
Elizabeth Hawkeye
I say the word 'twomp' too much, but I'm trying to stop. Sadly, I don't even know what it means... I'm such an idiot.
To me a 'twomp' is one of the critter in Mario. I don't like Valley Girl or ganster or hip hop talk. stare

I like your username. 3nodding  

dark_elf

SeleigheFey

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:04 pm
People hate being quiet. They feel that if they don't fill the silences with something, the other person will either finish their sentence or--gasp--come up with a thought of their own. "Um" is acceptable within reason, to designate thought, but "like," "you know," and others are habits that must be broken.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 2:57 pm
I also say clueless frickin' idiot, to people who annoy me. And to my boyfriend.  

Archdemonessa

snazy-a-tastic

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:59 am
"Y'know" is one that has always stood out to me. Of course, there's the stereotypical one for Canadians like myself, "Eh." I can't offer any more insight about why people say these things than what has already been said, though.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:21 am
There's nothing wrong with saying, "...you know what I mean" jokingly every once in a while (this sketch comes to mind http://www.jumpstation.ca/recroom/comedy/python/nudge.html) mrgreen

I absolutely cannot stand people who constantly say "like"... I want to beat them with a hammer O.o ninja  

agny-pantsu

Poet`s Playground

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:32 pm
It seems like people just feel like they haven't finished their sentence or something... or they're reasserting who they're talking to. Sometimes if I'm telling someone about something and I'll make a statement and then no one says anything I'll add a "y'know?" or something like that, sort of hanging off the end of the sentence...

Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff