Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
will anyone help with these freezing infants? please?!?!?!? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

will you help?
  yes
  no
  let me think about it......
View Results

HK123

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:59 am
there are babys freezing at winter time! make hats, scarves, gloves, sweaters, booties, etc. for them infants- todlers. im not sure where to send them yet but i will know very soon. these babys need our help! if people dont start now we will not have enough clothes when they sre freezing. you must remember that infants get really cold in the middle of summer.imagine them in the middle of winter with no clothes. these babys are being killed every day! help them! they will appreciate it.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:07 am
please help people!  

HK123

HK123

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:08 am
will NOONE help? evil scream evil GRRRRRRRRRRRR.....  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:17 am
Where abouts are you thinking of sending them?  

randommarble

Peppermint Elf

Moonlight Warrior

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:41 pm
You've included no information at all on what organization this is, where to send hats, the materials/patterns needed for the hats, nor when the hats need to be made by.

No one's going to be interested unless you put more information up. sad

I'd also like to add that this is a slow moving guild. You shouldn't expect an answer 10 minutes after posting. And you've made 2 threads on the same subject already.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:03 pm
like i said, you could knit them sew them, any thing but materials dontmatter.... sizes just make somthing that would fit a baby....if you have a loom the smalest size is good.... for knitting with needles... im using size 7 circular needles..... they are todlers through infants so just some thing small...... if you have a baby at home make somthing thier size and as for where i will know where in about a week.... sorry my friend that knows where i cant get ahold of so i will be able to know soon.... sweatdrop  

HK123

Peppermint Elf

Moonlight Warrior

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:05 pm
HK123
like i said, you could knit them sew them, any thing but materials dontmatter.... sizes just make somthing that would fit a baby....if you have a loom the smalest size is good.... for knitting with needles... im using size 7 circular needles..... they are todlers through infants so just some thing small...... if you have a baby at home make somthing thier size and as for where i will know where in about a week.... sorry my friend that knows where i cant get ahold of so i will be able to know soon.... sweatdrop
So why pimp this subject so hard if you don't even have the details yet? Wouldn't it be better to wait until you have all the information? That way you can make a great post that attracts attention and inspires people to want to help. Not just "Hey. Make a hat. I'll tell you where to send it in a week." xp

Also, it's not a good idea to just "make a hat" out of just anything. Babies are exceptionally sensitive to A LOT of products. You don't want to make something out of wool and the kid it goes to suddenly gets huge rashes all over it because of your hat. You also don't want to make hats out of stuff with a lot of embellishments on it so they don't choke.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:43 pm
i didnt mean you culd just pick up an old peice of fabric and make somthing. i meant you didnt need to have 1 spesific cloth or yarn. aomthing soft or baby yarn.  

HK123

Catcheen
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:13 pm
HK123
there are babys freezing at winter time! make hats, scarves, gloves, sweaters, booties, etc. for them infants- todlers. im not sure where to send them yet but i will know very soon. these babys need our help! if people dont start now we will not have enough clothes when they sre freezing. you must remember that infants get really cold in the middle of summer.imagine them in the middle of winter with no clothes. these babys are being killed every day! help them! they will appreciate it.

I'm wondering if you're thinking of the Dulaan Project or something similar? http://www.fireprojects.org/dulaan.htm They need hats, sweaters, socks, mittens, etc. for all ages, but mainly for toddlers and children for the horridly cold winters in Mongolia.

If you feel that passionate about it, you might have a better response by organizing a knitting group at a local yarn store to knit these projects and everyone can send theirs in bulk. Lots of people like to do charity knitting, but as suggested above, it's best to have the information ready to share.

(Public service announcement: I feel so sorry for all the babies all bundled up in summer-time because people think they're cold. Babies feel the same temperatures adults do and don't need the extra padding. I don't know how the myth started that said babies are cold even in summer-time. *shakes head*)  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 12:31 pm
Catcheen
HK123

I'm wondering if you're thinking of the Dulaan Project or something similar? http://www.fireprojects.org/dulaan.htm They need hats, sweaters, socks, mittens, etc. for all ages, but mainly for toddlers and children for the horridly cold winters in Mongolia.

If you feel that passionate about it, you might have a better response by organizing a knitting group at a local yarn store to knit these projects and everyone can send theirs in bulk. Lots of people like to do charity knitting, but as suggested above, it's best to have the information ready to share.

(Public service announcement: I feel so sorry for all the babies all bundled up in summer-time because people think they're cold. Babies feel the same temperatures adults do and don't need the extra padding. I don't know how the myth started that said babies are cold even in summer-time. *shakes head*)

they do, if they dont have clothes and arnt exactly chubby......  

HK123

Maki Minakoaino

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:08 am
HK123
Catcheen
HK123

they do, if they dont have clothes and arnt exactly chubby......

In order to dress a baby: usually it's however YOU are comfortable plus one layer, so basically, one layer more than how many the person dressing them is wearing. and my baby is a furnace, so i dress her in one layer less than i'm wearing. The only time babies are cold even in summer time is when they're just born. they can't regulate their temperature for a couple of days.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:10 am
If I had more information and some time, I would make clothes for the kids.  

Maki Minakoaino

Umberella

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:11 am
Is there a sticky for a topic like this? If someone could make a list of links for the charities that take knitted donations...
I've never donated, but I've heard of these places.
Most of us might be busy with jobs, kids, or school so it's just an idea I'm throwing out here.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:54 pm
It's pretty obvious that you could donate clothing for any size of person to Goodwill or the Salvation Army... And right now, I think it'd be more useful to donate things like water, mini fans, and umbrellas. The "babies" won't freeze this winter if they die of heat stroke tomorrow.  

Lychee Fruit

Dangerous Stalker

15,900 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100

Zahra Ovaci

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:00 am
Another couple of notes regarding baby clothes smile

If you're making a hat, make sure to have the seam (if there is one) on the outside. Babies have sensitive heads.

Infants tend to hold their arms in relaxed curve shapes - so taking an inch or two off "standard" sleeve length will make them fit better.

For Fair Isles patterns, no long floats. For lace, no holes where babies can get their fingers caught. That's just no fun for the baby or the mother smile

Babies have HUGE heads in relation to thair body - extending the neck opening along a shoulder (buttons are good here) can make the difference between a fitting and non-fitting garment.

ANd finally, it's a good idea to make baby garments out of machine washable and dryable materials. If you're dealing with a newborn, last thing you have time to do is hand-wash tiny sweaters.  
Craftin'

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff