Welcome to Gaia! ::

Absolute Furry the Guild

Back to Guilds

Gaia's Oldest Furry Guild 

Tags: Furry, Furries, Anthro, Anthropomorphic, Roleplay 

Reply Art / Writing show and exchange!
~Art Etiquette~(Guidelines for how to Exchange Art Nicely) Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Zella L.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 2:36 pm
I find that a list of guidelines might help people in the exchange of art. =P These aren't rules, they are guidelines. Feel free to post any other politenesses, and I'll add them.
NOTE: I CAN AND WILL offer my opinions (the same goes for everyone) about whether something is polite or not, unless of course you specify that you don't want people to...
HOWEVER I am not an elite artist and ethicist or whatever, so my opinions are not law. ....unless this thread gets out of hand, then I have right to tell people to solve disputes or leave.

Post 1: Introduction
Post 2: Etiquette for both Commissioner and Artist
Post 3: Etiquette for Commissioner
Post 4: Etiquette for Artist
Post 5: Extra  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 2:37 pm
Etiquette for Both Commissionner and Artist

1. Say please and thank you
2. Be patient and understanding
3. Keep in mind that the commissionner always has freedom of whomever they want to commission/not commission.  

Zella L.

Zella L.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 2:39 pm
Etiquette for Artist

1. Don't advertise for your art in someone else's domain.
2. Do your best.
3. Do not do any major experimentation on a commission piece.
4. If you are busy, politely inform the commissionner that their piece will have to wait. Do not yell at them.
5. Refrain from doing pieces that have been scheduled afterwards before your commissioner. Art-block smashers, deadlined contest entries, spur of the moment drawings, and other pieces are exceptions.
6. Look carefully at the reference that the commissioner gave you.
7. Do not produce a risque piece unless you are certain that the commissioner would want that.
8. You MUST credit artists that you use in your work, and most of the time you have to get permission too.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 2:40 pm
Etiquette for Commissioner

1. Be patient and understanding.
2. Be prompt with payment.
3. Read all rules/disclaimers/everything that the artist wants you to know before commissioning.
4. If you absolutely must withdraw a commission, do it asap, and pay the artist for the work they have done if they have done some.
5. Be clear with what you want drawn. If you did not include something in your description, do not be surprised if it isn't included in the picture.
6. Don't ask for free art from people you don't even know.  

Zella L.

Zella L.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 2:43 pm
Extra Post

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 5:06 pm
is it ok to post?

I've done #5 on rules for the Commissioner. Recently. Commissioned a couple piece and didn't specify the pose. so she did a really nice beginning sketch and I felt bad about telling her that the roles were supposed to be switched  

Rainey_angel81

Zella L.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:40 pm
Rainey_angel81
is it ok to post?

I've done #5 on rules for the Commissioner. Recently. Commissioned a couple piece and didn't specify the pose. so she did a really nice beginning sketch and I felt bad about telling her that the roles were supposed to be switched

Yup, it's ok to post.
That's kind of why I started this thread, becuase I was wondering if you're supposed to tell people if they did something wrong, and then I wondered about like a lot of things, so I made a list. As long as you weren't surprised by the mix up/didn't demand a refund, it's perfectly legit. In sketch form, suggesting an edit isn't out of the question usually. That's why people share sketches in the first place, that and to display that they haven't forgotten about the commissionner.
Though if it's minor, like a marking, I think it's ok to request that the artist fix it. Though that's DEFINANTLY not true with some. ninja  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:53 pm
Zella L.
Rainey_angel81
is it ok to post?

Yup, it's ok to post.
That's kind of why I started this thread, becuase I was wondering if you're supposed to tell people if they did something wrong, and then I wondered about like a lot of things, so I made a list. As long as you weren't surprised by the mix up/didn't demand a refund, it's perfectly legit. In sketch form, suggesting an edit isn't out of the question usually. That's why people share sketches in the first place, that and to display that they haven't forgotten about the commissionner.
Though if it's minor, like a marking, I think it's ok to request that the artist fix it. Though that's DEFINANTLY not true with some. ninja

if I'm paying a lot for a commission, I usually request two drafts before they start coloring, so that the picture is really how I want it to turn out. Sometimes it's mostly the tail and ears that people get wrong, so I'll politely ask if they can round the ears a little bit or round the tail or make it longer and thicker. I think I've only had a one problem with an artist really not doing what I wanted or completely wrong species >.>  

Rainey_angel81

Zella L.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:56 pm
Rainey_angel81
Zella L.
Rainey_angel81
is it ok to post?

Yup, it's ok to post.

if I'm paying a lot for a commission, I usually request two drafts before they start coloring, so that the picture is really how I want it to turn out. Sometimes it's mostly the tail and ears that people get wrong, so I'll politely ask if they can round the ears a little bit or round the tail or make it longer and thicker. I think I've only had a one problem with an artist really not doing what I wanted or completely wrong species >.>

I remember one person thought you were a clouded leopard, though the pic seemed pretty accurate anyway.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:00 pm
Uhh...Guyver47 on my conbadge put clouded leopard in her description, but it was snow leopard markings on her. So I let that one slide  

Rainey_angel81

Krissim Klaw

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:58 pm
Ok, time for a big Krissim pet peev. It is not a good idea to pm someone you don't know and go, will you draw for me? Like the artist is just going to drop to a their hands and knees and do a complete stranger free picture. rolleyes talk2hand

It is ok to ask if they are willing to do art, but do it nicely. For instance. I really like your art and was wondering if you do commissions?  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 12:05 am
Krissim Klaw
Ok, time for a big Krissim pet peev. It is not a good idea to pm someone you don't know and go, will you draw for me? Like the artist is just going to drop to a their hands and knees and do a complete stranger free picture. rolleyes talk2hand

It is ok to ask if they are willing to do art, but do it nicely. For instance. I really like your art and was wondering if you do commissions?

bad people who ask good artists for free art >.>  

Rainey_angel81

Krissim Klaw

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 12:08 am
Rainey_angel81
Krissim Klaw

bad people who ask good artists for free art >.>
I seriously just remembered why I took this picture of the demonic horse out of my sig. I didn't have it up one day without getting random pms from people asking for free art. Didn't help that half don't even take the time to use complete sentences and spell legibly. XP  
Art / Writing show and exchange!

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff