Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Words that irritate you when not written right Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

stuntmonkey

Dapper Entrepreneur

8,175 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:26 pm
I hate it when people do not capitalize the letter "I" Ugh gonk I also hate it when people spell congratulations like "congradulations" It makes me want to kick them between their legs.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:51 pm
stuntmonkey
I hate it when people do not capitalize the letter "I" Ugh gonk I also hate it when people spell congratulations like "congradulations" It makes me want to kick them between their legs.
Whats wrong with caping "I", we are supposed right?
With the congratulations....I'm guilty of spelling it with the d because I thought that it was spelled that way. sweatdrop  

dark_elf

The MoUsY spell-checker

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:32 am
dark_elf
stuntmonkey
Whats wrong with caping "I", we are supposed right?
With the congratulations....I'm guilty of spelling it with the d because I thought that it was spelled that way. sweatdrop

What? She said when people do not capitalise "I".  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:12 pm
I hate all of the above as well.  

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250

SeleigheFey

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:21 pm
It's more a grammar than a spelling thing, but I hate it when people misuse apostrophes. If I get one more invitation that says "Your Invited..." scream Or when you walk into the grocery store and the sign says "Apple's." It's not that hard to get right!  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:12 pm
I can say that it wasn't until sort of recently that I spelled grammar as 'grammer'. sweatdrop I know that it annoys quite a few people, especially when someone is scolding someone else about using proper 'grammer' and spelling and stuff. It basically ruins the message.

Anywho, two things that really annoy me are the incorrect uses of there, they're, and their, as well as the uses of your and you're. It's an easy thing to mess up when typing, but lately I've been noticing wrong uses of these a lot.  

BlindingTwilight

Archdemonessa

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:42 pm
A GROCERY STORE? Aren't those people supposed to have good grammar? Holy crap. Well I hate it when people say this like 'phis'. The key's aren't even that close to each other!  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:24 pm
I hate it when people spell "follow" as "fallow" or some other various misspelling. *dies*  

chrystalclear

Teh Caity

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:07 pm
I'm guilty of often not capitalizing my "I"'s....I forget about the shift key. lol. I'm a dork like that.
I hate (this is odd) I hate when people spell masturbate with an e. It bothers the hell and a half out of me.

I'm also guilty of saying "outta" and "wanna". Maybe I shouldn't be here 0_o  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 1:43 am
SeleigheFey
It's more a grammar than a spelling thing, but I hate it when people misuse apostrophes. If I get one more invitation that says "Your Invited..." scream Or when you walk into the grocery store and the sign says "Apple's." It's not that hard to get right!

Apparently, this is common enough so that one name for it is "greengrocer's apostrophe". (Have you read Eats, Shoots, and Leaves?)

I've been to a shop where one of the shelves of DVDs have the apostrophe and another one doesn't. I think in a way that's worse than having both of them with the apostrophes, because if they have both then it's obvious that one isn't right.  

The MoUsY spell-checker

KiraLight

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:59 am
Groceries also make mistakes in their express lanes
It says 15 items or less..or maybe it was 15 items or fewer...
haha, I can't remember anymore  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:17 am
I hate it when people take shortcuts in typing. <.< Not much more to this thread than that.  

DarkElf27

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200

Defective Confectionary

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:01 am
I hate when people spell "You're/You are" Y-O-U-R.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:02 am
The miss use of the word "don't".

Correct: "Don't touch that!"
Incorrect: "We have this movie already, don't we?"

Same with "aren't" and every other "n't" word.  

My name is Sue!

snazy-a-tastic

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:08 am
It really bothers me when the little words haven't been spelt out. For example, i, u, r. The mis-use of the apostrophe also tends to drive me up the wall.  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff