Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply The Official Australian Guild
Steve Irwin & 1 minute silences?! Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

minutes silence of respect for Steve Irwin?
  Yes
  No
  I'm not sure
  I couldnt careless
View Results

Isien

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:36 am
Ok as the majority of us know 'Steve Irwin the crocodile hunter is dead after being attacked by a stingray while filming a documenty..etc.' if you havent you can google it and get a million of articles or hit this link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Irwin#Death
...however more importantly i have heard from a friend that her school held a minutes silence for him and i want to know if people agree that this an alright practice and that steve irwin deserves the same sign of respect that the ANZACs and the people who died in the terroists attacks of 9/11 and such have?  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:37 am
by the way personally i dont think he should have a minutes silence  

Isien

Lady_Arianwen

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:17 am
He was a great guy, its sad to see him go ....
n yeah a minutes silence is a good idea  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:55 pm
Why should he recieve a minute silence when most people do not even stand and give the ANZAC's one?
Don't get me wrong, it was a sad day and he was an icon...but there have been more people who have done a lot more and gotten a hell of a lot less...

ethuil

WellzY
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:21 am
No silence for him. It's just, what's the point? He's really no more deserving than anyone who died from an accident, it just so happened he was also rather famous.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:18 am
also everyone has done there own little thing for "grievance", including that turtle thing that i see everywhere on my msn list.... realistically he shouldnt get one...  

scruffy012

Ros!e

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:48 pm
I don't think he would have wanted that - nor a state funeral. He was a really down to earth bloke - hero treatment wouldn't be what he wanted in death.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:06 pm
I don't think a minute's silence is the right way to go. I understand he was an icon in Oz, very famous, and did a lot of good for the wildlife there. However, would we give a minute's silence to, say, Tom Cruise if he died? No. He's just an actor, when it comes right down to it. Another average Joe under the shimmer and shine of stardom.

Besides, to be honest, I don't think Steve would want all that hullabaloo anyway. In fact, I think he'd much rather be remembered with a laugh rather than tears of grief.

And so I'm going to take this in a slightly different direction by sharing my favourite memory of him. 4laugh

I remember watching his show one night and he was driving around the Outback. Suddenly he pulled over, jumped out of the fourbie and ran along the dirt road to catch some grey snake looking thing that was supposed to be a 'legless lizard'. Snake, if you ask me. xp Anywho, he's going on about what this thing is when it suddenly bites him (like quite a few creatures did, as a matter of fact). He laughed, said, "Little blighter bit me!" Then paused, looked semi-serious (I say semi because there was no such thing as all out serious with him) and said, "I guess I should find out if this one's poisonous." Then, to my jawdropping disbelief, he actually ran back to the fourbie after gently putting the lizard (snake!) down and pulled out a book. He flipped through the pages for a few seconds, stopped, read a bit, then smiled from ear-to-ear and said, "Lucky for me this is the only type of that particular species that has no venom!" I about fainted. I thought, "Oh my god ... you didn't think to read that before picking up a potentially dangerous animal and risking a good bite?!"

I still laugh myself silly when I think of that episode. It was brilliant. 4laugh  

BeMuled MissBeth

Shameless Fairy

19,400 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • First step to fame 200

PrinceTimothy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:35 pm
I think that if people want to then that is their choice, if people don't then that again, is their choice...  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:58 pm
personally if you want to go give him a mins silence than i say sure whatever go for it, thats your own choice and actions that you are entitled to...

But I dont believe that holding a minutes silence for him at a school assembly where a student would be instantly criticised and deemed the evil one for not believing that the silence would be appropriate or worthy of such a person especially if other students and people are as ethuil say and not even standing in silence for the ANZAC's regardless of whether Steve Irwin would have wanted one or not

I dont believe Steve Irwin deserves a minutes silence to begin with either especiallly in a school..i think the idea is a slight overreaction to his death. I mean sure he has had a large contribution to conservation efforts - but so have a lot of volunteer and workers in the areas of conserving the environment and wildlife - silence for Irwin would only be based on his high profile in my mind not his actions as a conservation. His high profile shouldn't be reason enough to give him a minutes silence either nationwide cause we would never give a minutes silence for an actor/actress or high profile celebrity such as tom cruise, nicole kidman or even pauline hanson.
It has just come out to me that Peter Brock the retired V8 supercar racer has just died in a racing accident in W.A and they have just listed him as doing a lot for charities and the sport of racing..this seems to be a similar situation in my mind to Steve Iwrin: both died in tragic accidents and have done charitable work - however he most likely will not get a minutes silence so why should Steve Irwin be paid one?!

I find that minute silences are held for those who had made a large contribution and sacrifice for the well-being of the rest of society (i.e The ANZAC's) or people who have had their lives stolen from them such as the victims of terroism: 9/11 or school shootings
....Steve Irwin might have been a great person & made a large contribution to society, but there are many other people out there on the same stage without the spotlight on them that no one will ever think to pay a seconds notice let alone a minute of silence to after they die  

Isien

Isien

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:44 am
scruffy012
also everyone has done there own little thing for "grievance", including that turtle thing that i see everywhere on my msn list.... realistically he shouldnt get one...

yeh everyone has there own special way of paying respects or coping with the death of steve and it doesnt always need to be public etc.

...haha i had a chick half attack me cause i wouldnt put turtles in my nameand thought it was an overreaction of people to have minute silences held for him - she inspired me to make this topic because of it mrgreen  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:43 am
My entire family was silent for hours after we heard. At first, there was a rather sharp "What?" and a few "Huh?" and "Noooes!", then there was complete silence.  

Galadedrid Damodred

kitsunelilly

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 5:41 pm
A Soul So Black
My entire family was silent for hours after we heard. At first, there was a rather sharp "What?" and a few "Huh?" and "Noooes!", then there was complete silence.

I woke up and my friend called me and told me and yea i was like that too  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:09 pm
yeh it was a bit of jaw dropping moment when the news came out  

Isien

1TS JESUS LOL

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 2:05 am
Isien
yeh it was a bit of jaw dropping moment when the news came out

It certainly was, but i honestly don't believe it's worthy of a minutes silence, some people may think so, but to me, minutes silences will always be for our ANZAC's.  
The Official Australian Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff