Ever watch him on TV?
  Yes, all the time
  Somtimes
  Not really
View Results

lurichan
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:04 pm
Steve Irwin was one of the major TV icons of the 90s. His energy and passion for wildlife convservation seemed to bridge the gap to all different walks of life.

He was a passionate man with a mission, and believed 100% that teaching the public about wild animals through the medium of television would help people to realize just how imporant they are.

His life was cut short at the age of 44 years old when he was stung in the chest by a stingray.

A lot of people have been influenced by his shows in ways either great or small. His energy, his passion, and his drive will forever be his legacy to future generations. His career spanned over many different shows, all dedicated to wildlife, but his first and most memorable show was "The Crocodile Hunter". The title belied what the show was truely about. Though the beginings of the show did indeed show Steve in the process of capturing, and relocating animals he wasn't so much a hunter as a spokesperson for an animal that had recieved so much negative attention in the past. He would talk about reptiles as though they were long lost friends. He made everything personal, and it always felt as though he was talking directly to you the viewer at home. His spirit was always bright, and even in the dark times he still always had a message of hope that he would try to bring to others.

This thread is to reflect back on fond memories, special moments and to remember a man who has done much for conservation movements everywhere. He shall be sorely missed.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:07 pm
He died doing what he loved most. I hope his soul is at peace. *bows my head*  

lurichan
Vice Captain

Ascher

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:18 pm
I take this quote out of a conversation I had on AIM about this man... :

"He would grab the world's deadliest animals practically by the scrotum and not get hurt at all. All the poison insects, snakes, large cats, crocodiles just like his namesake..."

I personally would never have the guts to do less than one sixteenth of everything he did. He was a man who truly loved nature, and was badass enough to not fear the creepy crawly deadly things that live within it.

Steve Irwin my hat goes off to you.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:21 am
Stever Irwin.
A man whom will always be in my memory.

I love him most for his special on Penguins, for he got down right with them and played around. Plus, like mention, just would get right down in the mud with any animal he ever came accross.

I shall get all his shows and have my children view them in the future.
May he always be in our hears.

Rest In Peace Steve.  

Macabre_Cogitation
Crew

GreedsLittleEdo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:40 am
It's sad how he died from a Stringray's barb, everyone always thought he would die from his croc's or the snakes. But he died doing something for his daughter, but the man loved what he was doing.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:09 am
I seriously thought my friend Aidan was joking when he told me that Steve died.

He lives in Australia, so he knew before us in the U.S. would know, therefore I knew before a lot of people, but thought it was a joke.

gonk

I was really sad when I found out it was true. It's just a testament to how fleeting life is.

I'll miss that crazy mook.

heart

MortSanglant

YuukiRendar

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:42 am
Yeah...i was totally bummed when i found out h e died...  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:15 pm
I was compeatly and utterly shocked. He seemed invincible. He was always getting bitten, but it was never a problem. But that simple sting ray got him in the most vulnerable place. Now, he's gone. It doesn't seem like it though. As I said; he seemed invincible.  

SaiBlackNight

The Deadliest Grace

4,650 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:36 pm
I literally cried when i heard. and at first I didn't even beleive it, it was just the thought that scared me. And then when i found out it was true? I was just devastated. I totally looked up to him.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:53 pm
RIP Steve may you rest in eternal peace.  

.+Melanthios+.

ceilisidhe

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:22 pm
How could one so distant cause such emotion to stir within his viewers? To me he didn't seem distant at all - he spoke not into the camera but as if we were there beside him, along for the adventure. Though he was shy around crowds he was ever the friendly sort to any who crossed his path. 'Tis a strange thing for tears to come unbidden to mine eyes throughout the day...I looked up to the man who spent his life doing what he loved surrounded by those he loved. Bona na croin, Steve Irwin. Merry the parting.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:41 pm
Crikey! crying  

nerdlover08

+~Luna.Le.Fay~+

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:07 am
A valiant man, that one =( . Steve Irwin was Australia's icon and I'm an Australian so I will never forget the great things that he has done.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:34 am
stare personally im unimpressed that so many people feel for the untimely death of a washed out tv star.
Ill openly say, i couldnt care less if he died or not.
Then again im not one for weeping over death  

Choboxer

5,800 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

Whisperer~Nightshade

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:01 am
I agree with everyone else- Steve Irwin did do what he loved most and died doing it. Wildlife and informing the public about it was what he was going to do for the rest of his life, but it sadly ended while fulfilling his dream.

Rest In Peace.  
~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces