Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Alternative Lifestyles Guild

Back to Guilds

A safe place for anyone who identifies with the LGBTQ(IP) community and their allies. 

Tags: lesbian, gays, queer, transgender, LGBT 

Reply 06. "Life Issues" - Advice & Counseling
Help? Sexualities (and more) defined Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 ... 20 21 22 23 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Artemis-X

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:53 am
i'm trying to make sure that i have a good list of sexualities, gender identities, gender expressions, and other terms that isn't confusing..... simple definitions of terms is really nice >.>' but still can be confusing... especially when you try to brief over it in wikipedia....>.>' so if people want to make sure i have them correct, say yay! and if they think i need to correct something, say nay! and help me correct it?
or even add more terms that i'm not aware of? >.>'

schulte

2/7/2010:

i completely re-did the list, so that it would be in alphabetical order and include some terms that were missing.

any questions or terms that still belong on the list, either post here or PM me.

Agender - (also referred to as "gender-neutral") is a term used to describe persons with neither a female or male gender. This person can be any physical sex, but their body does not necessarily correspond with their lack of gender identity.

Androgynous - The word androgynous refers to a person who does not display a distinctly male or distinctly female appearance.

Antisexual - Antisexualism is a belief that sexuality is wrong or should be avoided. It is distinct from asexuality in that an antisexual person can be sexual or asexual. It should also be noted that not all asexuals are antisexual.

Aromantic - People who don't feel romantic love or attraction. Aromantic people—whether sexual or asexual—still have emotions and a desire to connect to others. Romantic love is not the only form of love that exists.

Asexual - An orientation based on the lack of sexual attraction to other humans beings. Does not necessarily mean they don't masturbate, have sex, etc. It just means asexual people never look at other human beings and experience an arousal response or a desire to have sex with them.

Baby Dyke - A baby dyke is a young lesbian, usually in her teens or early twenties.

Barebacking - Barebacking is unprotected sex between men.

Bear - A term used by gay men to describe a husky, large man with a lot of body hair.

Bi-curious - A term for people interested in exploring same gender sexual experiences without necessarily identifying as gay, lesbian or bisexual.

Bisexual - Bisexual individuals are sexually and romantically attracted to people of the opposite gender and people of the same gender.

Boi - in the lesbian community, a young transgendered/androgynous/masculine person who is biologically female and presents themselves in a young, boyish way.

Butch - A butch lesbian is a woman who may dress and act in a way that society considers masculine.

CAFAB - "Coercively assigned female at birth". Nearly synonymous with FAAB, though when used by Intersex people it illustrates more clearly that the assignment was made without involving the person whose sex was being assigned (and may have involved surgical modifications).

CAMB- "Coercively Assigned Male At Birth". Nearly synonymous with MAAB, though when used by Intersex people it illustrates more clearly that the assignment was made without involving the person whose sex was being assigned (and may have involved surgical modifications).

Cisgender - A person who is cisgendered is someone who identifies as the gender (not sex) they were assigned at birth.

Coming Out - Acknowledging one's GLBT orientation is called coming out.

Demisexual- People who experience only secondary sexual attraction, as a result of romantic or emotional connection with a particular individual or individuals. They never feel sexual desire for strangers, celebrities, or people they don’t know well/aren’t comfortable around/etc.

Dental Dam - A dental dam is a barrier used to reduce the risk of STDs during oral sex.

Down Low - Being on the down low refers to men who discretely, or secretly, have sex with other men.

Drag - Drag refers to dressing in the clothes and adopting the persona of someone of the opposite gender. Drag kings and queens often use drag as a form of performance.

Ex-Gay - The ex-gay movement says people can change their sexual orientation. This is not possible and claiming it is promotes anti-gay feelings and hostilities.

FAAB- "Female-Assigned At Birth". A person who is FAAB was sexed as female, most likely based on how that person’s genitalia were perceived by the attending physician.

Faghag - A woman, usually heterosexual, who likes to be in the company of homosexual men, and/or is attracted primarily to gay men at the expense of heterosexual ones.

Femme - This is both gender expression and a gender. A femme lesbian is a woman who dresses and act in a way that society considered typically feminine. A person may consider themselves to be gender neutral, but their gender expression may lean towards femme. A person could be transgender, but specifically identify as femme.

FTM - FTM refers to a transgender person who is transitioning from female to male.

Gay / Straight Alliances (GSA) - A Gay /Straight Alliance is an organization, often found at schools, that is made up of people who support the GLBT community.

Gay Pride - Gay Pride refers to feeling positively about being gay or celebrating the GLBT community. Many cities hold annual Gay Pride events.

Gay - Being gay means being romantically and/or physically attracted to the same gender.

Gaydar - Gaydar is the sixth sense some GLBT people have which tells them someone else is gay.

Gender Identity Disorder - Gender Identity Disorder (GID) is a controversial psychological diagnosis that may be given to a transgender person.

Gender Identity - Gender identity refers to whether we feel strongly that we are either male, female or transgender. Some people feel they do not conform to any gender identity.

Gender Neutral Pronouns - Used to refer to a person without necessarily designating them a gender. May be used by those who do not identify with a gender.
Refer to this post for more info.

Gender Non-Conforming - Gender non-conforming refers to people who do not adhere to society's rules about dress and activities for people that are based on their sex.

Gender - Gender refers to the behavioral, cultural, and psychological traits typically associated with one sex (male or female).

Genderpivot- A term i coined to describe the intersection of genderfluid and bigender identities in which one of the genders remains stagnant while the second gender fluctuates without a predestined path.

Genderqueer - Genderqueer refers to people who do not adhere to strictly male or female identities and roles. A genderqueer person often chooses to present as neither clearly male, nor clearly female, but rather as a gender-free individual.

Gray-A - Someone who is in between asexuality and sexuality. Includes people who experience sexual attraction only under specific circumstances, whose attraction is not strong enough to act on, who experience some parts of attraction but not others. A "gray area" of asexuality.

GSM- GSM is an acronym for “Gender and/or Sexuality Minority.” This is the basic catch-all for people who are not cisgender and/or heterosexual. It is more encompassing than the traditional LGBT and other such acronyms while still including those who don’t identify as queer or who are offended by the term.

Heteroflexible - Heteroflexible often refers to people who don't identify as gay, lesbian or bisexual but who are still open to experiencing same sex sexual experiences.

Heterosexism - Heterosexism is the assumption that everyone is heterosexual or that being heterosexual is preferable to being GLBT.

Homophobia - Homophobia is the fear, dislike, or hatred of a person who is gay, lesbian, or bisexual.

Intersex - “Intersex” is a general term used for a variety of conditions in which a person is born with a reproductive or sexual anatomy that doesn’t seem to fit the typical definitions of female or male. For example, a person might be born appearing to be female on the outside, but having mostly male-typical anatomy on the inside.

Lesbian - Being lesbian refers to women who are romantically and/or physically attracted to other women.

Lesbro - This is a term given to a straight man that has an abundance of lesbian friends. Basically the male equivelant to FagHag.

LGBTQA - Lesbian, gay, bisexual, transsexual, queer, allies or asexual

Metrosexual - heterosexual male who appears slightly gay due to his impeccable sense of style, belief in designer hygiene, and willingness to emote.

MSM - stands for "men who have sex with men."

MTF - refers to a transgender person who is transitioning from male to female.

No Homo - The offensive phrase, "No homo" is used by people who don't want others to mistake them for gay.

Nonlibidoism - A nonlibidoist is a person who does not have a sex drive, and hence does not experience sexual urges or desires (and in particular, does not masturbate). Nonlibidoism is not equivalent to asexuality, since a large percentage of asexuals do have sex drives or libidos, but still lack any sexual attraction.

Outing - Outing is telling people that someone else is gay without their permission.

Panromantic - A person who is romantically attracted to others but is not limited by the other's sex or gender. Similar to biromantic except that it includes genders beyond male and female including transgender and third gender.

Pansexual - Pansexual refers to someone who is attracted to other people regardless of their gender.

Parents and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG) - PFLAG is a well established support group.

Safer Sex - Safer sex refers to things we do to lower the chances of contracting a sexually transmitted infection during sexual activity.

Same-Sex Marriage - Same sex marriage is when two people of the same gender wed.

Sex - Sex refers to biological maleness or femaleness.

Sexting - Sexting is sending sexual text messages and pictures.

Sexual Orientation - Sexual orientation refers to the direction of a person's romantic and sexual attractions. There are many common sexual orientations.

Skoliosexual- A potential sexual attraction to non-binary identified individuals. This does not generally describe an attraction to specific genitalia or birth assignments but rather is an inclusive term.

Sodomy Laws - People often assume the term sodomy refers to a**l sex between men. In fact, it is an old term that was used Biblically to refer to oral and a**l sex. As a result, numerous laws existed prohibiting this act.

Straight - heterosexual, being romantically and/or sexually attracted to the opposite gender.

Straight Ally - A straight ally is someone who identifies as heterosexual but supports GLBT rights.

Trans* - Transgender, Transsexual, genderqueer, Non-Binary, Genderfluid, ********, Intersex, Third gender, Transvestite, Cross-dresser, Bi-gender, Trans man, Trans woman, Agender and further gender expressions that we may not be aware of. The asterisk indicates inclusion of all these expressions whereas without it, one might be referring just to transmen and transwomen.

Transgender - Transgender individuals may have the genitals of one sex, but a gender identity usually associated with the other.

Transphobia - Transphobia is the fear, hatred or dislike of a person because that person is transgender.

Transsexual - A transsexual is a person who identifies as a member of the opposite gender. People who are transsexual often want to surgically or hormonally alter their bodies to match their identity.

Trisexual - A person or persons actively engaging in sexual intercourse with anyone or anything, be he, she, or it animate or inanimate.

Twink - A smooth-bodied, almost pre-pubescent looking young gay male.

UAAB- "Un-Assigned At Birth". A person who is UAAB was sexed as being neither male or female, most likely based on how that person’s genitalia were perceived by the attending physician. This is a very rare designation.

WSW - Women Who Have Sex with Women  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:38 am
I think transvestite technically means that you do it for sexual gratification, i.e. you like to have sex dressed as the opposite gender.
Cross-dressers do it more for an emotional reason, i.e. they want to express the part of them that is the opposite gender.
In both of these cases, they do not intend to become the opposite gender.

Technically, transgender is an umbrella term that includes transgender, transsexual, transvestite, cross-dressers, drag queens/kings, and gender queer individuals.
Gender queer is what I use to describe people who don't identify as either gender, or both genders, or some other non-male/non-female gender.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's how I understand it.  

Nebbie

Artemis-X

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 5:54 pm
Nebbie
I think transvestite technically means that you do it for sexual gratification, i.e. you like to have sex dressed as the opposite gender.
Cross-dressers do it more for an emotional reason, i.e. they want to express the part of them that is the opposite gender.
In both of these cases, they do not intend to become the opposite gender.

Technically, transgender is an umbrella term that includes transgender, transsexual, transvestite, cross-dressers, drag queens/kings, and gender queer individuals.
Gender queer is what I use to describe people who don't identify as either gender, or both genders, or some other non-male/non-female gender.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's how I understand it.
hmm... all right. i'll add that about the 'sexual gratification' and 'emotional gratification' to those two meanings... but yeah, one of the things i came along was that 'transgender was an umbrella term... >.>' oy....
gender queer.... might need some extra input on that just to make sure that we have things right ^^'  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 11:01 pm
No you have that backwards. Transexual is emmotional, and cross dresser is sexual.  

CassiOrchid

Artemis-X

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 11:11 pm
CassiOrchid
No you have that backwards. Transexual is emmotional, and cross dresser is sexual.
thankies hun ^^-
so i'm transsexual? >.>'
or.... wait, do you mean transvestite...?  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 11:17 pm
You'd have to dress like a boy and act like one all the time.  

CassiOrchid

Artemis-X

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 11:18 pm
i realize this now =x
but did you mean transvestite.... not transsexual?  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 11:56 pm
:: looks about :: Yes, that is what I meant.  

CassiOrchid

Artemis-X

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:06 am
okay. all updated now ^^  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:56 am
Artemis-X

Trisexual - attraction in men, women and a third party [oneself, animals, or vegetables]

NOOOOOOOO!!!NOT THE ANIMALS...OR THE VEGIES!ok..how do you have sex with a vegie? rolleyes what id the vegie is a cactus??? xd  

SnowflakeGirl

Artemis-X

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:36 am
SnowflakeGirl
Artemis-X

Trisexual - attraction in men, women and a third party [oneself, animals, or vegetables]

NOOOOOOOO!!!NOT THE ANIMALS...OR THE VEGIES!ok..how do you have sex with a vegie? rolleyes what id the vegie is a cactus??? xd
i think it's like.... erm.... masturbation with a vegetable.... such as a cucumber >.>'  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:35 pm
what about new halfs  

Kristinas

Artemis-X

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:55 pm
kikyoisthehottie
what about new halfs
where you are born with one gender, and have surgery to become a shemale....?  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:15 pm
I've never heard the term gender queer before. I always thought that considering your self as both genders or neither was an off-shoot to asexuality. (at least in some cases; like me for instance). But I could see someone who wasn't asexual considering them selves that. It's good to know. ^^

Also; you're totally awesome for posting this, Arty! I think this should be sticky'ed so that everyone can look at it. If someone's confused, they can figure it out. ^_^  

VorpalStorm

Artemis-X

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:25 pm
=x i wasn't sure if i should sticky it or not when i first posted it ^^'  
06. "Life Issues" - Advice & Counseling

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 ... 20 21 22 23 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items