Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Crochet is hard... Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Fenhir Noble

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:14 pm
I don't know... I'm having such a hard time with learning how to crochet. The double and tripple crochet stiches look soooo ugly when I do them.

Anybody know a good video website for this?  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:27 pm
Fenhir Noble
I don't know... I'm having such a hard time with learning how to crochet. The double and tripple crochet stiches look soooo ugly when I do them.

I've seen a few good tutorials on About.Com and I think they have one or two good ones on Crochet Pattern Central. I prefer the Crochet Pattern Central ones because they're easier for me to follow, mostly because I can find just the one that works for me. But if you can understand the ones on About.Com they'd probably be better because they're more predictable. I guess it's all about opinion...
But more than anything, I'd say practice makes perfect, and don't worry if they dont' look that great now, it took me a LONG time before my DC and TC looked even decent.  

Story From The Stars

2,950 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Full closet 200

Kanhoro

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:20 am
Fenhir Noble

i think i read osmewher that crochet takes 1/3 more yarn or seomthuing liek that, no sure, i only use crochet when i need to repair a skipped stitch that has stlipped or soemthing lik ethat. anyway cortche is nice, btu i still prefer knitting and crochet as supplmranty, crochet you can add more things that has more leeway. like you can make oemthign round like the part in a thumb of the glove without using DPN  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:35 am
Yeah, the third Stitch n' b***h book (The Happy Hooker) says it takes more yarn to crochet than knit.
I like to crochet because it is more portable.
Also, crocheting net purses is really fun and fast using the Fishnet Stitch.
And the sad part is crochet IS KIND OF UGLY. It's just how you look at it.

I like it, but unless your making something with really fine yarn or thread, it's just a bunch of bumpy knots and loops. It's got that relaxed granny feel to it. And I love my granny.  

Umberella

pinkteddy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:55 am
I gave up on crochet. . . knitting was so much easier, better, and better looking!

Crochet just wasn't my type at all.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:47 am
What I like in crochet is that you don't loose stitches (there is only one stitch to loose.) AND that it is easier to make round objects like hats and such. It is easier to go more dimentional as knitting AND it is easier to travel with.

It does cost more yarn does it. This baffled me when I learned it.

As for the question, double and triple is easy. You just wrap the tread extra on the needle and take it in steps. Do you have anybody in the neighboorhood who can show it? Like a granny or yarnshop?  

Molly Mollusca

Dapper Seeker

VP Club Freakin Justice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:26 am
I used to think that crocheting was hard and that I would never get the hang of it. Fortunately I found Crochet Pattern Central and an easy patter from one of my friends. The pattern I'm working on just has a bunch of squares made of double crochet that will be crocheted together in the end. The more squares the more practice!  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:52 am
Yes, a lot of people think that crochet is harder, and to a certain extent it probably is. But I guess because I learned it first it was MUCH easier for me. Plus the logic of it is always a plus. Plus I'm much better at making my own patterns with crochet. sweatdrop  

Story From The Stars

2,950 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Full closet 200

ajazzydancer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:23 pm
Practice, practice practice.
i love crocheting but i did have to fine tune my skill first  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 11:41 pm
Do you have a public library around? Try to find Stitch 'n b***h Happy Hooker. That book has the best and easiest crochet instructions, in my opinion. It's the only thing that was able to get through to me, and for the longest time, I was crochet-challenged.  

DecemberFlower

2,000 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200

La Sabre

8,800 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Mark Twain 100
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:05 pm
I agree with everyone else who suggested Happy Hooker. That's what I taught myself how to crochet with. It's pretty awesome. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:23 pm
Okay, all i can say is: Practice. Stitches will look better the more you work on them. Are your double and tripple crochets ugly compared to other double or triple crochets you've seen, or is it just that you don't like the look? Its a much different look then knitting, and alot of people don't like the look half as much.

Also, try doing a row of single crochet before your doubles or triples. the chain can throe things off.

Do you know anyone who crochets? Some people have an easier time learning if they start on the second row, not with the chains and things.  

kochi~mochi

4,750 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200

Fenhir Noble

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:04 am
Well, I've practiced and now I'm a lot better.
I find it hard to believe that crochet uses more yarn then knitting.... It's a lot faster though.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:34 pm
No one said it, but if you type www.stitchguide.com, it will take you to a site where you can hit stitch help an there're videos and illustrations and whatnot.  

Bultar

Fenhir Noble

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:25 am
Ah that is so cool! Thanks!  
Craftin'

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items