Welcome to Gaia! ::

+ The Official 'Got Goth?' Guild +

Back to Guilds

Tags: goth, subculture, alternative 

Reply ~ Main Forum ~
Can someone explain to me what a "Mallgoth" is?? Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Gold.
  Yay.
View Results

trampyre

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:20 am
I've seen it mentioned a few times in here, so now I'm wondering if it's just what I think it means or if it refers to something specific. I believe it has something to do with "mallcore" clothing, which I'm guessing is all this emo or instagoth Hot Topic stuff. Anyone care to illuminate me? I feel kind of behind the times. gonk  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:03 am
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.  

UraniumMonk

ieatyourtclol

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:10 am
UraniumMonk
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

^ ________________ ^

What he said!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:23 am
Now no offense to anyone who turns out to be a "mall goth" but here are the basics as I have experienced.

*Mall is god
*Tend to wear GOBS of Hot Topic gear (I don’t have anything against Hot Topic, they just buy everything in the store)
*Tend to have horribly done make-up (I’m talking they would fit in at a KISS concert)
*Have a serious Gothier than thou attitude
*Generally know nothing about the gothic cubculture
*Try to live up to every goth stereotype out there
*So full of angst that when you walk by them you feel dirty.
*Tend to call thouse who are actually gothic "poseurs"

Mall Goth as stated by some quiz
User Image

Personal example
Code Name : Angst Boy

Now I work at a shop in the mall and literally every day this boy walks around the mall. He has been dubbed “Angst Boy”. His clothing concists of black pants, white shirt, torn black shirt over it. The way all of us at my shop see it, he hides the shirt from his parents and puts it on when he gets to the mall. His hair is a sad fauxhawk. He constantly has headphones on and no music. All he does is walk around the mall. He NEVER goes in stores. I have seen him walk the mall for over 5 hours. He always seems pissed and full of angst. Oh and his make-up is just wrong. Every time I see him I want to tackle him and wash his face. Now I don’t mind a design on the side of the eye but if youre doing to do it, take pride in it and do it nicely. It looks like he grabbed eyeliner and had a seizer. Ok I’m don’t. I could rant about him all day. I hope that helped explain Mall Goth.  

Lady Detarra

trampyre

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:06 am
Most educational! Thank you 3nodding

Hmm, I wonder what Google will turn up if I put it in as an image search term?

Here's what I got:

http://www.dawnamatrix.com/Gallery/803Nagoya17.jpg  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:17 am
Lady Detarra
Now no offense to anyone who turns out to be a "mall goth" but here are the basics as I have experienced.

*Mall is god
*Tend to wear GOBS of Hot Topic gear (I don’t have anything against Hot Topic, they just buy everything in the store)
*Tend to have horribly done make-up (I’m talking they would fit in at a KISS concert)
*Have a serious Gothier than thou attitude
*Generally know nothing about the gothic cubculture
*Try to live up to every goth stereotype out there
*So full of angst that when you walk by them you feel dirty.
*Tend to call thouse who are actually gothic "poseurs"

Mall Goth as stated by some quiz
User Image

Personal example
Code Name : Angst Boy

Now I work at a shop in the mall and literally every day this boy walks around the mall. He has been dubbed “Angst Boy”. His clothing concists of black pants, white shirt, torn black shirt over it. The way all of us at my shop see it, he hides the shirt from his parents and puts it on when he gets to the mall. His hair is a sad fauxhawk. He constantly has headphones on and no music. All he does is walk around the mall. He NEVER goes in stores. I have seen him walk the mall for over 5 hours. He always seems pissed and full of angst. Oh and his make-up is just wrong. Every time I see him I want to tackle him and wash his face. Now I don’t mind a design on the side of the eye but if youre doing to do it, take pride in it and do it nicely. It looks like he grabbed eyeliner and had a seizer. Ok I’m don’t. I could rant about him all day. I hope that helped explain Mall Goth.

Here's a tip! Next time you see him, be ready with about 60 buckets of water, some really itchy soap, and a large Net.
Get him for me too.  

Athiel

trampyre

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:30 am
I feel kind of sorry for Angst Boy. I mean the only reason he hangs out in the mall for hours at a time must be because he has no friends. cry

But then, there's probably a reason for that, too.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:40 am
lol, you know I was just thinking, "Angst Boy" sounds like an excellent premise for a webcomic lol  

trampyre

MortSanglant

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:01 am
trampyre
lol, you know I was just thinking, "Angst Boy" sounds like an excellent premise for a webcomic lol

xd

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:25 pm
trampyre

That gets my vote biggrin

Man, I wanna see that now.  

Isobel Bellamy

Lady Detarra

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:44 pm
Hahaha it would be an amusing comic.

Angst Boy walking around the mall for hours trying to find the magic floor tile that opens the door to the Angst Lair xp too bad my phone doesnt have a camera or i'd take a picture haha.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:46 pm
trampyre
I've seen it mentioned a few times in here, so now I'm wondering if it's just what I think it means or if it refers to something specific. I believe it has something to do with "mallcore" clothing, which I'm guessing is all this emo or instagoth Hot Topic stuff. Anyone care to illuminate me? I feel kind of behind the times. gonk

We don't really have an exquivelent in the UK (mercifully from those pictures eek ) but that does mostly describe the contingent of devil-spawn children running around my city at the moment. (they've bred, I swear. When I was their age I was the only one dressed in black in my entire year, now they're turning up everywhere you look).

I somehow feel comforted that I'm not the only one that has felt the urge to wipe the bad make-up off these poor kids, I saw a guy in black lipstick (not exactly the easiest thing to pull off let's say) and extremely heavy eyeliner (the term panda wouldn't have done it justice, I think he had to use half a bottle of make-up remover to remove that mess o.O), now, it is my opinion that the majority of guys look good in eyeliner.

This one made me completely re-think this theory. It was.....well, there is no other way of saying it, it was train-wreck make-up. It made him look like someone that would be rejected from Cradle of Filth for having bad make-up. (no offence to CoF fans, but they do kinda need to work on it for it to be anything other than wierd stage costume).

I overheard several commenting on how good it looked. Truly these kids either have no taste, or are sycofants clinging to the stereotype of the bad-a** alternative black-clad freak, with the person that come closest to being a complete stereotype is the best of them.

Please join me in my prayers to whatever's out there to held guide these children into throwing away their vain tendencies and discovering the true meaning of goth and alternative. If there is any hope for them left that is.  

Isobel Bellamy

GilAskan
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:23 pm
Mallgoth (n., adj.):

1. (n.) A member of the mallcore who falsely associates themselves with the goth culture
2. (adj.) Describing a mallgoth or things liked by them.

Mallgoths tend to [note: these are characteristics that mallgoths tend to have, but having one or many of these traits does not essentially make you a mallgoth]:

-Wear almost nothing but Hot Topic Clothes
-Wear Tripp Bondage Pants
-Wear ridiculous amounts of wrist-bands
-Wear ONLY black
-Write in black sharpie words like "death" and "pain" over any white area of clothing
-Try to get attention, but claim they aren't [trying to get attention]
-Claim to be goth, but don't actually know what goth is
-Are angsty
-Claim to be "More goth"
-Instantly hate anyone who isn't mallcore
-Claim to be artistically inclined, though, typically only say this to fit in with the art crowd
-Claim to be against labels, but use labels themselves
-Spend a lot of time at the mall, annoying people or wasting time
-Purposefully scare non-goths
-Call members of the real goth culture "posers"
-Listen to bands such as (but not limited to): Marilyn Manson, Evanescence, koRn, Slipknot, My Chemical Romance, Aiden, Cradle of Filth, and AFI
-Regularly wear band logo shirts
-Wear shirts that say "I'm a Goth" or "GOTH"
-Wear too much make-up, typically which is over exaggerated
-Are undyingly obsessed with Marilyn Manson, Gerard Way, or such other figures
-Are pointlessly rebellious (i.e. against ANYTHING that's AT ALL popular)
-Claim to be bisexual (but tend to be straight, only claiming to be bisexual for attention)
-Wear too much jewelry, which tends to be low quality

These are some common traits.

Other terms for mallgoths:

Mallcore (more broad term, including mallcore-emo and mallcore-punk)
Gloomcookie (mallgoth which wears Hot Topic or such brand clothes exclusively; see picture in second post)
Doomcookie (mallgoth who wears too much makeup, typically in the style of Cradle of Filth members, Marilyn Manson, or the Crow)
M&M (see "Mansonite")
Skingoth (vain teenagers obsessed singularly with the goth image)
Kindergoth (immature teenagers who choose to be "goth" in an vain attempt to rebel)
Mansonite (term specifically referring to mallgoth who are obsessed with Marilyn Manson)
Gruftie (German slang for what we now know as mallgoth; originally referred to legitimate goths, but the actual word "goth" grew more popular)
Cucaracha (Spanish slang for mallgoths)
Nos (French slang for mallgoth, short for "Nosferatu". A shirt with the word "Nosferatu" grew very popular amongst french mallgoths)  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:50 pm
GilAskan
Mallgoth (n., adj.):

1. (n.) A member of the mallcore who falsely associates themselves with the goth culture
2. (adj.) Describing a mallgoth or things liked by them.

Mallgoths tend to [note: these are characteristics that mallgoths tend to have, but having one or many of these traits does not essentially make you a mallgoth]:

-Wear almost nothing but Hot Topic Clothes
-Wear Tripp Bondage Pants
-Wear ridiculous amounts of wrist-bands
-Wear ONLY black
-Write in black sharpie words like "death" and "pain" over any white area of clothing
-Try to get attention, but claim they aren't [trying to get attention]
-Claim to be goth, but don't actually know what goth is
-Are angsty
-Claim to be "More goth"
-Instantly hate anyone who isn't mallcore
-Claim to be artistically inclined, though, typically only say this to fit in with the art crowd
-Claim to be against labels, but use labels themselves
-Spend a lot of time at the mall, annoying people or wasting time
-Purposefully scare non-goths
-Call members of the real goth culture "posers"
-Listen to bands such as (but not limited to): Marilyn Manson, Evanescence, koRn, Slipknot, My Chemical Romance, Aiden, Cradle of Filth, and AFI
-Regularly wear band logo shirts
-Wear shirts that say "I'm a Goth" or "GOTH"
-Wear too much make-up, typically which is over exaggerated
-Are undyingly obsessed with Marilyn Manson, Gerard Way, or such other figures
-Are pointlessly rebellious (i.e. against ANYTHING that's AT ALL popular)
-Claim to be bisexual (but tend to be straight, only claiming to be bisexual for attention)
-Wear too much jewelry, which tends to be low quality

These are some common traits.

Other terms for mallgoths:

Mallcore (more broad term, including mallcore-emo and mallcore-punk)
Gloomcookie (mallgoth which wears Hot Topic or such brand clothes exclusively; see picture in second post)
Doomcookie (mallgoth who wears too much makeup, typically in the style of Cradle of Filth members, Marilyn Manson, or the Crow)
M&M (see "Mansonite")
Skingoth (vain teenagers obsessed singularly with the goth image)
Kindergoth (immature teenagers who choose to be "goth" in an vain attempt to rebel)
Mansonite (term specifically referring to mallgoth who are obsessed with Marilyn Manson)
Gruftie (German slang for what we now know as mallgoth; originally referred to legitimate goths, but the actual word "goth" grew more popular)
Cucaracha (Spanish slang for mallgoths)
Nos (French slang for mallgoth, short for "Nosferatu". A shirt with the word "Nosferatu" grew very popular amongst french mallgoths)

I'm kinda scared now, a couple of those things apply to me eek egads! I'm mallcore!! *runs around in circles screaming* unclean!! uncleean!!

*ahem*

*regains composure*

I'm saved by the fact that I'm a metal head and proud of it, Manson makes me break out in hives. (why isn't there all this fuss about poseur metal heads?) We can scare people deliberately cuz we're just like that, and it's a side effect of the multiple piercings xd

Though, I've spotted a couple people wearing a GOTH shirt, purely for irony, it seems that to be able to wear those you need to not be a teenager. I pity those that are wearing them for irony that look young.

Strangely, kindergoth here is for children that are goth (eg. under teenagedom), usualy the children of goths.

Is anyone else also giggling from "doomcookie" and "gloomcookie"? Very amusing.  

Isobel Bellamy

IY_and_MCR
Crew

5,650 Points
  • Member 100
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:00 pm
Isobel Bellamy
Manson makes me break out in hives.

Forgive me for being an idoit, but would that be good or bad.
*Has heard someone say tht negitively and positively*
Isobel Bellamy

Is anyone else also giggling from "doomcookie" and "gloomcookie"? Very amusing.

Why, yes.
Yes, I am.  
~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas