Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
"ain't" still is not a word Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Emmanuela

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:33 pm
The senior editors at my mothers work were debating about letting "ain't" be accepted in exams. English exams. I was horrified. My mother was the only one at the table who disagreed with it, of which I am very proud of.

Using "ain't" is slang and should not be used, no matter how common it is used in speech, as otherwise wouldn't we have to allow people to write 'would of" instead of "would have"? I think it's appaling, someone please agree with me!  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:47 pm
I agree wholeheartedly. I think saying "ain't" sounds ignorant and, quite frankly, just plain stupid. I live in the South (thankfully, not for much longer) and people say "ain't" a whole lot. It makes me cringe. stressed  

Xanthos Vengokir

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:34 pm
"Ain't" in exams? What's going to be next, "irregardless"? Come on people, we have standards for a reason! Let's stick to them.

I hate "would of". Every time I see it, it makes me want to douse my head in oil and set myself on fire ala Michael Jackson.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:46 pm
I agree with you, too. Its ridiculous to have "aint" as an acceptable word in tests or exams. D:

Im sorry. I cant use the apostrophe on my keyboard for some reason. D:  

McRabbit

Zealot of Insanity

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:13 pm
Ain't in exams? Yes, there are some words that you could use in informal conversations, but ain't has no place in exams.

*ahem* Do you mean "aka"?  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:43 pm
Yami no Hitokiri
"Ain't" in exams? What's going to be next, "irregardless"? Come on people, we have standards for a reason! Let's stick to them.

I hate "would of". Every time I see it, it makes me want to douse my head in oil and set myself on fire ala Michael Jackson.

My friend did that. I stared at her, horrified. She was freaking out, she did'nt know what she did wrong. She ended up laughing at me... xp  

Red-Chocolate

fyrebrite

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:08 pm
Ain't might be considered slang. But, do have to say I think it's a word. It can be found in a dictionary. Yet, I don't think it should be allowed in formal writing.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:54 pm
I'm from the north and when I moved to Virginia I would cringe everytime I heard "y'all" and "ain't," but now I find myself using "ain't" as well, but I'll still say "you guys" rather than "y'all." I think that words like that are acceptable in everyday speech and informal writing, but for formal speeches and writing, it has no right to be there.  

Sheep Kitchen

Wheezing Ladykiller

DarkElf27

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 12:52 pm
As people have been mentioning, 'ain't' is part of an accent, and should not be part of writing, unless deliberatey trying to imply an accent.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:19 am
Emmanuela
The senior editors at my mothers work were debating about letting "ain't" be accepted in exams. English exams. I was horrified. My mother was the only one at the table who disagreed with it, of which I am very proud of.

Sorry if I'm being rude, sweatdrop but you don't need to put "of which I am proud of". Just "of which I am proud" is all right. biggrin  

Galadedrid Damodred

Kipluck

5,850 Points
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 1:03 am
I remember in elementary school the chant...

Ain't ain't a word
and you ain't s'posed to say it
say Ain't 5 times
and you ain't going to Heaven!

And I think the idea of using it in FORMAL writing abhorant. HOWEVER, Informal, particularly in dialog to show dialect, I think it is just fine. But I don't call it a word...

I call it a contraction. hee hee hee!  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:41 am
"Ain't" shouldn't be written. It's like "gotta". One of those word that should only be said, not written (unless you're Salinger or Hemmingway).  

AnimeKoneko242

AnimeKoneko242

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:42 am
Kipluck

Ain't ain't a word
say Ain't 5 times

And I think the idea of using it in FORMAL writing abhorant. HOWEVER, Informal, particularly in dialog to show dialect, I think it is just fine. But I don't call it a word...

Exactly.

...You actually said that in school? gonk

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:49 am
kagerouyukiko
I agree wholeheartedly. I think saying "ain't" sounds ignorant and, quite frankly, just plain stupid. I live in the South (thankfully, not for much longer) and people say "ain't" a whole lot. It makes me cringe. stressed

I've heard the word "ain't" is used everywhere (North to South). I actually don't think of it as that bad a word. As long as you aren't placing it in formal writing… I know of plenty of well-educated people that slip every once in a while. It's not really an intelligence thing. It's more knowing when to use what language. 3nodding

At least that's what I was taught.

AnimeKoneko242

Kipluck

5,850 Points
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:30 pm
AnimeKoneko242
Kipluck

Ain't ain't a word
say Ain't 5 times

Exactly.

...You actually said that in school? gonk
To be clear, it was students not the teacher. Just like where you flip the heads off dandelions and say "Mama had a baby and her head popped off!"

Kids are really really strange.  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces