Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
That Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:42 pm
"I think that the car is red."

"I think the car is red."

Which is the proper sentence?

This isn't a quiz. I really don't know!  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:10 am
In your example, I think the second one sounds better, and I think the first one sounds better if it's something subjective. For example: "I think that the test was difficult."

However, from Correct English by J.E. Metcalfe and C Astle:
Quote:
"I had no idea that the house was as small as that." (The omission of "that" after "idea" is a permissible colloquialism.)

I take this to mean that both sentences are correct.  

The MoUsY spell-checker

The Man who was Thursday

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:56 am
"That" signals indirect discourse, but it's totally unnecessary, as pointed out above.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:11 am
OK, so I'll leave out the "that" from now on since I'm too lazy to type out extra words. That works for me. mrgreen  

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250

Dystopia Lycanthropia

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:07 pm
I know that this has already been resolved, but both are correct. 3nodding

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:40 pm
Ok, onto the next question.

Which is right, anyway or anyways?

I often say, "Anyways, I've got to be going now. . . "

I'm pretty sure that it's wrong and correct English requires "anyway," but perhaps it's a colloquialism also?  

Alexa488

The Man who was Thursday

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:10 pm
Alexa488
Ok, onto the next question.

Which is right, anyway or anyways?

I often say, "Anyways, I've got to be going now. . . "

I'm pretty sure that it's wrong and correct English requires "anyway," but perhaps it's a colloquialism also?

Quick check of the dictionary reveals "anyways" is nonstandard.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:24 pm
I think that is what my new teacher would refer to as a "five-cent word." I'm in school for journalism and she has told us that any word she can take out of our writing is equal to five cents, figuratively speaking. In most cases; not all.

As for anyway and anyways, it's anyway. Anyways is rather like slang.  

snazy-a-tastic

AwkwardScience

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:07 pm
Okay, then I'd like to try to bring up the age old question of "who v.s. whom." I'm sure there has to be specific cases for each one.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:27 pm
AwkwardScience
Okay, then I'd like to try to bring up the age old question of "who v.s. whom." I'm sure there has to be specific cases for each one.

I belive these are covered in detail in my language lessons, but if not, here you are.

Who - Nominative.
Whom - everything else.

Whom follows prepositions and receives the actions of verbs [unless it's passive.]

Who is only ever used for the subject.

Simple.

The only case where it gets a tiny bit complex is when it's the subject of, for example, an appositive. Eg!

"The cat, who ate the mouse, is now full." - correct!  

The Man who was Thursday

snazy-a-tastic

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:18 pm
AwkwardScience

Easy way to remember:
If you can replace it with "him" use "whom"
If you can relace it with "he" use "who"  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:58 pm
You use "whom" after a preposition. For example, "To whom should I deliver the letter?"
I love correcting people on this, as a sentence should never be ended with a preposition. =P

Dystopia Lycanthropia

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 6:58 pm
I'll admit to using "anyways". Now that I know it's incorrect, I'll try to break the habit.

I like the idea of just memorizing "who" and "he" and "whom" and "him". That will simplify things in the future. Thank you for the idea.

edit: I think I just found an exception to "who/he" and "whom/him"...

When introducing someone, you would say, "This is he/she". The question would be, "This is whom?" or "Whom is this?", wouldn't it? You wouldn't say, "This is who?" or "Who is this?". And you certainly wouldn't say, "This is him/her", correct?  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:09 pm
Yami no Hitokiri
I'll admit to using "anyways". Now that I know it's incorrect, I'll try to break the habit.

I like the idea of just memorizing "who" and "he" and "whom" and "him". That will simplify things in the future. Thank you for the idea.

edit: I think I just found an exception to "who/he" and "whom/him"...

When introducing someone, you would say, "This is he/she". The question would be, "This is whom?" or "Whom is this?", wouldn't it? You wouldn't say, "This is who?" or "Who is this?". And you certainly wouldn't say, "This is him/her", correct?

What kind of drugs are you on? The copula/linking verb always takes nominatives all around. "Who is this?" and "This is who?" are both correct.  

The Man who was Thursday

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:35 am
I'm not on drugs, thank you. I'm just incredibly stupid when it comes to things like "he", "she", "her", "him", and "who" and "whom".

Copula... could that be related to a certain word with naughty implications I'm thinking of? mrgreen  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff