Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Spinning on a drop spindle. Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

kochi~mochi

4,750 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:28 pm
Does anyone here spin? My friend sent a drop spindle home with my sister before leaving for college.... and i'm trying to figure out how to use it right.
If you know of a site with some kind of picture/video instruction, i'd love you forever.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:14 pm
There's a tutorial in the tutorials section, there's also a few web resources out there. Try joyofhandspinning.com and spindlicity for starters smile  

Zahra Ovaci

Lee Kushrenada

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:24 am
that's what I've been learnning this week.
I even made myown spindle, and now I've got about a foot of scarf that is from the yarn that I spun.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:13 am
Lee Kushrenada
I even made myown spindle, and now I've got about a foot of scarf that is from the yarn that I spun.
Thats so totally awesome! Yesterday i started spinning embrodery floss together. sweatdrop It made a nifty shawl for my doll though. whee

Zahra - Thanks, i totally missed that when i was looking in the tutorials. sweatdrop  

kochi~mochi

4,750 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200

Peppermint Elf

Moonlight Warrior

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:12 pm
You might also want to check out ICanSpin.com. They have some helpful videos. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 12:42 am
I hope my tutorial helps! 3nodding

Spinning is a great hobby. heart  

DecemberFlower

2,000 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200

Lee Kushrenada

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 12:42 am
Mikono
Lee Kushrenada
Thats so totally awesome! Yesterday i started spinning embrodery floss together. sweatdrop It made a nifty shawl for my doll though. whee

I woule have never thought to make embrodery thread, though at time's I make the yarn so thin that it might as well be. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:37 pm
I've spun stuff up so thin it's practically thread. My fiance refuses to believe me when I tell him it's yarn. eek  

DecemberFlower

2,000 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200

Bultar

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:23 pm
OH, yes, Yes YEs, YES, YES!!!!!! I have been wanting to spin for so long, but I assumed I'd need a wheel. The last wheel I saw cost 500 dollars. Eh-heh, NO.

Yay!!  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:52 pm
nope...though a weel would speed it up about 30 time's I think...but the spindle is still fun, and really cheep.  

Lee Kushrenada

Rawr 112

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 4:58 pm
I spun once..in the 4th grade. (5 years ago)
I have my drop spindle and want to try again.
I'd have to learn how to...and. Where would I find wool I could spin? Anyone know?  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:16 pm
DecemberFlower
I've spun stuff up so thin it's practically thread. My fiance refuses to believe me when I tell him it's yarn. eek
Have you ever spun it together to make a multi-ply yarn? My friend who gave me her spindel used to, and it turned out cute.

Rawr~ i saw some at my local yarn store, though i don't know if its a standard thing to find... Ebay is a wonderful place where you can find just about anything. whee  

kochi~mochi

4,750 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200

Rawr 112

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 7:16 am
Mikono
Rawr~ i saw some at my local yarn store, though i don't know if its a standard thing to find... Ebay is a wonderful place where you can find just about anything. whee

I've never seen any at my local yarn stores...Though. They're not stores who just sell yarn.
I've been to one of those, but they were really expensive. sweatdrop
I'll check on E-bay though. Thanks. =)  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:05 pm
Lee Kushrenada
nope...though a weel would speed it up about 30 time's I think...but the spindle is still fun, and really cheep.

Don't forget that drop spindles are also highly portable!

Places/times you can do your spinning w/ a drop spindle:

The family reunion
The state or county fair
The annual camping / RV trip
Renaissance Festivals / SCA events (depending on spindle style and color of roving, this could be *highly* period)
While watching TV
A stitch n b***h

Where have you done spinning on a drop spindle?  

cordelya

Zahra Ovaci

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:09 pm
Wheels don't have to be expensive, by the way smile I picked up a Babe DT Production wheel for $175, and I've seen the Babe Fiber Starter for $130!

[checks up on things]
Holy damn! So the sweet little wheel I bought last year? Totally had a price hike since then. Now the Fibers Starters are about $180, which is still good, but it ain't $130 good. Maybe check ebay?  
Craftin'

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff