Reply Fantasy Books Guild
Has anyone here read 'Poison Study'? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

mangosteen

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:52 pm
Gods, if you haven't, you should. I just finished it, and I think it may now be my favorite book (contending with 'the fairy godmother', by mercedes lackey). It's a little predicable, but there are a few twists that caught me by surprise.

It's by... uhm... Maria V. Snyder.

Has anyone else here read it/heard of it? It has a sequel, Magic Study, but I haven't read it yet...  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:18 pm
What's it about?  

Pwale

900 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100

NightIntent
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:55 pm
I think my friend read it, and I've been meaning to read it ever since, because she really liked it. But I don't really want to buy it, and I haven't got the time to go to the library. Is it worth re-reading, though? If it is, I may buy it sometime or other.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:55 pm
OMG! I love heart this book. I read in 2 hrs, I couldn't put it down. Sequal comes out sometime this month, yea!  

Maze353

Questionable Tactician

Rabid Nozomi

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:51 pm
Its ironic that I made a thread for this book in the book forum, which more people access than this guild, and no one posted in it. Lol.

I love this book. I want to read the sequal, but I have to wait for it to come into paperback.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 12:42 pm
Magic Study is the sequal. There is going to be a 3rd book! I think Fire Study is the title.  

Maze353

Questionable Tactician

Rabid Nozomi

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 5:51 pm
Maze353
Magic Study is the sequal. There is going to be a 3rd book! I think Fire Study is the title.
Yep.

Offtopic, but ooh, I hated Mercedes' Lackey's Fairy Godmother, and the sequal. Ew.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:54 pm
Okay, well, I finally read it. It was really good. I read it in less than twenty-four hours. For my current busy schedule, that's pretty quick. One thing kinda bugs me. Isn't Varek like twice Yelena's age? After all, if he was already an experienced assassin before the whole rebellion, and Yelena was like a toddler or something, then he's quite a bit older than she is. And I didn't get the whole mutation thing with Ambrose. Okay, truthfully, I got what it was, just not why they called it a mutation. Ambrose kinda bugs me anyway.  

NightIntent
Captain

Rabid Nozomi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:00 am
NightIntent
Okay, well, I finally read it. It was really good. I read it in less than twenty-four hours. For my current busy schedule, that's pretty quick. One thing kinda bugs me. Isn't Varek like twice Yelena's age? After all, if he was already an experienced assassin before the whole rebellion, and Yelena was like a toddler or something, then he's quite a bit older than she is. And I didn't get the whole mutation thing with Ambrose. Okay, truthfully, I got what it was, just not why they called it a mutation. Ambrose kinda bugs me anyway.
Yeah, that bugged me too. I mean, in the beginning of the book, I imagined Valek as this middle-aged man, maybe 35 years old. I had to change what he looked like in my mind, and it made it seem more "normal" age-wise.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:40 am
Yeah, I pretty much didn't change my mental image of him. He stayed in his mid-thirties throughout the book for me. Yelena kinda changed in my mind as the book progressed, but not much. It's just a bit strange, because, either way, he's twice her age, no matter the mental image.  

NightIntent
Captain

Flitterbye

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:56 pm
I just finished Magic Study and it was awesome. I loved Poison Study but I was skeptical about Snyder's skill in keeping my attention for a second book since I've never read anything by her before. Well she succeeded and now I must know when I can get Fire Study.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:54 pm
I love both those books! I can't wait for the third one to come out!!  

Tarantellatears

thenerdqueen

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:56 pm
My friend lent me her copy of it and I just could not put it down - literally. Despite being in the middle of class, I just had to read the whole thing. However, one thing bugged me. After escaping from the dungeon, and hiding across the way, why do they have sex? I thought that they were supposed to be quiet so that no one would find them.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:05 pm
I was just about to make a thread for these books!

Poison Study was amazing in my opinion, especially for Maria's first book. I was also impressed with Magic Study because it carried over into Sitia, which is a complete one-eighty from Ixia, and so was her atmosphere!

Fire Study is the three book and it comes out in March of 2008 and the fourth Study book, yet untitled comes out in the same year a few months later.

The publishers are spacing Fire Study way over there because they're releasing now paperback copies of Poison and Magic and already have the cover set for Fire.

If you haven't read the first two, I highly recommend that you do because they are worth re-reading over and over again!

Silver Shadow Sinner

AmethystofBlackRose

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:17 am
I love the whole series and keep rereading them. I love the overall themes of the books the were very interesting. I love Janco!  
Fantasy Books Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff