Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
The too-well-used words Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

[-]Battery[+]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:50 am
(Just to let you know there's no typo in the title)

I have often found people say the word 'gay' at my school, and I'm wondering if people have to be so unimaginative. I wish I'd gain a pound (Yes I'm English) for every time someone said the word 'gay', I'd be a very rich person.

But the thing is the word 'gay' doesn't actually mean what it used to, now it's just an insult people throw at every opportunity. But what does it mean?

My guess is that it has three meanings:

1)Happy
2)homosexual (male)
3)Some insult  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:28 am
Yes, I noticed this as well. People in my school and even my friends that don't go to my school, use the word 'gay' all the time.

The only thing gay means anymore, is everything. It's nothing but an insult, and kids need different things to say or something.

"That show is gay."
"Your gay."
"Your mom is gay.."
"Your face is gay."
"That's such a gay thing to say."  

SiCKittie

Dystopia Lycanthropia

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:13 pm
It really shouldn't be used as an insult. I think it just shows ignorance.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:19 pm
Alot of the people I know use it as subsitute for the word "stupid" or "lame".
So I would say it means all of the above.
Or at least at some point it has meant all of those.  

Spoob

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:32 pm
If you call something you don't like "stupid", you're insulting the mentally impaired. If you call it "lame", you're insulting the physically impaired. If you call anything you don't like anything, you're insulting someone. There's no way to win in this PC, overly sensitive world.

your you're  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:15 pm
By what I said "all of the above" I meant what was typed in the original post.

1)Happy
2)homosexual (male)
3)Some insult  

Spoob

Smoozle

Generous Millionaire

7,700 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Megathread 100
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:44 am
As far as I know the word 'Gay' Has three meanings:

1) Happy.
2) Homosexual.
3) Daft.

I don't know why people feel the need to use it as an insult, maybe they are just stupid.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:08 pm
User Image

I think people who use "gay" as an insult are idiots, biggots, and just plain not very pleasant.

User Image

[Oh Johnny]

Dystopia Lycanthropia

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:42 pm
Peanut Butter and jade
User Image

I think people who use "gay" as an insult are idiots, biggots, and just plain not very pleasant.

User Image

I agree entirely. I've seen it used in that way even in this guild. It makes me really angry, as I do have friends who are homosexual.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 3:08 pm
Where i live, there is another "word" over used. Well i wouldn't neccesarily call it a word, because it isn't. IGNIT. I believe it is suppost to be ignorant, but people around here don't seem to find it acceptable to say the whole word.  

she_died_smiling

anime_freak777

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:32 am
That really irks my nerves ,too. Inattimate objects can't be homosexual or happy.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:37 am
A lot of people my age, where I live, also use the word "jawn" all the time. Just use the right word. Like their My Space display names will say "dA jAwN lIsA". The chatspeak is bad enough, but please use the word "girl".  

anime_freak777

DNA_Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:49 am
Call this abstract, but I think you're looking at it in an odd way. The meaning 'gay' has always meant 'happy. Although it has evolved to have the connotation of being 'homosexual' as well. Why can it not have an added meaning of something that is undesirable. It's what the word has evolved into being. It's used in the common vernacular of the younger generation, therefore is it's 'undesirable' meaning not in fact as valid as the others? People understand what one means when you say an object is 'gay'.
I'm not saying it's a pleasant usage, but it is a usage nonetheless and a perfectly valid usage.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:09 pm
Well, around my neck of the woods, the words "d**k" is used far too often. People mainly use it to refer to someone else like "Nah, d**k" and as an insult. People are stupid, it really annoys me (the most cause my name is Richard) when people just go off spouting a word for no apparent reason other then just to fit in.  

CrossCountrySprinter

The Man who was Thursday

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:08 pm
I have a serious issue with the title of this thread.  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff