Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
what is your biggest grammar pet peeve? Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

the regular gatsby

Consumer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 12:01 am
we all have one, so fess up. i'd have to say that my biggest issue is the whole you're/your/their/there/they're thing. stare  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:47 am
One of my big ones is ending a sentence with a preposition. Another that runs along those lines is using "who" and "whom" incorrectly.
..Some of the fingers on my right hand are numb from the cold in here, yet my mom insists that she's still hot. Ugh.

Dystopia Lycanthropia

The Man who was Thursday

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:02 am
Semicolon/comma misuse.
Using apostrophes to make plurals.

I recently applied for a job, and one of the questions read, "Although it would take a lot to upset most people; what would upset you?"

I drew an arrow to the semicolon.

I don't think I'll be getting that job. :(  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 5:04 pm
My biggest one is the its and it's. whee I always mess them up.

I have to say the sentence out loud before I can make sure.

McRabbit

The MoUsY spell-checker

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:12 pm
Ezra Pound
Semicolon/comma misuse.
Using apostrophes to make plurals.

I recently applied for a job, and one of the questions read, "Although it would take a lot to upset most people; what would upset you?"

I drew an arrow to the semicolon.

I don't think I'll be getting that job. :(

Now that's a sure sign that you're obsessed with good grammar. xd

I find misplaced apostrophes the most annoying because they're so common. gonk  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:46 am
I must admit that I am not to good with the whole apostrophe thing... And am also not always sure if I have used the write to/too/two! I'm always worried that someone will correct me. But if you see I put the wrong 'to' please tell me!  

Smoozle

Generous Millionaire

7,700 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Megathread 100

Silver and Silence

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:08 am
when people type "alot", replace 'you' and 'are' with "u" and "r", any sort of ghetto speak ["dis", "thys"], and when people use long vowels ["yooooooooooooo" or "okkkkkkkkkkkkk"].  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:59 am
Smoozle
I must admit that I am not to good with the whole apostrophe thing... And am also not always sure if I have used the write to/too/two! I'm always worried that someone will correct me. But if you see I put the wrong 'to' please tell me!

the "right" to/too/two.

too = also.

two = a number.

pretty much any other use = to.  

The Man who was Thursday

[-]Battery[+]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:04 am
I really dislike it when people write like this:

I rllyh8itwenpeepswrit lyke this!!!1!11!1

Also when people do endless punctuation marks. The most you should do at one time is 3!
And even that's a punctuation mark! ( ... )

Also when people exagerate words, when speaking, and say really Jane Normany things.

e.g. Oh. My. GAAAWD! talk2hand

Note: Jane Normans are people who go around with mini skirts an dlove fashion and shopping and are really girly. They hate strange people and copy each other. You can usually tell a Jane Norman by their bag. If it has 'Jane Norm' or 'Jane Norman' they're a Jane Norman, and it's best for most to stay away... eek  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:28 am
Smoozle

This should be "too."
3nodding

Dystopia Lycanthropia

Dystopia Lycanthropia

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:31 am
The MoUsY spell-checker

Ah... I forgot about that one. whee
Yep. It really, really bothers me.

Another thing is TEACHERS who are CONSTANTLY making spelling/grammar mistakes. A couple of times before, I have actually gone up to the white board and fixed the word/words my WRITING teacher cannot spell right!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:27 am
Odehimae
we all have one, so fess up. i'd have to say that my biggest issue is the whole you're/your/their/there/they're thing. stare
Me too. Also with where/were/we're. I'm RPing with someone in PM and he had "Where---", I just had to fix it to "We're" for him.  

dark_elf

The MoUsY spell-checker

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:55 pm
Messenger_Of_The_Moon
The MoUsY spell-checker

Ah... I forgot about that one. whee
Yep. It really, really bothers me.

Another thing is TEACHERS who are CONSTANTLY making spelling/grammar mistakes. A couple of times before, I have actually gone up to the white board and fixed the word/words my WRITING teacher cannot spell right!

I agree. I had a chemistry teacher who often wrote notes that didn't make sense because of misplaced words. (It didn't help that his handwriting was often illegible too, but that's a different story.) Luckily, I knew most of the content anyway, so I could easily guess what's supposed to be there.

I also had a teacher who used a misplaced apostrophe despite the fact that I've been talking to him about apostrophes on the day before. (We had a lot of free time during roll call, and most people don't talk to this teacher so he's a captive audience. I think he actually started it by picking on something on a printed notice, and then I started picking on the apostrophes on another notice.)  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:18 pm
Ezra Pound
Smoozle

the "right" to/too/two.

too = also.

two = a number.

pretty much any other use = to.

Thankyou! This really helps!  

Smoozle

Generous Millionaire

7,700 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Megathread 100

Goth_chi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:24 pm
To, Too, Two, and 2
I cant believe how many highschool and college aged kids don't know how to properly use those... I almost always point out when they put to insead of too... then i explain and usually get a 'you're a moron' look thrown in my direction.  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff