Reply ~ Main Forum ~
Corsets Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

MortSanglant

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:26 am
This thread is for those of us who wear corsets - be it seriously or casually, in which case would refer to those with the boning and the form but without the waist training.

And I mean corsets, NOT bustiers. Many people erroneously consider them the same thing. Both serve form fitting purposes, but corsets are - for the most part - more serious.

Example of a bustier

I am by no means an expert on wearing corsets.

I do have one that I would classify as a costume corset. It has stays and boning, but putting it on is as simple as fastening hooks down the front.

Here's a visual:

User Image

Anyway, my main purpose for this thread was to discuss a problem I've had in wearing mine. It likes to shift. I don't know if it's due to it not being tight enough or my anatomy. I have off centre ribs that I feel might contribute to that shifting. This off centredness is felt and seen mainly in the back of my "hourglass", it's not visible from the front. And my corset likes to ride up on one side so it looks lopsided.

It's quite irksome as I don't want to have to fix it all the time. I was wondering if anyone who is more experienced in wearing corsets - though mine surely doesn't classify as an experienced corset - might know any tips or if I'm just cursed with a body not suited for it.

Aside from that, feel free to discuss feelings toward corsets, if you have any, experience in wearing them, etc...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:54 am
Actually, a friend is making a male corset for me. If I like it, I'll post pics later.
Sadly, I cannot help you with your issue. crying  

Athiel

Exquisite Cadavre

1,750 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Autobiographer 200
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:42 pm
Mine shifts too...~rolls eyes~
I don't know why either...

It might have something to do with the actually tying of the corset.
I've had different people tie mine and once it didn't shift at all.

Mm try retying it. xD

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:03 pm
just try retying it tighter, or the style of it might not be the right style or shape for your body type...  

xdemonicallyxyours13x

TheWitchGotRobin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:23 pm
I heart them big bunches.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:16 pm
Just to say this now, that's not a bustier. While I agree that corsets and bustiers are often confused and different, your example isn't correct.

A corset either gives the hourglass figure on a woman or push the hips and breast down so their are straight up and down, so it is often very tightfitting and stiff. The purpose of both styles of corsets are so the person appears thinner.

The purpose of a bustier is to make the bust (AKA breast) look larger, hence the name. Often times traditional bustiers are corseted for extra support, but not always. There are bustiers from now that appear more like a bra.

Traditionally, bustiers and corsets are both undergarments.

What you gave as an example is simply a top in a corseted fashion. That does not make it a corset, just that it is similar.

To tell the basic difference to see I am telling the truth can be found at these links:
Bustiers
Corsets
Yes, it's an online dictionary.

Also, I wouldn't get to used to those corsets. There was a case in the recent past where a woman wore corsets for much of her life so she could appear thinner in the waist. After years of wearing corsets, including sleeping in them (wierd), she became adapted to it. However, this soon became a problem. She becames so used to these corsets where she'd only take them off for minutes to change them (once a week, I believe), that her spine became unable to support her body without the help of a corset. If she ever took it off again, her spine would would twist and than break under the pressure (doesn't matter what angle she is at).

There are very similar cases like that in an African tribe that have been common for centuries. I won't get into that, though, because it is off subject.

As for your problems with the corset, it could be fitted wrong (simply buying one from a store with right size doesn't guarantee a correct fitting), you could be moving too much, or both. In traditional corsets, the women couldn't move because of the stiffness which could over-exhaust them when they tried. Considering most corsets now aren't made with anywhere near the same quality, it's not hard to imagine it won't stay still when you move or slouch when sitting.

Personally, I do like corsets, I just don't like to wear them all that often. My favorite ones are the kind that don't cover the bust at all.

Obviously, ignorance like confusing a bustier and a corset does bug me. You, like many, just seem to be misinformed. At least you knew that something with ribbon on it like a corset isn't one at all.  

Dirzdra

MortSanglant

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:51 pm
The picture I used wasn't the best. I had edited it a long time ago making colour adjustments that take away from any enhancement added - the picture has a more 2D quality to it now - , but it is in fact a bustier - Victoria's Secret no less.

whee

I do know what you're referring to as well with the ribbon thing. There are a ton of these corset inspired fashions in Hot Topic and other commercialized locations. It gets my goat to no end when I hear a girl refer to it as a corset.

gonk

And I don't believe I left out my qualifier for the corset I have now. I know it's not a real corset, I specified that. It's more for show and doesn't serve the purpose that traditional corsets did.

It does work with posture, however - which was part of what corsets were to help with.

A cincher is what you were referring to at the end, the corset that only covers your midtorso region. Depending on the contours of the upper line of the corset, it could be an underbust as well.

And to reply to your comment on not getting used to actual corsets that shape your waist, I wouldn't ever consider wearing corsets on a serious level. I've never heard of these cases to which you are referring, but the prolonged compacting of your midsection is dangerous for your inner organs.

Might I add, that the degree to which some of the corsets are tightened is sickening.

Example

Gross.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:22 pm
MortSanglant
The picture I used wasn't the best. I had edited it a long time ago making colour adjustments that take away from any enhancement added - the picture has a more 2D quality to it now - , but it is in fact a bustier - Victoria's Secret no less.

whee

I do know what you're referring to as well with the ribbon thing. There are a ton of these corset inspired fashions in Hot Topic and other commercialized locations. It gets my goat to no end when I hear a girl refer to it as a corset.

gonk

And I don't believe I left out my qualifier for the corset I have now. I know it's not a real corset, I specified that. It's more for show and doesn't serve the purpose that traditional corsets did.

It does work with posture, however - which was part of what corsets were to help with.

A cincher is what you were referring to at the end, the corset that only covers your midtorso region. Depending on the contours of the upper line of the corset, it could be an underbust as well.

And to reply to your comment on not getting used to actual corsets that shape your waist, I wouldn't ever consider wearing corsets on a serious level. I've never heard of these cases to which you are referring, but the prolonged compacting of your midsection is dangerous for your inner organs.

Might I add, that the degree to which some of the corsets are tightened is sickening.

Example

Gross.

eek yeah yucky.... where are her organs situated in that body anyways??? sad  

xdemonicallyxyours13x

-Resurrected Writer-
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:31 pm
MortSanglant

Example

Gross.

eek There is no way in hell that that woman is able to breathe.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:51 pm
thats seriously gross it makes me want to cry.... [but not seriusly becuase i don't cry. so while i htink of that poor womans insides i will die a lillte more than usual inside]  

xdemonicallyxyours13x

Gothic_Kitty103

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:56 pm
MortSanglant

Example

Gross.

And you wonder why women back then fainted so much??...  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:27 pm
Yeah, from the appearance, the picture looks like just a top and a ribbon.

Thank you with the name! 3nodding I always end up forgetting it.

The case I was just talking about I have seen on Guinness World Records (the show when it was on years ago) as well as Ripley's Believe It or Not. It may be in the record book, but I am unsure.

The case with necks where the situation is very similar in Africa is in the Guinness World Book of Records 2000, I know that for sure. They just put rings on the necks of newborn females. These women grow up with them and become so dependent on this added support that, if taken away, their heads will fall and the spinal cord will break.

Ewwww, that picture is sooooo gross. *shivers* Part of me thinks that picture may be fake, but, still, with even the thought of it being to that much of an extreme as a possibility.

Well, it was nice talking to you and clarifying some things. I'm very glad you didn't BS the conversation like some people tend to do.  

Dirzdra

MortSanglant

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:16 pm
Kitsune-Yokai

Ewwww, that picture is sooooo gross. *shivers* Part of me thinks that picture may be fake, but, still, with even the thought of it being to that much of an extreme as a possibility.

I can assure you it's real only based on the fact that there a many more like it.

Considering they are all from different sources I would find it hard to believe that they are all altered somehow.

Frightening, n'est pas?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:27 pm
User Image

I only have four.  

Gothic~Elmo

SaiBlackNight

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:47 pm
omg! MortSanglant i have the same skirt as the one you have in your pictures.

I myself am working on getting a few myself. Being a poor college student however...it's a little difficlut. >_<

~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff