Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
I'm getting a bit frustrated with certain things in here.... Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

*Growls*
o.o
100%
 100%  [ 23 ]
Total Votes : 23

Dystopia Lycanthropia

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:40 am
Several times recently, I have noticed certain people in this guild using words, two, specifically, that I have noticed, in a derrogatory and insulting manner, though that is not the words' purpose.
The two main words are "gay" and "Satanic."
I have friends who are homosexual, and I have a friend who's Satanic. Satanists are not bad people, and the Satanic Bible is quite interesting. [NOTE: The first person who tries to drag religion into this and start calling Satanism "evil" is going to go on my hit list... I am not trying to be religious. I'm only trying to make a statement.] In addition, homosexuality is not something that needs to be used in a negative context.
Got it??

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:15 pm
Yeah, free speech is a major b***h like that.  

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250

The Man who was Thursday

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:14 pm
Quite frankly, I find your political correctness satanic, gay, and downright offensive.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:30 pm
yea  

L-i-m-e-l o l i i p o p

Smoozle

Generous Millionaire

7,700 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Megathread 100
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:21 pm
I agree with you! I find it quite annoying when people use these words in a insulting manner! Who cares if you are a homosexual? It's just a way of life. And anyway the true meaning of 'Gay' is Happy!  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:43 pm
Sorry, but I'm not about to start banning the use of certain words just because people find them offensive. If enough people find them offensive, Gaia will eventually ban them anyway, I'm certain. Until that day happens, I value free expression and speech over making certain no one is offended.  

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250

DarkElf27

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:59 pm
I'm about as politically incorrect as you get. This guild is about the preservation of English as it's uses in speech, so I'm not about to start banning people over word choice, especially when the dictionary itself proves that they are right. I won't support a dystopian guild where everyone has to walk on eggshells for fear of saying something offensive.

For example, you referred to yourself as a Grammar Nazi. Should I be insulted that you think being a Nazi of any sort is a good thing? Probably. Am I complaining? No.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:49 am
Ezra Pound
Quite frankly, I find your political correctness satanic, gay, and downright offensive.

Okay, that was just stupid.

Along the lines of the first post, yea, it may annoy you, but there's not much you can do to stop it. You just have to cross your fingers, hope someone will catch on, and just ignore it until then. I'm sure no one MEANS offense, it's just the screwed up world we live in.  

Kuro Yoake

Roy_Mustang_Is_Hot_Stuff

Eloquent Elder

12,800 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Megathread 100
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:26 pm
Messenger_Of_The_Moon
Several times recently, I have noticed certain people in this guild using words, two, specifically, that I have noticed, in a derrogatory and insulting manner, though that is not the words' purpose.
The two main words are "gay" and "Satanic."
I have friends who are homosexual, and I have a friend who's Satanic. Satanists are not bad people, and the Satanic Bible is quite interesting. [NOTE: The first person who tries to drag religion into this and start calling Satanism "evil" is going to go on my hit list... I am not trying to be religious. I'm only trying to make a statement.] In addition, homosexuality is not something that needs to be used in a negative context.
Got it??

Quite frankly, I've had it up to here (holds flat open hand up to top of head) with people telling me what I should think about unintegral people attempting to inflict their sexual orientation or religion or lack of religion on me or telling me exactly what I should think about these practices. The media does this with great regularity.

The fact is, gay or satanic are adjectives used to describe certain persons who engage in these practices. So what? Now they want to feel insulted by any person who is not readily identified with their clique using such words to describe them this way, when they describe themselves this way. I'm with DarkElf and Yami...free speech, already.

And, by the way, I'm a Christian and a heterosexual. Do you even care if I become offended at the derrogatory comments often made toward me personally or the group(s) I'm affiliated with? Flame away if you absolutely cannot contain yourself.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:31 am
Amoungst my offline friends I redily use the word gay to poke fun- this is because there are no gay people around to offend, and we understand it to not actually mean "ew your gay!". However at work and online, where I am surounded by strangers, I never use the word gay other than to mean homosexual (and not in a derogatory way)- because it is quite possible that I will hurt some ones feelings.

Freedom of speech isn't just about mouthing off about whatever you feel like, or childishly poking fun at the groups who I feel poke fun at me. It's about being able to make an informed choice about what you say. Perhaps ceartain people shouldn't use 'free speech' as an excuse to make every word into a childish protest against some undefined 'man', otherwise when you do say something of importance-who will notice?  

WarKitty

The Man who was Thursday

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:43 am
Kuro Yoake
Ezra Pound

Okay, that was just stupid.

Along the lines of the first post, yea, it may annoy you, but there's not much you can do to stop it. You just have to cross your fingers, hope someone will catch on, and just ignore it until then. I'm sure no one MEANS offense, it's just the screwed up world we live in.

I will quote the great Lewis Carroll:

'When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty said, in a rather scornful tone,' it means just what I choose it to mean, neither more nor less.'  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:28 am
WarKitty
Amoungst my offline friends I redily use the word gay to poke fun- this is because there are no gay people around to offend, and we understand it to not actually mean "ew your gay!". However at work and online, where I am surounded by strangers, I never use the word gay other than to mean homosexual (and not in a derogatory way)- because it is quite possible that I will hurt some ones feelings.

Freedom of speech isn't just about mouthing off about whatever you feel like, or childishly poking fun at the groups who I feel poke fun at me. It's about being able to make an informed choice about what you say. Perhaps ceartain people shouldn't use 'free speech' as an excuse to make every word into a childish protest against some undefined 'man', otherwise when you do say something of importance-who will notice?

Agreed, as long as this consideration for others works both ways. Free speech should not be only for one or two noisy liberal group(s), but for all people.  

Roy_Mustang_Is_Hot_Stuff

Eloquent Elder

12,800 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Megathread 100

Goth_chi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:21 pm
I do use the term "gay" in a negative way sometimes... and I have quite a few Homosexual and Bisexual friends. When someone gets offended by the way I have used it I tell them this:

I know Gay originally meant happy, But now means Homosexual. Another slang term for Homosexual/gay these days is "queer"... Queer means odd... So when So when i say that something is Gay I am inturn saying that that particular thing is Odd.

^.^ That usually shuts people up. I know what the words mean and I will continue to use them in my weird way... it's like a word association.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:19 pm
While I strongly agree with you on the use of the word "gay", I must protest your complaint on the word "satanic". If you are going to lecure people about mis-using a word, please, for the sake of all intelligence, look up the definition of the word, before you decide that it means something. Please, go get a dictionary, and look up the word "satanic", or better yet, you can simply click the link that I just provided. Yes, I was smart enough to actually find the real meaning of the word before I decided to shoot people down for incorrect use.  

The_Wrench_Ninja

Gachetemas

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:32 pm
And Satan is not to be confused with satin! They have completely different meanings.  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff