Reply ~ Main Forum ~
I need a bit of advice Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

reicheru343

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:55 pm
To say the truth, I still am in middle school. But luckily I'm in 8th grade. I've been starting to wear alot of black lately, and everyone I know is asking whether or not I'm gothic, but Idk what to say. I feel like if I say yes, they'll think I'm some gay lesbian for wanting to be gothic and they will not 'like' me anymore. Please, I want serious answers on this. What exactly should I say/do? Yes, I know...this is a very cheesy topic.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:20 pm
Well unfortunately people in this age will be people. I think that it is especially difficult to establish an identity in grade school that is not really accepted by a majority of the students. However, I think that if people are truly your friends, they shouldn't care about what you are, or suddenly stop liking you because you believe you are gothic.

There is an ongoing debate as to what "goth" actually is, as most people think of the ever so popular stereotypes right away. If you find yourself engulfed in the gothic subculture, find extreme interest in many of the topics discussed here, etc. then you may consider calling yourself gothic. However, I, nor anyone else, can truly say what you are. It is you who must take a minute to look at yourself and truly think about it.

In order for stereotypes to be cleared up, and for minorities to be accepted at my old school, I helped educate everyone about what being gothic is in my, and many others I am sure, opinion. Though some people will more often than not keep their opinion, it is easier to accept something that you understand. If you think wearing black is the only thing that makes you goth then I would truthfully say "No."

"You are who you choose to be." I hope this helped a little bit, but overall I'm just trying to say that people should like you for you and not someone you aren't.  

Acerbus nox noctis

Mz.Wiggles

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:25 pm
You're a kindergoth.
You are a poser goth I'm sorry to say.
If you don't want to tell them you are for those reasons don't say your goth.
Learn that the stereotype of goth doesn't make you a goth.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:31 pm
I don't think it's cheesy. It can be difficult to explain why you've chosen to do something a little outside the mainstream. But what I'd suggest is telling them you just wear black because you feel like it. Instead of defining yourself as goth (or not goth), just show them that you're the same person though your taste in clothes has got a little darker. That way they'll be less likely to tease or misjudge.

That's what I did and it worked for me, so I hope it'll work for others too. Best of luck with the old friends and new wardrobe! heart  

Veruniel
Crew

MortSanglant

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:34 pm
It's a favourite question posed by those who aren't of the gothic mindset or knowledgable of the topic: "Are you goth?"

It's something unknown to them.

For me, when asked that question I normally respond with a laugh and simply, "If you say so."

Personally, I don't call myself a goth. But I use the term when necessary. There are many people out there who would call me goth. I let them; it doesn't bother me.

This is really something that you're going to have to develop an answer for on your own because it's an issue dealing with how you identify yourself.

It's really hard to give advice when personally I don't care about what people think at all.

Like what Noctis said, if people are your true friends, it won't really matter to them if you are goth or not.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:55 pm
reicheru343
To say the truth, I still am in middle school. But luckily I'm in 8th grade. I've been starting to wear alot of black lately, and everyone I know is asking whether or not I'm gothic, but Idk what to say. I feel like if I say yes, they'll think I'm some gay lesbian for wanting to be gothic and they will not 'like' me anymore. Please, I want serious answers on this. What exactly should I say/do? Yes, I know...this is a very cheesy topic.

just say "get outta my face or ill hit u!!" or "i just like black so deal"  

chinagrl777

MortSanglant

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:14 pm
chinagrl777
reicheru343

just say "get outta my face or ill hit u!!" or "i just like black so deal"

That's not very constructive.

Nor would it contribute in any positive way to the bad rep goths, as a whole, already have.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:19 pm
just be yourself and do what you feel is right for you. if people can't accept you the way you are, tell them to go do a chicken. or threatn to bite them. thats always a fun one. xd  

Corpse_Bride_131

GilAskan
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:38 pm
Simply put, goth isn't defined by fashion.

Although there is an ongoing debate on "what is goth", it's widely agreed upon that fashion preference is not a factor of "making someone goth". While many goths have similar tastes in fashion, it isn't criteria, so to speak.

Because of this, if someone asks "You wear a lot of black. Are you a goth?", answer truthfully on whether or not you are a goth, and finish up with "But how someone dresses has nothing to do with it,".  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:12 am
its human nature to be scared of something you don't know about  

xdemonicallyxyours13x

MysteryCross

1,100 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:22 am
Exactly! How does "black" define us as being bi or gay in any way?? 0o?! Most ppl think I worship the devil or am evil, but that has nothing to do with being gothic!?!? >_< Tell them to either get over it, or jus ignore them......  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:27 am
yerag people are stupid animals that just know right from wrong but are scared to make that judgement  

xdemonicallyxyours13x

Dearest Darling`

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:33 am
User Image

You should tell then that even if you start dressing in a diffrent way it doesn't mean that you're becoming a diffrent person.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:23 pm
Just be your self,if your friends don't want to accept you than there not really your friends....... I am in 8th grade too,so I know it can be hard sometimes.....  

chickajasmine

xdemonicallyxyours13x

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:28 pm
yeah...  
~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items