Reply Memorable Threads
Discussion: Over Priced Donation Items Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Jibo Phoenix

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 11:22 am
I was in the Exchange today selling some little things I didn't need. I noticed that alot of people were selling their OMG and wanting AFK. I took a look curious to see what they wanted. They were asking for an AFK plus 50K for an OMG. The amazing thing about this is that in EVIL, the OMG and AFk have the same starting value at 750K andthe OMG only has a 30K upper value advantage on the AFK. I know the price guides aren't always right, but trying to gouge 20K extra out of someone for an item released the same month seems like the kind of stuff that is ruining the Gaian Commerce.

Discuss.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 11:38 am
That's ridiculous. They're from the same month, I wouldn't expect any more than 5K, which is still quite a lot! ): Some people are just greedy, and when one person get's away with that, everyone can.  

laFred

Jibo Phoenix

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 11:51 am
laFred
That's ridiculous. They're from the same month, I wouldn't expect any more than 5K, which is still quite a lot! ): Some people are just greedy, and when one person get's away with that, everyone can.
Exactly. I think I saw one person offer it for trade at that price and within 10 minutes, 2 others popped up at the same price. People are going to take advantage of that by gaining 20K profit in the Exchange, then selling it higher in the marketplace. Thus the influx of bad pricing.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 11:53 am
Awhile ago the AFK was being sold for more... confused

And yeah, people are greedy.  

[waffles]

Dedicated Loiterer

7,300 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Millionaire 200

aisuakuma

Thirteenth Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 12:20 pm
Another point is when the donation items come out starting at 6-7k. When I got my Steel-plated Ninja band it was only 3k. I think that stuff on gaia is become way to close to the real world and its kinda freaky and annoying. For example gas prices they were cheap but not its outragous. there's a supurb connection between the rich in real life are rich on gaia poor are poor and the medium are in the middle. I mean they all start out the same but become what they really are and its just freaky.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 12:43 pm
aisuakuma
Another point is when the donation items come out starting at 6-7k. When I got my Steel-plated Ninja band it was only 3k. I think that stuff on gaia is become way to close to the real world and its kinda freaky and annoying. For example gas prices they were cheap but not its outragous. there's a supurb connection between the rich in real life are rich on gaia poor are poor and the medium are in the middle. I mean they all start out the same but become what they really are and its just freaky.
Luckly on Gaia everyone starts out equal, not always the case in real life.

But I noticed that the price of sealed letter is getting unreal, considering some sell for less then 6-7K after they are opened if the item is crappy. I don't see why the price of sealed letters would rise over the months considering that current letters are more abundant then the past.  

Jibo Phoenix

Dorg Endo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 6:16 pm
The whole state of non-store items is in a sad place. A very sad place.

There isnt really anything wrong with people trying to make a profit off an item, but here on Gaia there is absolutely no way to control the powerful and wealthy. IRL if someone had set up a monopoly theres a good chance they would be arrested and delt with. Or with the stock exchange insider trading is illegal and heavially punished. But people who do simular things on Gaia have no way to control this...its unstoppable.

Thus it sucks.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 10:18 pm
I sold my OMG for 800k. I was a bit surprised to get such a high amount for it, but if people are willing to pay, then I guess it's fine. The reason people are demanding so much for an OMG-AFK trade is because when they were released, more people got AFK's. It's the same with the devil's tail and angelic sash - there are more sashes than tails, therefore tails are in more demand.

The cheapest current month's donation item I've bought this year is 5k. I got that from Dark Prinz' vend, becuase it was possibly the most realistic price for a current month donation letter you'd ever see nowadays. I remember that the june letters last year were grossly overpriced, and I do believe that's when people decided to take advantage of such a hot item.

it all comes down to greed in the end- people are turning to donating and selling for a disgustingly high profit inorder to fufill quests for higher-priced items, such as the '03 and early '04 donation items, '03 event items and even fairy wings.  

Protocol Rain

Business Businessman

laFred

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 12:11 am
That's why I stick with store items. I don't like the Exchange, because you have to be so careful with your pricing or either no one buys your junk or you get ripped off.

One time I went in there to sell some things, and so I checked the G.E.N. and I got the mid. estimate on an item. It sold super fast, and right after some one posted telling me that I could've sold it for about 1K more. ):

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:09 am
...it bugs the hell outta me... I offered someone a choice of my anklets or my laurels (plus gold) for a chain wallet, thinking they were about the same... but it turns out that my anklets were worth a lot more, so I lost 'em without knowing how hard it'd be to get 'em back.

Gah.  

Lucca Ashtear

A Kid Called Jenny

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:52 am
Its riddiculos but gaia is getting greedy and since its getting greedy people have to charge more so they can buy the stuff they want from greedy people and it goes on and on  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:34 am
laFred
That's why I stick with store items. I don't like the Exchange, because you have to be so careful with your pricing or either no one buys your junk or you get ripped off.

One time I went in there to sell some things, and so I checked the G.E.N. and I got the mid. estimate on an item. It sold super fast, and right after some one posted telling me that I could've sold it for about 1K more. ):
THAT! that right there is the reason why all items are as expensive as they are. it's not the greed of the sellers but the greed of the buyers. a rule of thumb i learned in the Exchange and the Marketplace is that the buyer always gets screwed because they're always willing to pay more than what the item's worth (they're willing to be screwed for the sake of having their item). like when I use to make letter sales I'd always sell them for 3k a piece, it was a principal thing I never oversold them. yet I'd still get people rolling into my thread saying they'd pay 4-5k for a letter when I was obviously selling for less. they just wanted to secure their letter and made sure they had it NOW. that's the mentality of all buyers really, they want that item and they're ready to get it now, so they'll pay extra.

then sellers, they look at the buyers spending too much and go, "well i don't wanna get screwed here, i wanna sell my item for what people are willing to buy it at." even noble people like LaFred will want to tack on that extra 1k so that they don't feel ripped off. little do they know this is adding to this problem EVERYONE COMPLAINS ABOUT EVERYDAY SINCE THE EXCHANGE'S INCEPTION!

who complains the most though? the buyer. well ******** you kids, really. i'm so tired of this complaint as in the end we all know that there's nothing we can do about it. people tried petitioning to the Admins but they all say that so far this is the best system we got. they're thinking about solutions, but not really as they got other things to do. so suck it up, quest a little longer, beg a little harder and pay a little extra for the items you want so badly.

that is to say that i'm not ignoring the greed of sellers who jack up prices and try making shifty profits but i see them significantly less than the problem i just illustraited.  

plan|face

Businesswoman

Crawlerette

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 12:45 pm
Lucca Ashtear
...it bugs the hell outta me... I offered someone a choice of my anklets or my laurels (plus gold) for a chain wallet, thinking they were about the same... but it turns out that my anklets were worth a lot more, so I lost 'em without knowing how hard it'd be to get 'em back.

Gah.

Aww. *pat pat* You can borrow mine, if you wish. I won't be using them until I get another Nazi outfit going. domokun  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 2:56 pm
Yeah, thats just the problem. I would never have bought or sold letters before they are unsealed for more then 3k. But I saw people trying to sell them at 10k, and then a bunch of other threads cropped up with people asking for 10k, of course those who wont donate want those items so they spork up the money forgeting that 90% of the time the items that come out of them are crap, which seams to be changing now.  

Demonic Expert

Crawlerette

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 8:40 pm
Demonic Expert
Yeah, thats just the problem. I would never have bought or sold letters before they are unsealed for more then 3k. But I saw people trying to sell them at 10k, and then a bunch of other threads cropped up with people asking for 10k, of course those who wont donate want those items so they spork up the money forgeting that 90% of the time the items that come out of them are crap, which seams to be changing now.

I hate to be off-topic and a geek but... Terran Empire sig! *points, falls over and twitches*  
Memorable Threads

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff