Reply ~ Main Forum ~
I have noticed something that disturbs me Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Omega_Dragoon_Wolff

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 6:03 pm
I don't know if anyone else accross the country has noticed this, but something that is greatly disturbing me here.

When I first entered High School, 2 yrs ago, the goths, to me, seemed to be ordinary people who dress darker and intelctuals. Now I don't consider myself a full goth (you may ask why I'm here) but I got along with the ones in the schools because I could give an inteligent conversation.

At the beginning of this school year I noticed that the freashmen and transfer students who dub themselfs goth, seem to have nothing between they're ears. But there is the occasional one who seem to fit the bill of goth, at least to the school's goth population standard (maybe thats a bad term).

Now tell me this, is there an ebb and flow to the goth culture, or is it that kids who don't know anything trying to expand into territory that makes them look cool.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 6:27 pm
You have had an encounter with mallcore, or more accurately, mallgoths.

99.9% of teens who claim to be goth are, in fact, mallcore or mallgoths.

GilAskan
Mallgoth (n., adj.):

1. (n.) A member of the mallcore who falsely associates themselves with the goth culture
2. (adj.) Describing a mallgoth or things liked by them.

Mallgoths tend to [note: these are characteristics that mallgoths tend to have, but having one or many of these traits does not essentially make you a mallgoth]:

-Wear almost nothing but Hot Topic Clothes
-Wear Tripp Bondage Pants
-Wear ridiculous amounts of wrist-bands
-Wear ONLY black
-Write in black sharpie words like "death" and "pain" over any white area of clothing
-Try to get attention, but claim they aren't [trying to get attention]
-Claim to be goth, but don't actually know what goth is
-Are angsty
-Claim to be "More goth"
-Instantly hate anyone who isn't mallcore
-Claim to be artistically inclined, though, typically only say this to fit in with the art crowd
-Claim to be against labels, but use labels themselves
-Spend a lot of time at the mall, annoying people or wasting time
-Purposefully scare non-goths
-Call members of the real goth culture "posers"
-Listen to bands such as (but not limited to): Marilyn Manson, Evanescence, koRn, Slipknot, My Chemical Romance, Aiden, Cradle of Filth, and AFI
-Regularly wear band logo shirts
-Wear shirts that say "I'm a Goth" or "GOTH"
-Wear too much make-up, typically which is over exaggerated
-Are undyingly obsessed with Marilyn Manson, Gerard Way, Dany Filth, or such other figures
-Are pointlessly rebellious (i.e. against ANYTHING that's AT ALL popular)
-Claim to be bisexual (but tend to be straight, only claiming to be bisexual for attention)
-Wear too much jewelry, which tends to be low quality

These are some common traits.

Other terms for mallgoths:

Mallcore (more broad term, including mallcore-emo and mallcore-punk)
Gloomcookie (mallgoth which wears Hot Topic or such brand clothes exclusively; see picture in second post)
Doomcookie (mallgoth who wears too much makeup, typically in the style of Cradle of Filth members, Marilyn Manson, or the Crow)
M&M (see "Mansonite")
Skingoth (vain teenagers obsessed singularly with the goth image)
Kindergoth (immature teenagers who choose to be "goth" in an vain attempt to rebel)
Mansonite (term specifically referring to mallgoth who are obsessed with Marilyn Manson)
Gruftie (German slang for what we now know as mallgoth; originally referred to legitimate goths, but the actual word "goth" grew more popular)
Cucaracha (Spanish slang for mallgoths)
Nos (French slang for mallgoth, short for "Nosferatu". A shirt with the word "Nosferatu" grew very popular amongst french mallgoths)

If you're still in high-school, I have even my doubts about whether or not the people you have met are goths. Some schools will, on occassion, have a small group of legitimate goths, but it's not widely common.

The goth culture has stayed pretty solid in it's 27 years on this planet, but the mallgoth population is rapidly growing. Many teenagers (now with Hot Topic making such fashions and styles accessible) try to fit the goth style as a way to rebel, or because they want to be unique, however, the majority of them have no idea what the real goth culture consists of.  

GilAskan
Crew

-Isel-

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 6:34 pm
GilAskan, I see that quote reflecting a scarily large amount of people in this guild.

Then again, that's what makes the guild beautiful, is that we've got a blend of for-reals and wannabes... just don't let the wannabes take over, then you end up with something like the Emo Guild.

As it turns out, we've got a few people at my school who fit the bill of goth easily but never realize it because they don't really bother with that kind of thing.

According to some, I look like a mallgoth. Now, my reaction to that is a simple "Okay" because I know personally that I'm not- I've never set foot in a Hot Topic.

... I've never even seen a Hot Topic.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 6:44 pm
..... im smart!.... i hope. crying  

The Reused

Omega_Dragoon_Wolff

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 7:07 pm
There is a population of true goths in the school, but it is dwindling, 5 of them are seinors this year, there are 3 in 11th and andrew in tenth but thats about it. I think Goth is dieing out in Brashear, its turning Emo Gangster. now that is a scary thought.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 7:50 pm
Omega_Dragoon_Wolff
There is a population of true goths in the school, but it is dwindling, 5 of them are seinors this year, there are 3 in 11th and andrew in tenth but thats about it. I think Goth is dieing out in Brashear, its turning Emo Gangster. now that is a scary thought.

I was told I was emo-gangster at one point of time. I merely stared at them silently until they went away.
I was wearing a south pole shirt and a couple of bracelets along with a NY hat.
People should just stay out of my buisness. rolleyes I'll wear what I want to.  

Choklit Teddi

450 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Conventioneer 300

nodens the river god

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:30 pm
that is sooo true i think that goth should be for smart people cuz u look stupid goths are not all like i am so sad i going to commit suicide they are just normal people with diffrent outlooks on life  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:02 pm
nondens
that is sooo true i think that goth should be for smart people cuz u look stupid goths are not all like i am so sad i going to commit suicide they are just normal people with diffrent outlooks on life

Oh, the irony tickles me in a most delightful way.  

-Isel-

Exodus2

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:14 pm
GilAskan
You have had an encounter with mallcore, or more accurately, mallgoths.

99.9% of teens who claim to be goth are, in fact, mallcore or mallgoths.

GilAskan
Mallgoth (n., adj.):

1. (n.) A member of the mallcore who falsely associates themselves with the goth culture
2. (adj.) Describing a mallgoth or things liked by them.

Mallgoths tend to [note: these are characteristics that mallgoths tend to have, but having one or many of these traits does not essentially make you a mallgoth]:

-Wear almost nothing but Hot Topic Clothes
-Wear Tripp Bondage Pants
-Wear ridiculous amounts of wrist-bands
-Wear ONLY black
-Write in black sharpie words like "death" and "pain" over any white area of clothing
-Try to get attention, but claim they aren't [trying to get attention]
-Claim to be goth, but don't actually know what goth is
-Are angsty
-Claim to be "More goth"
-Instantly hate anyone who isn't mallcore
-Claim to be artistically inclined, though, typically only say this to fit in with the art crowd
-Claim to be against labels, but use labels themselves
-Spend a lot of time at the mall, annoying people or wasting time
-Purposefully scare non-goths
-Call members of the real goth culture "posers"
-Listen to bands such as (but not limited to): Marilyn Manson, Evanescence, koRn, Slipknot, My Chemical Romance, Aiden, Cradle of Filth, and AFI
-Regularly wear band logo shirts
-Wear shirts that say "I'm a Goth" or "GOTH"
-Wear too much make-up, typically which is over exaggerated
-Are undyingly obsessed with Marilyn Manson, Gerard Way, Dany Filth, or such other figures
-Are pointlessly rebellious (i.e. against ANYTHING that's AT ALL popular)
-Claim to be bisexual (but tend to be straight, only claiming to be bisexual for attention)
-Wear too much jewelry, which tends to be low quality

These are some common traits.

Other terms for mallgoths:

Mallcore (more broad term, including mallcore-emo and mallcore-punk)
Gloomcookie (mallgoth which wears Hot Topic or such brand clothes exclusively; see picture in second post)
Doomcookie (mallgoth who wears too much makeup, typically in the style of Cradle of Filth members, Marilyn Manson, or the Crow)
M&M (see "Mansonite")
Skingoth (vain teenagers obsessed singularly with the goth image)
Kindergoth (immature teenagers who choose to be "goth" in an vain attempt to rebel)
Mansonite (term specifically referring to mallgoth who are obsessed with Marilyn Manson)
Gruftie (German slang for what we now know as mallgoth; originally referred to legitimate goths, but the actual word "goth" grew more popular)
Cucaracha (Spanish slang for mallgoths)
Nos (French slang for mallgoth, short for "Nosferatu". A shirt with the word "Nosferatu" grew very popular amongst french mallgoths)

If you're still in high-school, I have even my doubts about whether or not the people you have met are goths. Some schools will, on occassion, have a small group of legitimate goths, but it's not widely common.

The goth culture has stayed pretty solid in it's 27 years on this planet, but the mallgoth population is rapidly growing. Many teenagers (now with Hot Topic making such fashions and styles accessible) try to fit the goth style as a way to rebel, or because they want to be unique, however, the majority of them have no idea what the real goth culture consists of.

I know, it is annoying how many of them claim to be goth  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 3:32 am
Stupid people exist amongst all ranks!

And the fact that you're in highschool makes the chance of people being idiots a lot higher than afterwards.

Spooky Wasabi Princess

Proxy Risk-Taker

14,850 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Magical Girl 50

Silenus Slade

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:25 am
Actually, I noticed something interesting last weekend.
I'm not a goth, never have been, but I decided to paint my nails black. Had this been back when I was in high school, people would have asked if I had "gone goth." Surprisingly, everyone asked if I had "gone emo."
1.) People aren't sure what goth is.
2.) Emo is taking over the universe. Better get a livejournal and start listening to Evanescence. (and no, I am not serious on ANY level)

Oh and yeah, stupid people are everywhere. Oh god are they...  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:28 am
It's true that people dont know what goth is. Just last week my roommate looked at me and told me that I was emo. HA! Right. I mean, I have the emo hair cut because i think that it's really cute (and it works on me) but other than that...no.

I'm not bashing emo - i hate people who bash other people for who they are or who they choose to be.

Just last night one of my friends and I were talking and this came up. And she was going on about something along the lines of emo being the new goth. I was appauled.

I'm not even going to touch on what emo is or where it stands when it comes to goth. The fact of the matter is that many people dont even know. I'm not even sure if I know. I just know that I'm not emo.

It's sad because now days everyone is all like - oh, you wear black all the time? You're goth. Oh and you dont wear black all the time - no you cant be goth. But that's not the case. What you wear doesn't make a difference. I mean, yes I wear black shirts occasinally. But mostly i just wear darker shirts with blue jeans. (I'm not really a fan of bright colored clothing...never have been). I hate how people sterio type. And I hate how people judge other people that they dont understand.

It pisses me off.  

SaiBlackNight

thun_der_kat

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:34 am
you don't know a t h i n g about my s i n s, how the m i s e r y begins.

I will stand up and admit I am one of said people who don't know what goth is.

Well, let me explain...

I try not to label people, myself included, because I hate the idea of labelling and stereotypes (don't we all?). But the goth culture intrigues me because I don't know a lot (ok, virtually nothing) about it, but things I have an interest in might fit me somewhere under a subdivision of goth. I don't know. I don't really care one way or the other. I just kinda do the whole whatever's comfortable / semi-bohemian thing... but it's usually in dark colors or has some sort of "odd" or "macabre" accent (usually in jewellery and sometimes in makeup).

I don't own any corsets (that will change though, because the excuse of a play I'm in just conveniently came up), nor a lot of what I would consider "goth" clothing. I have a decent amount of black, which is slowly but steadily increasing... as my parents come to terms with the fact that I am my own person, and I'm still the same ol' me no matter what I wear.

Not that I'm saying corsets are the only thing that defines a goth girl's wardrobe. All I'm really saying is that I don't know enough about goth to know if I really am one... which makes my insides convulse because I'm willingly trying to but a "label" on myself. xp

you d o n ' t k n o w, so i'm burning. i'm b u r n i n g.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:53 am
Wait til you get to college for goth spotting hun, and usually the people that get into college have a few brain cells to rub together (unless they got in because daddy gave the college people a load of money). In general most of the people waring black in high school aren't true goths, to tell, ask what they like, if they reply with Hawthorne Heights then yeah, those're emos, if however they reply with true in the blue (should that be black?) goth (Joy Division, Bauhaus) then you've got yourself some goth there (yaay!).

However, it may be noted that there is a third kind of freak you may discover - the metalhead. As a member of this breed I tend to describe myself as goth (I dress like one, I like a lot of vintage goth etc) as I find it easier to call myself that, it saves of arguments of
"but you wear black, your goth"
"no, I like metal"
"what, that goth music with all the screaming?"
etc etc rolleyes

Amusingly there's only really metalheads at my school, 1 goth girl (that I re-turned goth from hippie!), and just 1 emo. Another amusing thing is I'm only 1 of two metal/goth girls in the entire school with around 10 or so guys, it's a very nice situation rofl  

Isobel Bellamy

2aetH

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:44 pm
I don't claim to be a goth. I just fit with the crowd.
Take that as you will.

~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces