Reply Sacred Sources -The Outer Forum -
Witches and Pagans in the Media -- Updated 1/28 Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Jezehbelle

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:41 pm
It seems like Witches and Pagans are popping up in the media again, more frequently now, so I figure, I'll turn this into a thread, keeping you guys on the look out and such...

1/28 Update -

Monday, January 29th, 2007, The Tyra Banks Show will air an episode called "The Mysterious Lives of Witches"
Quote:
Do you believe in magic? Tyra meets some of the 400,000 people in the United States who call themselves witches and explores their mysterious world of spells and rituals. Three women claim they are “white witches” or “good witches,” but have been tormented due to their beliefs. Then the “good witches” agree to pull back the curtain for a first-hand look at a witches’ induction ceremony, and Tyra speaks with the woman who was welcomed into their coven. Tyra reveals the other side of witchcraft when she’s joined by three people who consider themselves “dark witches,” and take you inside a ceremony where a blood-letting ritual is performed. Tyra also speaks with two members of one of the most controversial and feared groups in history, Satanists, including a man who claims he is the first child born in the “Church of Satan.” Plus, a former witch who now believes witchcraft is evil.

The show airs at 1 PM, EST.

1/24 Update --
http://www.commercial-news.com/local/local_story_024112412.html

I'm not sure how many of you know about the High-Correll's or the Correllian Nativist Tradition, but they run "Witch School" in Hoopeston, Illinois (I think the online version of Witch School is being run seperately from the tradition).

If you read the article link, Witch School is slated to debut on the Sci-Fi Channel as a "docu-soap"

TLC (The Learning Channel) has this show called "My Unique Family". Apparently, the episode to air on Febuary 19th (10pm EST) is called "The Witches Next Door" about a woman (and her family, I assume) who established the first Wiccan church in her town.

I'm kindof a little unsure about the reality-docu-soap with Witch School. On one hand, I think it could be a non-horrible decision, so long as it's full of disclaimers... And on the other, I can see it spiraling into an ugly beastie. gonk Here's hoping it's a good documentary and their not nutbars..

Original Topic
(andthecrowdgoeswiiilld)

http://www.pagantelevision.com/

This is very interesting to me.
surprised

According to this notice on WitchVox, it's a work in progress station (?) with a Pagan flavor.

I'm not sure, since the first episode of the first show "Pagan Paths", which can be viewed on the above website, is, well, on the above website. I've never really seen a lot of new TV stations come up before though...

I hope they get body mics soon. The episode, I can't quite understand, because well, I have all of my sound levels all the way up and it's just so quiet. It definately looks like they're in desperate need for some technical help and support (and the notice says that too).

But, it's curious and it started me thinking.

I can only think of a few pagan comics. Like Oh My Gods! for example. And.. uhm.. I said Oh My Gods! right? I've seen a few random one-liner comic strips on various websites, but no active webcomics that I can think of.

I think it's a great idea and undestandable that it's a work in progress so there's technical problems (it's not officially "born" yet, so it's okay).

But, I'm wondering

Are we ready for Pagan TV?
Do you have any fears or aspirations for such a television program?
What good and bad things can come from another religious channel?

Pagan Sitcoms anyone?
surprised

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:52 am
Actually, I think its a great idea.
Television needs something like this, not only to educate people on what Paganism is, but to keep Pagan's informed, and to offer a Pagan-related form of entertainment. I mean, it would be good to see a show specifically geared at Pagan's, in my opinion.

Having a video camera, I was thinking of doing something similar... But keeping it completely online.
Now I see no reason why I can't come up with an idea. A Pagan news show, once weekly, perhaps.
But I would need other Pagans in my area (Barrie, Ontario), and at current... Well, I don't know any. No non-Fluffies, anyways. rolleyes

Winter Black
Crew

Mina Beltara

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:53 am
I think the station has a good chance surviving if they have the right people in place. Some people are welcoming new and different channels that support something that's not main stream. Logo's still kicking and they're bringing in new shows and specials, so I don't see why a pagan network wouldn't be able to handle being on air. It just takes some stubborn people that don't put up with other peoples.... mess... and care about what they broadcast.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:29 am
A Pagan TV network has little chance of surviving if it goes to mainstream TV broadcast; in fact I doubt such a project would even get off the ground. It does not look like they plan on having this air on your TV set though... it is internet based only. That kind of enterprise can probably suceed; already Pagan podcasts are often in the top twenty for "Religion and Inspiration" and recently, the podcast "Deos Shadow" was in the top five running for the best in its category. Pagan media is growing with the strong faces of the Proud Pagan Podcasters. Given the intense amount of resources neccessary to produce video AND audio, though, I'm skeptical as to if this will really take off. The video needs to offer something that audio alone cannot... and I've been very, very satisfied with Pagan podcasts I've listened to. If something visual is required, usually podcasters post it up on their website. Far easier and more cost effective than making everything video when that is not neccessary.  

Starlock
Crew

Jezehbelle

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:12 am
Winter Black
Actually, I think its a great idea.
Television needs something like this, not only to educate people on what Paganism is, but to keep Pagan's informed, and to offer a Pagan-related form of entertainment. I mean, it would be good to see a show specifically geared at Pagan's, in my opinion.

Having a video camera, I was thinking of doing something similar... But keeping it completely online.
Now I see no reason why I can't come up with an idea. A Pagan news show, once weekly, perhaps.
But I would need other Pagans in my area (Barrie, Ontario), and at current... Well, I don't know any. No non-Fluffies, anyways. rolleyes
I'd actually really appreciate a couple of pagan television shows.
Even if this is a television station, no one would get it without specifically ordering it, for a very long time. (I don't even have HBO..)

A few documentaries on PBS and the Discovery Channel, maybe, would be good baby steps.
A character on a television show whose pagan, but not crazed-hippy, just a normal person whose religious in the unconventional ways.

We did have that episode of wife swap, right?  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:58 pm
I think this is a great idea, and a couple of Pagan tv shows really would be great. I'm not sure if something like this could get off the ground, but it would be awesome. Besides, as some have said, this wouldnt only be good for the Pagan community, but also as a tool to educate non Pagans. If there is a Christian TV network, I see no reason why I Pagan one can not exist as well.  

Kakure Basho

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 8:00 pm
No. No. Nonononononononononononononononononononononononooooooooooo

I do not want to turn on the TV and see my faith being turned into a sitcom. It will start out well-intentioned, but you can lay damn good money on the program being in need of money and getting snapped up by some big CEO style of person who will commercialize the s**t out of it. Stereotypes ******** galore.

Please, let's stay with the independently produced things that lead to greater creativity. Let's stay a faith in shadows that isn't loud and intrusive. Let's not sell ourselves out to what will become a commercial bid. Please.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:35 pm
I think its a great idea. Think of all the possiblities, cooking shows, creating oils, lotions, to learn all those kinda things. There can be like, nature shows, cooking, crafts, and rituals and everything. I tihnk it would be great! I would watch it or listen to it. Then we could see Pagan holidays on t.v like all souls night Parades and such!  

Aurora234

Jezehbelle

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:16 pm
-moves the topic up, because she updated the topic instead of making a new one-  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:37 am
I always worry a bit about mainstreamization of Neopaganism. It could either be very eye opening for others or just plain make us all look bad. And knowing the general media, they're going to go for shock value and ratings over a heartfelt and emathetic portrayal. But hey, it could still be interesting!  

Starlock
Crew

Jezehbelle

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:15 pm
Starlock
I always worry a bit about mainstreamization of Neopaganism. It could either be very eye opening for others or just plain make us all look bad. And knowing the general media, they're going to go for shock value and ratings over a heartfelt and emathetic portrayal. But hey, it could still be interesting!
With this case, I dunno.

Since they had a lot of problems when they first started out, a lot of protesting was done from the people in that city, and people from the surrounding areas, so I'm sortof hoping that gets a little light shed on it.
I really hope it's more empathetic and documentary like instead of something like Mad, Mad House (I never got to watch it, but I've heard that the witch on that show was just awful).. D: I know that, even if the people who work and attend Witch School act totally normal, it's so easy for producers, directors and editors to spin things the ways they deem fit. ):

A Day in the Life of Witch School (Part One) and (Part Two)

(MagickTV is their channel on YouTube -- they have some neat stuff on there, not exactilly the most entertaining thing you'll see on YouTube, but some educational stuff (Tarot College is pretty good, I kinda wish they'd return to doing that series))  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:36 pm
Nihilistic Seraph
No. No. Nonononononononononononononononononononononononooooooooooo

I do not want to turn on the TV and see my faith being turned into a sitcom. It will start out well-intentioned, but you can lay damn good money on the program being in need of money and getting snapped up by some big CEO style of person who will commercialize the s**t out of it. Stereotypes ******** galore.

Please, let's stay with the independently produced things that lead to greater creativity. Let's stay a faith in shadows that isn't loud and intrusive. Let's not sell ourselves out to what will become a commercial bid. Please.

I agree, whats the point in exploiting the religion. Ppl can get steryotypes off it and as it is Christanity is taking a higher toll in televison shows. To them well just look bad, and pagens and wiccans look bad as it is. Its rather a stupid idea to me, since so many ppl argue about religion anyway.  

Redwing~Shadow

Azana Brown

Supercharged Protagonist

40,975 Points
  • Winged 100
  • Novice Mage 100
  • Battle: KO 200
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:50 pm
Why do I think the Tyra Banks show is going to screw things up majorly?

1.) While we do have many "types" represented, including the Satanists with it is not going to put the rest of us in a favorable light.

2.) The "former witch" who thinks magic is evil gives people fodder to refute us further.

3.) The "dark witch" ritual of blood-letting just plays into everyone's hollywood fantasies of secret rites.

4.) Overall, putting all these people on a show about witches is just going to make it look like we're all nutjobs.

>_< While I'm all for awareness, this is NOT the way to do it.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:43 pm
The Tyra Banks is a Trash Talk show.

It's inevitable.  

Jezehbelle

Starlock
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:51 am
So did anyone else catch the TLC special on a Wiccan family last night? While they didn't go into much detail on their practices (which is probably a good thing for a variety of reasons) the treatment was very good. The Reverend sounds like someone I'd like to meet; a woman with a strong personality and a real call to be clergy. She's doing some great work in her area building a strong and vibrant Neopagan community! Kudos!  
Sacred Sources -The Outer Forum -

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff