Welcome to Gaia! ::

+ The Official 'Got Goth?' Guild +

Back to Guilds

Tags: goth, subculture, alternative 

Reply ~ Main Forum ~
Who here actually READS anymore?(I do and I'm proud of it!) Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 ... 22 23 24 25 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

How are you? (I'm FORCING you to answer nicely!)
  Very fine thank you.
  Not very well I'm afraid.
View Results

Henneth Annun
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 5:16 pm
Seriouslly! Who really goes to the bookstore, gets a copy of "the red badge of courage" and reads anymore. I still do! The amount of people who go to the bookstore for something besides anime is dwindling...Anime is cool but try reading something else as well for a change.

While I have a topic started here, I would like to ask how many goths you know/meet that you would consider intelligent/"geeky" (read books, know about history, literature, science, don't hate school...) It seems like a lot of people these days just headbang to some metal band, wear black, and say they're goth. No. I'm sorry. Those qualities alone can't make you goth. Or at least "true goth". They should read up about goth a bit more.

Also, who here plays an instument? What do you play, for how long, and do you wright your own music?  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 5:20 pm
razorblade6060
Seriouslly! Who really goes to the bookstore, gets a copy of "the red badge of courage" and reads anymore. I still do! The amount of people who go to the bookstore for something besides anime is dwindling...Anime is cool but try reading something else as well for a change.

While I have a topic started here, I would like to ask how many goths you know/meet that you would consider intelligent/"geeky" (read books, know about history, literature, science, don't hate school...) It seems like a lot of people these days just headbang to some metal band, wear black, and say they're goth. No. I'm sorry. Those qualities alone can't make you goth. Or at least "true goth". They should read up about goth a bit more.

Also, who here plays an instument? What do you play, for how long, and do you wright your own music?

i still read and i love eit alot i just finished a book called the midnighters, and the midnighters two i love to read, but i dont like school im afraid, i also play and instument i play guitar and for about a year and a half and i write lyrics but not chords, i also would like to say that i agree with you on the headbanging posers thing  

chibihanyou2001

-Isel-

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 5:54 pm
Actually, I have an odd fixation on reading textbooks. Like school textbooks- if I have the capability to read one, I will read it, beginning-to-end.

I also have a world atlas from 2003 that I read constantly.

Literature-wise, however, I'm reading Anne Rice's new book, "Christ the Lord: Out of Egypt".

EDIT: In response to the instrument question, I play the guitar with moderate skill.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:00 pm
I try to read about a book a week. I recently (in the last few weeks) have read:

Red Dragon
The Scarlet Letter
Anansi Boys
Blood: Night of the Beasts
Jurassic Park (second time)  

GilAskan
Crew

vampyrblood

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:09 pm
I Love reading 3nodding All my friends that are goth love to read and are intelligent. One is a 4 year law student, the other I go around hunting down rare books and random assortments of occult reading and some new age stuff. I'm currently reading Brian Lumley's Necroscope series. I actually like school, I think if you go to the right school with the right surroundings you'd like it.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:28 pm
I am more of the Sci Fi/Fantasy type.

I've read the following:
The Robotech saga(s) (up to #18 )
Eragon
Eldest
Battletech/Mechwarrior (Darkage)
some of Edgar Allen Poe's work (I working through my grandma's collection)

For school:
The Scarlet Letter
The Crusible
The Learning Tree
How to Kill a Mocking Bird

and as for instuments, I have played the trumpet in 4th-6th grades, Though from listening to bands such as Yes, Emerson lake and Palmer and Asia I have been meaning to take up both Guitar and Keyboard.  

Omega_Dragoon_Wolff

celtic_faerie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:32 pm
i read^^ and if i may, i must reccomend some awaesome books to you all^^

ANYTHING by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes (for you non-readers, they're short, but good)

The Dark Elf Trilogy, Icewind Dale trilogy, and any other books you can find about Drizzt Do'Urden, the Drow, such as The Legacy, and all by an amazing author named R. A. Salvatore. if you're interested in DnD, but don't know how to get started or what you want to be, and can't afford the Player's Handbook, read these and anything else in the Forgotten Realms Serieses.

Of course, Steven King, the god of horror

and i just happened to stumble upon a book called Sweetblood(don't remember the author) it's sort of about vampires. this girl with diabetes believes that before a "cure" was found for it, people with diabetes could have been mistaken for vampires. then she meets a real vampire. check it out.

as for music, i'm more of a vocalist and i have to write my own music, because i have a "unique" voice(and by that, i mean i suck at anything but my own work) i somewhat play guitar, but can't get the hang of it. i've had it for 2 years, but haven't played it much. i know part of an original song by my b/f  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:37 pm
I read quite a lot.
At the moment I'm reading 'Great Tales of Terror From Europe and America', a collection of stories from the 17-1800s.
I read the paper as well. Same with the Good Weekend magazine that comes with the Saturday Age. Great articles in that.
I love reading! heart

I don't have any Real World goth friends, but out of all my Real World friends I'd say that the people who read a lot are in a minority.

(also, I polled 'Not Good' because I have crazy-bad period pain razz )

Spooky Wasabi Princess

Proxy Risk-Taker

14,850 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Magical Girl 50

The Deadliest Grace

4,650 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:12 pm
If nobody here has read the Twilight and New Moon boks by Stephanie Meiyer, you should.

Anyway, yes i read all of the time. and I'm an honor roll student.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:01 pm
I could hang around a book store all day. heart  

TheWitchGotRobin

Spooky Wasabi Princess

Proxy Risk-Taker

14,850 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Magical Girl 50
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:03 pm
I could quite happily work in a book shop.
A small one where I could get away with reading all day.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:23 pm
I read constantly. Most of the books I read are classics, though I will read any book thats thrown at me.
Here's a list of my current readings:

On my own:

Edward the Second (Christopher Marlowe)
Dracula (Bram Stoker)
El Alquemista (Paulo Coleho)
How to Expand Love (His Holiness the Fourteenth Dalai Lama)
Madame Bovary (Gustave Flaubert)

For School(But sort-of on my own accord, since I was able to choose what book/authr I wished to report on for my English class):

Lolita (Vladimir Nabokov)
Keys to Lolita (Carl R. Proffer)  

DreamerSpirit

Veruniel
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:18 pm
I read a lot. I love thick, complicated novels that I can really linger over. I like historical fiction and I'm a raving Dostoevsky fangirl. I've also got scads of nonfiction — mostly art books and histories of the Middle Ages and the Renaissance, and a couple of books on singing technique.

My only trouble is that I read slowly. I see all sorts of interesting books, and I buy them faster than I can go through them!  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:23 pm
Quicksilver is a good book, at least I think it is....  

Tom Gunn 666

DreamerSpirit

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:28 pm
Veruniel
My only trouble is that I read slowly. I see all sorts of interesting books, and I buy them faster than I can go through them!

Haha... I'm the same way! I love to read, and have quite a nice little personal library, yet I buy/borrow books faster than I can read them! sweatdrop  
~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 ... 22 23 24 25 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff