55%
 55%  [ 5 ]
Gold!
22%
 22%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 9

Kolibris

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 7:21 am
This is one of my favorite series ever. Anybody else read it?  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 7:56 am
I love the Dresden Files. Harry's cool. But I prefer Murphy and Bob. Just because Bob's a perveerted skull, and I find that hilarious.  

NightIntent
Captain

LHL

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 10:44 am
Ya think ya could post a description of the series? Nothin to indepth, just general?  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 11:01 am
Basically, Harry Dresden, the only professional wizard in Chicago, has to solve a number of mysteries, one in every book. Normally they're murder mysteries, and each one has a main villain, as well as other side ones. So Harry gets some of his friends to help him in each case, and always ends up solving them at the end, though he often nearly loses his life in the process. And he risks his friends' lives, too, though that's because they insist on it. As the series goes, you learn a bit more about Harry's past. Also, Harry is a very sarcastic character and often does some very interesting things. Like dressing up as a cheesy vampire at a vampire's masquerade ball. And there's a general summary. Or as good of one as I can give.  

NightIntent
Captain

cpt_morgan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 12:23 pm
haven't read the series, but my friend has. she loved them @_@. jum buthcer is the author right? he just started a new series too! the first one is out in paperback, "Furies of Caulderon". much more fantasy @_@. i mst read his stuff! ninja  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 7:01 pm
cpt_morgan
haven't read the series, but my friend has. she loved them @_@. jum buthcer is the author right? he just started a new series too! the first one is out in paperback, "Furies of Caulderon". much more fantasy @_@. i mst read his stuff! ninja

You bookstore junkie!! At least you get paid though!! mrgreen  

Flux_o_color

cpt_morgan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 7:17 pm
Flux_o_color
cpt_morgan

You bookstore junkie!! At least you get paid though!! mrgreen
i am a junkie! so are you. and you get my discount too! domokun heart  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 10:55 pm
cpt_morgan

I looked at that book. While I love the Dresden Files, I'm a bit skittish about getting that book. I've had all of the books by an author be ruined by a single book. I was so close to geting the Furies of Calderon, but then I put it back, because I just don't want to stop liking Jim Butcher. But I highly recommend this series, anyways.  

NightIntent
Captain

NightIntent
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:58 pm
*Sigh* This was the last thread in the whole guild. Oh, well.

I think I figured out why I love this series so much. Harry's an idiot. That's a main factor. But a funny idiot. And he evolves just enough and little enough to make it seem realistic. Plus there's the fact that, for some odd reason, though everything happening to him should seem entirely far-fetched and have the reader asking, "Why do all these bad things happen to him? Why not the poor shmuck next door?", you never actually ask that. It's actually really believable. While some people don't look for believability in fantasy books, I like it. Then there's the added fact of all the awesome side characters. Gotta love fairies. And Bob. And Thomas. It's, like, impossible to hate Thomas. For me, at least.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:38 pm
So. I went to the bookstore today, looking for a book that I knew was out. Out of boredom, I looked at the shelf where Jim Butcher's books were. And the next book in the series, Proven Guilty, was out already! Stupid hardcovers. I didn't have the money to get it, else I'd have jumped at the chance. I wasn't expecting it to come out until next month! Now I have to go back to get it.  

NightIntent
Captain

mylittleshadow

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:58 pm
Why not try the library?  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:04 pm
mylittleshadow
Why not try the library?

The libraries I go to have older books. Plus they have this weird way of "shelving" them, and I have yet to figure out anything about their system. And those are the public libraries. My school library doesn't get much new fantasy. I figure I'll borrow money from my sister, since she has a gift card that she likely won't use, and pay her back next week, since I left most of my money (all of, like, twenty dollars) at my dad's house.  

NightIntent
Captain

NightIntent
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:14 pm
I'm so mad at the SciFi Channel. They made a TV series called The Dresden Files, and claim it's based on the book, right? The only thing the same are the names. The characters aren't similar, the events certainly aren't, and the characters (did I mention they weren't similar to the book?) aren't particularly believable. And Harry hardly works magic at all. So disappointing. The books are perfectly fine in most respects, certainly with plot and characters, yet they don't follow them in the least. It annoys me.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:30 am
The next book in the series, White Night, comes out tomorrow! I'm so excited!  

NightIntent
Captain

NightIntent
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:34 pm
Totally got White Night today. So far, I love it so much. I always forget how awesome Harry is. n.n  
Fantasy Books Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff