8%
 8%  [ 2 ]
Smoker: trying to quit
8%
 8%  [ 2 ]
Ex-smoker
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Anti-smoker, give me that fire extinguisher!
12%
 12%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 25

Isobel Bellamy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:29 pm
Recently Izzie has developed what sounds like a rather nasty smoker's cough, despite never smoking in her life (it's not a real smoker's cough, it just sounds like one and provokes people to ask me how much I must smoke to have a cough like it at my age... stare ). This all came about from spending a night in my local goth and alt friendly pub, with a bunch of smokers.

Now, my real question is what is your stance on smoking? Are you, like me, particularly prone to devoloping smoking related problems *long suffering asthmatic*, or a smoker yourself? How about staunch anti-smoker, considerate smoker, social smoker or whatever kind of cigarette-related category?

Personally, I have no real problems about people smoking; it's their choice to smoke. However, I don't support people smoking around others, for good reason, especially if the smoker takes offence or becomes offensive when asked to not blow smoke into my face stare . I'm lucky in that (most) of my friends are considerate smokers, and others have been turned to this persuasion when they witness an asthma attack brought on by their smoke.

Also, there's a difference between people that don't smoke and non-smokers: people that don't smoke just don't smoke, it's non-smokers that don't like cigarettes or cigarette smoke around them, anti-smokers are also the militant form of non-smokers, I wouldn't be surprised if I found anti-smokers targetting people lighting up with fire extinguishers

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:39 pm
When and where i smoke im always around others who smoke but if there came an instance where someone im on good terms with didnt approve of my smoking for whatever reason id go elsewhere but other than that if that person wants to be near me they can be second-hand smokers.  

grotesquekreeple

Dragonfire Goddess

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:51 pm
I would have to say I'm an anti smoker, since I can actually get very sick from second-hand-smoke and very few people seem to be considerate about it. However if the person isn't smoking anywhere near me then I suppose it's their choice to give themselves lung cancer...although I find that incredibly stupid.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:52 pm
Today, a good friend of mine bitched me out because I smoke, and now she refuses to talk to me.

I don't get it, and frankly I'm offended. I don't do it around anyone, really, whenever I smoke, I'm alone or around other smokers. I don't really make a point of it... but the fact that I wore my leather jacket today is what ruined it for me, leather retains the smell easily.

I want to do it, definitely, but I don't like losing friends like that.

... Please don't b***h at me for it too...

-Isel-

Verienkeli

Girl-Crazy Genius

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:40 pm
The only real stance I have on smoking is that I quit in March 1999, but I don't really care if someone lights up near me.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:09 pm
Smoking is revolting.

Completely non-appealing.

And, like alcohol, I hold no respect for those who choose to destroy their bodies.

MortSanglant

lurichan
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:47 pm
Personally, I'm really not big on smoking.

Spiritualistically speaking, it destroys your soul a little bit at a time.

My ex used to smoke a pipe and conjoled me into trying it.. twice. Both times I became HORRIBLY ill afterwards. Needless to say I still harbor some resentment for that.

Overall I tend to avoid spending too much time around people when they smoke. My van is a strickly non-smoking zone.

I don't really understand why people would smoke considering all of the risks involved. I personally do not wish to aquire lung cancer, or any other myraid of maliadies affilated with smoking. I detest the smell of cigarrettes.

This doesn't mean I Hate people who smoke, this just means I think they are making the wrong choice overall. I've had a few friends who have smoked, and I've attempted to disuade a few, but I am in charge of myself and no one else. If that's their choice, that is their choice.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:53 pm
I used to have bad asthma, and hated being around my mother when she smoked. I still hate being around smoke, but not in a militant way. I just don't like being in places that are smoke heavy, or being shut in a small space with smoking going on.  

Clash of Vision

lurichan
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:55 pm
On a small side note, I've never considered taking a fire extinguisher to a smoker, however I wouldn't be adverse to chasing them with a squirt bottle if they were obnoxious about it, aka blowing smoke in my face. twisted It works as punishment for the cats after all.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:33 pm
Well, personally, I don't really like smoking... at all. Personally, I'm not a fan of people who decide to destroy their lives and the lives of people around them either.

I can't stand being around the smell of smoke, or smoke in general. Last year (or the year before... I can't remember confused ) MN passed a law for a few counties that you had to remain 50 feet from a restaurant, or public place before you could smoke. Which is nice, except for those trips to random restaurants around the Twin Cities... for example, Hardrock Cafe. When we go to HC, there almost seems to be a cloud of smoke in the air, and it makes me sick.

People who choose to destroy their lives to smoking, make that choice, however I believe it's a stupid choice.

-Hija de Cristo-

Oterys

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:47 pm
I also am not a fan of smoking. In fact I am asthmatic, but even when I wasn't I detested smoking. I have never tried it nor do I think I ever will. I believe I'd sooner kill myself then to torment my body into this slow death. Okay I won't annilate anyone who does smoke, that;s their right to do so, but it makes me sick, physically ill, not to mention the whole breathing thing. And although I am on a religious sabbatical I believe that you lose something of yourself to a vice like smoking. Cigarettes, cigars, and pipes are not what nature intended and people who do this sort of thing to themselves often look ill let alone the cost of them ought to make one seriously consider whether or not they need to keep it up or not. However continuing a clearly unhealthy habit like smoking is a choice, one that I made when I was too young to remember, and the years have only convinced me that I was right.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:49 am
MortSanglant
Smoking is revolting.

And, like alcohol, I hold no respect for those who choose to destroy their bodies.

In the topic about alcohol to changed your stance to "I have no respect for their decision." That position i understand, and have no problem with.

Please tell me you would not decide to hold no respect for a person because of one choice. It seems silly to say, "Mother Teresa was great and all, but you know, she drank wine at communion."

(Yes, that was hyperbole.)  

zz1000zz
Crew

MortSanglant

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:08 am
zz1000zz
MortSanglant
Smoking is revolting.

In the topic about alcohol to changed your stance to "I have no respect for their decision." That position i understand, and have no problem with.

Please tell me you would not decide to hold no respect for a person because of one choice. It seems silly to say, "Mother Teresa was great and all, but you know, she drank wine at communion."

(Yes, that was hyperbole.)

Must I respecify again?

It's the same stance, worded somewhat differently; maybe less obviously.

I don't see why it truly matters to you that much.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 6:53 am
I don't smoke but my friends do. I made a choice for not starting to smoke(money) but I don't moind them smoking. it is a decision they made, eventhough they are trying to stop but they get lured back into smoking by other people.

For me that is also a reason for not smoking.

I'm used to smoking, I don't even smell it when people have smoked 10 minutes ago. while most people who don't smoke can smell a smoker from miles away!

Disease of the Flesh

xX x0mbie Xx

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:37 am
im trying to quit but every now and again ill have one, i guess it more of a social in between quitting and social i guess, but i dont smoke as much as i used to 3nodding  
~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff