Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
120 character limit Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

TXT TLK in cell phone text messages?
  Sure. Those things are costly to send, so I need to get everything in a single message!
  Hell no. There is never a good reason to sacrifice the quality of the English language!
  Sometimes. It depends on what I'm typing and whom I'm sending it to.
  I don't have a cell phone, use SMS, or am a pholl whore.
View Results

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 3:24 pm
My cell phone limits me to 120 characters in SMS. This naturally makes it difficult to type a message. So the question I put forth to you is: Do those of you blessed with cell phones ever use "txt tlk" or acronyms to downsize your messages enough to fit in a single SMS? I wouldn't totally condemn it in that case since cell phone companies charge per message.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 5:54 pm
Sadly, yes.

Drunken Bandit

little rubber duckie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:18 pm
No actually, I still use proper grammar. It's more of a hassle but I really hate txt tlk sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:58 pm
My mom decided I don't get to send text messages to friends because of the cost of each so I can't be much help but I think I would probably use "txt tlk"  

Super Awesome Thing

The Man who was Thursday

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:29 pm
I avoid SMS.

When I do use it, I keep my messages concise. I spell correctly, but I don't bother with capitalization.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:59 pm
[x]

Yami no Hitokiri
So the question I put forth to you is: Do those of you blessed with cell phones ever use "txt tlk" or acronyms to downsize your messages enough to fit in a single SMS?

Oh snap, it's not a blessing!

I avoid sending text messages whenever possible, but if the person I'm trying to get a hold of doesn't have voice mail I suck it up. I make it a point to use proper English; I want to set an example for my less literate companions. heart

~Pyrite
[x]

[ Pyrite ]

Fatal Hilarity

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:40 am
I just write short sentences.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:28 am
Thanks for the feedback. I'd call the whole SMS thing a gray area, where it's pretty much do what you need to do. As yet, I've been able to avoid using text talk by keeping my sentences short and to the point. I hope to be able to continue doing so.  

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250

dark_elf

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:09 am
Well seeing how that I don't have a cell I can't really in put much. But if I did have a cell, had the capbilty to text and knew how to so, I might use textek just a little.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:47 pm
I always text in proper English. This can be a problem, especially since on my PoS phone, you have to end a sentence (with period and space) to enter a capital letter (then you have to delete them.) I usually just type acronyms out in lower case unless they're three letters or less. Proper names are always capitalized, and possessives, except for pronouns, of course, always have apostrophes. If I'm strapped for characters, I'll cut out conjunctions and just do it headline-style. I'm pretty good at writing concise, single-sentence messages, though, and I call people whenever possible.  

Xillania

Fintastic

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:37 pm
I still use proper grammar. I really hate 'txt-tlk'... I can't understand a single word.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:28 pm
Meh, I don't use text messaging on my cell phone. xp  

Zealot of Insanity

The MoUsY spell-checker

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:39 am
I type normally on my mobile phone. I use predictive text input so it doesn't take too long. I don't text often enough for cost to be an issue (although I know it's probably not very nice for the people who receive my messages, because it must be hard to read a few screens worth of text). I have a prepaid plan, and I need to periodically buy more credit to keep the number anyway.

I remember that I had a classmate who hates textspeak, and her friend asked her a question in textspeak, and that caused a serious misunderstanding because she didn't understand the textspeak.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:48 am
Indeed. I never use it. I hate it. Whenever someone sends me a message in text talk it takes me about a minute to read. Although I have an advantage on you Yami as my phone allows 160 characters.

I also use Predictive text as it speeds up the texting process and helps with spelling.  

Smoozle

Generous Millionaire

7,700 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Megathread 100

splashseal

Fluffy Bunny

19,225 Points
  • Little Bunny Foo Foo 100
  • Pet Lover 100
  • Gifting Gone Wild 250
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:44 am
Only if I am hardpressed, and that means that I would have to send a whole new message just for like, three words. Give me proper grammar any day. However, even in the aforementioned case of being absolutely hardpressed, I: 1. see if I can reword my message differently to be shorter, and 2. make sure it is only to my best friend.

Sad to say that I actually understand "txt talk" because I make fun of it so much with my friend. :/  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff