Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
A quick scarf? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Lychee Fruit

Dangerous Stalker

15,900 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 5:58 pm
After a billion mess-ups, I'm way behind in my Christmas crafting and all my friends seem to want scarves. Is there a "fast" scarf pattern, or is my best bet to just grit my teeth and purl?

...do those cute-looking knitting "machines" in the kids' craft aisles work well? o.o;  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 6:34 pm
Lychee Fruit
After a billion mess-ups, I'm way behind in my Christmas crafting and all my friends seem to want scarves. Is there a "fast" scarf pattern, or is my best bet to just grit my teeth and purl?

...do those cute-looking knitting "machines" in the kids' craft aisles work well? o.o;

Garter stitch on big needles is the fastest scarf I can think of.  

Catcheen
Crew

Psycho Butterfly

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 6:35 pm
really big needles makes fast work for scarfs biggrin  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:29 am
Yes, exactly. I made a scarf in two days with size 15 needles with my wrist problems, so for a normal person it would be a really quick knit.  

Story From The Stars

2,950 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Full closet 200

SaelensFrozenFlame

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:09 am
In my knitting book, there's a scarf that is made with funky yarn, but only uses garter stitch...

you can change the look of the scarf just by using different yarns, so it's easy to knit a few in about a week's time.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:45 pm
I suggest getting chunky yarns and big needles. Mayhaps look into speed sticks and combining a couple yarns.

Narrow, long scarves can go quickly, or at least feel like they go faster....

*normally crochets when she's in a hurry*

If your looking into cheap knitting machine type things, i'd suggest the singer one. I played with it at the fabric store, and it works fairly well. It makes tubes. whee  

kochi~mochi

4,750 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200

VP Club Freakin Justice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:59 pm
Definitely big needles...they're fun! I like 25s and such.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:48 am
Thanks for all the advice! The largest needles I have are 11s. They kinda scared me, but now I'm wishing they were bigger~! T-T  

Lychee Fruit

Dangerous Stalker

15,900 Points
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100

Brunette_Star

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:52 pm
Eyelash yarns (fuzzy yarns) are actually very fun and forgiving, and most of them are bulky weight anyway. I've knitted a few on size 10 1/2 or 11 needles (garter stitch) and managed to finish each one within a week.

Lion Brand Fun Fur and Bernat Disco are two good brands, and some of them even sparkle!

Good luck!  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:49 pm
Brunette_Star
Eyelash yarns (fuzzy yarns) are actually very fun and forgiving, and most of them are bulky weight anyway. I've knitted a few on size 10 1/2 or 11 needles (garter stitch) and managed to finish each one within a week.

Lion Brand Fun Fur and Bernat Disco are two good brands, and some of them even sparkle!

Good luck!

Yeah, if you've got a friend who likes lacey type things, you can use those 11s and pick up finer yarn to use on them. Personally, i heart my 15s (i think they're 15s) with Wool-ease thick and quick.  

kochi~mochi

4,750 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200

Peppermint Elf

Moonlight Warrior

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:56 pm
Cross Over Scarf

This scarf actually goes pretty quickly and looks a whole lot more complicated than it is. I knitted one up in a day. 3nodding

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:24 pm
thast true, basicly just knit with either one or both : huge size yarn like bigger than worsted, or use biger needles like size 13 tocreat a nice lazy affect, and knit in garterfor faster  

Kanhoro

Fenhir Noble

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 3:36 am
There was something in a craft store called a two hour scarf (or something like that). It was really chunky (or furry, I don't remember) and REALLY big needles.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:13 pm
Lychee Fruit

Knitting machines? Where? surprised *is lazy* Then again, I probably couldn't afford it.

I've had to rely on crappy online instruction in order to learn to knit. I have no money you see, so I can't buy books. And the books at my library are for people who know what they're doing.  

Wings Akimbo

Lychee Fruit

Dangerous Stalker

15,900 Points
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:53 pm
Crazy Bananna

Knitting machines? Where? surprised *is lazy* Then again, I probably couldn't afford it.

I saw them during a yarn day at Michaels. It's this pink bowl with a crank-operated knitting round inside. They're marketed to children, but it's the holiday season, so I wasn't *too* embarassed to pick one up with a cupon yesterday. It drops stitches like crazy and apparently these things are renowned for breaking within the first week of ownership. I wanna see if I can crank out a hat or something before mine does. =3  
Craftin'

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff