Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Canadian Revoloution?!? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

How do you feel about Canada?
  I love it.
  I'm ambivalent.
  I despise it.
  It's okay...
View Results

Fuzzy_Bunny_of_Doom

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:28 pm
Just recently I learned that Canada, eh?, (sorry couldn't resist ) was part of The Allies in WWII. This amazed me becasue I previously thought that Canada was a very passive country. So after I learned this I wondered when, or if, the Canadaian Revoloution came about. Can somebody please explain to me what happened during the revoloution or if there wasn't a revoloution I would like to know how Canada became a country. Thanks a bundle. Oh and I would find the most credible source a Canadian becasue I would assume that the establishment of Canada is in the cirriculum. Wait, is there a cirriculum in Canada? O.O

sidenote: am I spelling Revoloution correctly?  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:31 pm
Oh... I guess I have a sudden thirst for Canadian themed knowledge because I would also like to know what kind of goverment (I know it's a republic) the Canada has.  

Fuzzy_Bunny_of_Doom

[ Pyrite ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:10 pm
[x]
Hi, I'm from Canada.

Actually, we didn't revolt. We were a colony of England. While you Americans fought and killed people with your guns, we enjoyed special privileges granted to us by the Queen (being able to fish more, or fish somewhere we were previously unable, it escapes me.) We still have the Queen on our completely normal looking money, and often sing 'God Save the Queen' along with our national anthem.

We just waited it out rather than revolting. Eventually Canada got its own seat and its own say in world matters. Following that, we became a country. Whoa, freedom without violence, what a concept.

As for the government, we call our version of congress "parliament". Instead of electing both houses, we let a representative of the Queen appoint the Senate. Also, all our official government business is conducted in both English and French. We don't have a president, we have a "Premier" or "Prime Minister"

Canada is like America only colder and much more culturally diverse and accepting. We are bilingual, like recycling and many of us go our entire lifetimes without ever seeing a gun in real life. Oh yeah, we have free health care and cheap medication.

Edit: I forgot to mention we aren't nearly as fat.

~
Pyrite
[x]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 1:02 am
My desire to move there has been even more reinforced. I am definitely going to brush up and expand my knowledge of Canada and it's history.  

splashseal

Fluffy Bunny

19,225 Points
  • Little Bunny Foo Foo 100
  • Pet Lover 100
  • Gifting Gone Wild 250

FeelinShiny

Girl-Crazy Man-Lover

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:08 am
Wasn't the whole of Canada first claimed by France? And weren't there several fights over it between France and England?  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:54 pm
Fuzzy_Bunny_of_Doom
Oh... I guess I have a sudden thirst for Canadian themed knowledge because I would also like to know what kind of goverment (I know it's a republic) the Canada has.

I think it's a congessional monoarchy, but I could be wrong.  

Arianna La Moire

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 5:07 pm
It's spelled "revolution".

To me, Canada's just another country like Mexico, the UK, Russia, etc.; no more, no less. I'll admit it does seem very appealing, especially with that chimp in the White House now, but the grass is always greener on the other side. I assure you, Canada has her problems too. This I know because I hear Canadian news on CBC.

Incidentally, did that C-68 firearms confiscation law ever pass? I felt so sorry for the poor farmers and hunters. If city people don't want to keep and bear arms, that's their business, but what right have they to mess with hunters and farmers?

monoarchy monarchy

This is a properly formatted sentence. The first letter of a sentence is ALWAYS capitalized. A sentence always ends in a punctuation mark, usually a period, but sometimes a question mark or exclamation point. Punctuation such as the comma, the colon and the semicolon are used as sentence pausers. Never should a sentence end with one of these.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:34 pm
sparkling_sora
My desire to move there has been even more reinforced. I am definitely going to brush up and expand my knowledge of Canada and it's history.

[x]
Sora, if you want to come to Canada I'll let you live under my bed. I'll give you cookies and table scraps if you help me with my homework okay?

~
Pyrite
[x]

[ Pyrite ]

[Oh Johnny]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 6:06 pm
Good question. Actually, canada never had a revolution.

They peacefully negotiated their independence with France. Not a drop of blood was shed. We can learn from them...  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:19 pm
[ Pyrite ]
[x]
Hi, I'm from Canada.

Actually, we didn't revolt. We were a colony of England. While you Americans fought and killed people with your guns, we enjoyed special privileges granted to us by the Queen (being able to fish more, or fish somewhere we were previously unable, it escapes me.) We still have the Queen on our completely normal looking money, and often sing 'God Save the Queen' along with our national anthem.

We just waited it out rather than revolting. Eventually Canada got its own seat and its own say in world matters. Following that, we became a country. Whoa, freedom without violence, what a concept.

As for the government, we call our version of congress "parliament". Instead of electing both houses, we let a representative of the Queen appoint the Senate. Also, all our official government business is conducted in both English and French. We don't have a president, we have a "Premier" or "Prime Minister"

Canada is like America only colder and much more culturally diverse and accepting. We are bilingual, like recycling and many of us go our entire lifetimes without ever seeing a gun in real life. Oh yeah, we have free health care and cheap medication.

Edit: I forgot to mention we aren't nearly as fat.

~
Pyrite
[x]

Thank you for answering my question but you didn't have to be so rude (and not to mention bias) about the whole thing. Oh, yeah, let's try and keep the genralization to a minimum. I'm sure that there are conservatives and liberals, accepting and unaccepeting people in the U.S and Canada. Talk about nationalism...geeze!  

Fuzzy_Bunny_of_Doom

[ Pyrite ]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:18 pm
[x]
Fuzzy, you posted in a guild dedicated to preserving English and butchered the word ‘revolution’ in your thread tittle. You expressed amazement at the fact that Canada was part of the allies in world war two, here’s a hint, it’s a world war – everyone takes a side. It’s common knowledge Canada became a country without violence. By assuming that every country must make its way to freedom through a revolution like America did shows that you are the one with a bias, not me. By calling me names and taking the thread off-topic because something ruffled your feathers means you’re are the one behaving rudely, not me. I only answered you question with an informed reply, from a Canadian, as you requested.

Now the flow of discussion in this thread will likely stop completely because of your last post, next time please send me a PM. A moderator may need to lock the topic now.

~
Pyrite
[x]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:20 am
[ Pyrite ]
sparkling_sora

[x]
Sora, if you want to come to Canada I'll let you live under my bed. I'll give you cookies and table scraps if you help me with my homework okay?

~
Pyrite
[x]

It's a deal! Heheh. One can definitely live off cookies. Too bad world history never includes Canada, and I say that in all honesty.

Nearly forgot: not only are you less fat there, but your sky is actually blue. One really does not know what that is here in Southern California. :/

splashseal

Fluffy Bunny

19,225 Points
  • Little Bunny Foo Foo 100
  • Pet Lover 100
  • Gifting Gone Wild 250

[Mammon]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:15 pm
The first thing you should probably know about Canada: We are taught, by an elite cadre of Obfuscationists, to lie relentlessly about Canadian history, geography, politics, and, of course, the number of unicorns we currently have held in captivity (137 at last count).

The second thing you need to know about Canada: We did have a revolution. Only our revolution was not to escape British rule, as you might expect; no, we got rid of the British with a classic "Look over there; is that Paris Hilton having sex with a moose?!?" ploy.

They looked. Of course they looked; even if Paris Hilton wasn't alive at the time it was still someone having sex with a moose so why wouldn't you look? (Incidentally a little known Canadian fact is that Canadians can unerringly predict the names of "celebrities" who will be alive in two hundred years, so long as the only reason they became famous was because they had sex with a moose, or something of an equivalent level - caribou, mountain goat, whatever) And by the time they looked back we had made ourselves our own country. Sure our capital was the little French kid's tree-house, but we were our own country.

So if our revolution wasn't to escape British rule then what was it for, you might ask (and well you should since I had gotten way off topic). Well it was to escape from the tar-covered hand of injustice and the mentholated propaganda of the tobacco conglomerates that had taken over leadership of Canada in the place of the British. Actually it wasn't so much the tar-covered hand of injustice or the mentholated propaganda that we minded; it was the fact that they had raised the prices of beer and cigarettes. Torture, secret police, random arrests and searches without cause; those things we can handle - better that then a privatized health care system - but $10 for a pack of cigarettes that's just obscene.

In the face of such high prices Canadians took to the streets with cries of "Give us cheap beer and smokes or give us crack!" And since crack had not yet been invented the government - then known as the Everyman's Association of Tobacco Idolatry and Totemism (or EAT IT (Interesting Canadian fact number two: In the Saturday Night Live Celebrity Jeopardy Skit where Sean Connery yells at Alex Trebek, "Eat it, Trebek!" this was actually a subtle Canadian history reference. I bet you missed it, didn't you.) ) - decided to abdicate and leave Canada in anarchy. Now as any good political science class will teach you anarchy plus cheap beer and cigarettes equals big party, and this one was a rager. However, before too long, cries of "Who's running this show? This party is awesome!" were heard and so it was decided that a new leader did, in fact, need to be chosen.

Because people in Canada love the wacky version of tobacco as much as they like the regular version it was pretty much unanimously decided that Canada's dealer should be their leader. Remember, Canada had a much smaller population at the time and one dealer could service the whole country (so could one prostitute, but I'm not talking about the Canadian music scene in this post); his name was Steve, he was pretty cool.

Unfortunately, when people asked us what our leader was called and we said "Steve" this tended to cause a bit of confusion and so another meeting was held to decide on a title for our leader. Much alcohol was consumed at this meeting, as was much of Steve's fine product, and so everyone was a little buzzed by the time they actually got down to business. Once that happened someone, whoever had been passed the "J" at that particular moment, said, "Man, this is some Premier stuff." (That's what they said back then, Premier instead of Primo).

"Dude," said one of the more blitzed members of this meeting, "That's totally what we should call our leader, the Premier."

"Man, I'm hungry; I think I've got the munchies. Anyone want to second that so we can go get something to eat?"

"Seconded."

"Cool."

"Steve?"

"Yeah, man?"

"You're officially our Premier now."

"Awesome."

The other members of that meeting, who were huge fans of the Canadian rap star Common (Yes his existence was predicted and we're still counting down the days to the exposition of his illicit relationship with a sea otter), decided to call themselves the "House of Common's" which became the House of Commons after many a bleary, hung-over, newspaper editorial session.

And so it came to pass that Canada was now not only it's own country but we also had our own government.

In what is a somewhat miraculous turn of events not a drop of blood was spilled during this whole process; though it is rumored that some Alexander Keiths was spilled - this made some Nova Scotians very unhappy, but we threw some Celtic instruments at them and everything was okay.

Tune in next week to learn about Steve's paranoia fueled fear of a man named Nate and the resulting establishment of an organization to watch him at all times: The See-Nate. (I'm sure you can see where that one is going.)  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:27 pm
[x]
Mammon, you are brilliant. You are also, however, insane, but it's a lovable kind of insanity. Thanks for the laugh. I do believe this thread has been officially hijacked now, ******** Canadians can't shut up about weed and cookies.

Fuzzy, if you don't like the answers you are given, this link should come in handy. Enjoy.

Back to the (off) topic. The first people to cause a stink about the price of tobacco were Albertan weren't they? The open spaces make you douchebags think you can smoke like chimneys. At my university the people who smoke in front of campus entrances get spat on. That's how hardcore we are on the west coast - scared yet, beef boy?

~
Pyrite
[x]

[ Pyrite ]

[Mammon]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:36 pm
It was only the West Coast's failure to adopt the Albertan Beef Filter in cigarettes that has left your smokers in such a sorry state. The beef filter has been scientifically proven to not only remove all carcinogens from first and second-hand smoke, but also to prevent unwanted pregnancies, fight communism, and punch loud, obnoxious children in the jaw. Why you beach-bums were so against it still mystifies us.

And, yes, the first person to complain about the price of smokes was an Albertan. His name was Tumor Ted and he was hardcore. He's the only person in the history of the planet to have a larger tracheotomy tube installed so that he could smoke more than one cigarette through it at once. We revere him like a god; his birthday is a provincial holiday, as is the day of his death and the day of his tracheotomy.  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff