Should Suicide Be Mixed With Media?
  Yes
  No
  Depends
View Results

Moctezuma07

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:41 pm
Do you think that suicide should be publicly displayed on things like
the news, magazines, music videos, photos, ect...?
I have seen some music videos where I see mainly women use a broken glass and cut themsleves and fall gently agianst the floor, mainly the women is wearing white, sometimes I see that some people are saved from
commiting suicide on public transportations and atop buildings, they never show people that don't get saved.
I have some favorite songs that describe it also, is this right?  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:45 pm
Well in texas there is a law (a stupid one) that saya that you have to make a public announcement a day in advance before you do something lie that  

Yesterdays Wispers

Moctezuma07

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:52 pm
Kaikatsu no
Well in texas there is a law (a stupid one) that saya that you have to make a public announcement a day in advance before you do something lie that

I guess it's stupid, I was thinking about making a video on that, do think that's ok?  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 1:10 am
Isn't suicide itself against the law? Why would you make a public announcement saying you're gonna break the law tomorrow?...That's why it's a stupid law, isn't it?  

littlewonder

Broken and Damned

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:08 am
i dont think they should show images of the people who commit suicide it can be really disturbing.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:17 am
Well I said no in the poll, but then I realize it depends. I think it should be depicted realistically, and in a way that discourages the act. I don't want it glorified or encouraged. Some people sort of romanticise the idea of being saved from suicide, or the idea of two lovers killing each other in the name of love.

Suicide in the media also feeds stereotypes and images people have of it. All people who commit suicide are just doing it for attention, of that everyone is saved from it, or that no one is serious about it. Or worse, like prison rape people even make fun of it when it is no lauging matter!

So, if you're gonna put it in the media, be sure to remind people that there is no turning back, you can't come back from it and in some cases you change your mind and want to live after it's too late. Remind people how much suicide hurts friends and loved ones.  

Freedom Fire

-Resurrected Writer-
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:45 am
Unless they can find a way to make it tasteful, like in the case of Romeo and Juliet, I honestly don't think they should portray suicide in media.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 3:41 pm
Suiside is an unfortunate part of life. And like all other parts of life, the media has free reign...

Hel Daughter of Loki

EvFaerAshlynn

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 5:13 pm
Telling stories of real suicides is generally a bad idea - it puts stress on those who are already grieving for the victim, and it could give other people who are on the edge ideas.

Telling stories or showing things that depict suicide can be done tastefully, but it should be undertaken with caution.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:22 pm
If someone has felt that the only escape is suicide, then their depression should go with them to the grave.

Then again...to the media, a lesbian who doesn't fit in and decides to hang from herself from a roof, is pure entertainment, and it sells.

No matter how you look at it, the media is really ******** up and will do anything to get a rise out of people.

(The lesbian thing is merely a scenario)

[Dr.Genocide]

Moctezuma07

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:56 pm
Yeah, i do belive some people do it for attention but then there are the type of people that like that taste of their on blood and go a little bit far and then there are some poeple that do it because their life is really messed up.I t ususally happends around the area of low income homes, can media show government how bad things are around that area? Would government care?  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:09 pm
Kaikatsu no

Are you serious? I never knew that...  

Bakurish

Veruniel
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:38 pm
Oooh. Thorny question.

I'm torn on this one. I don't like the idea of people showing suicide / self-harm for aesthetic reasons. Sure, blood, glass and a white dress may look dramatic, but presenting it that way can make people forget how tragic it is and how difficult life can be for people who have to fight the urge to do it. And I don't like the media showing suicide attempts just to up their ratings. It's really disrespectful to victims and their families if you hype a suicide attempt on the news.

But I think coverage is a *good* thing if it's done respectfully. If it raises peoples' awareness of what causes suicides and what can be done to prevent them, then it's a worthy cause.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:32 pm
Freedom Fire
Well I said no in the poll, but then I realize it depends. I think it should be depicted realistically, and in a way that discourages the act. I don't want it glorified or encouraged. Some people sort of romanticise the idea of being saved from suicide, or the idea of two lovers killing each other in the name of love.

Suicide in the media also feeds stereotypes and images people have of it. All people who commit suicide are just doing it for attention, of that everyone is saved from it, or that no one is serious about it. Or worse, like prison rape people even make fun of it when it is no lauging matter!

So, if you're gonna put it in the media, be sure to remind people that there is no turning back, you can't come back from it and in some cases you change your mind and want to live after it's too late. Remind people how much suicide hurts friends and loved ones.

3nodding exactly what she said  

Dante Omura

Corpse_Bride_131

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:32 pm
Kaikatsu no
Ha! Dude, are you serious? That's insane! rofl  
~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces