Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
"..." Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Smoozle

Generous Millionaire

7,700 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Megathread 100
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:35 pm
I have always been confused on wether you capatalise the first word after you have a "..." after a word or sentence.

Which is correct?

"I have always wanted a personal jet... but I don't think i'll ever get one."

Or:

"I have always wanted a personal jet... But I don't think i'll ever get one."

Also.

My browser (Mozilla Firefox 2.0) Underlines words it thinks are spelt wrong. It has underlined "spelt", "i'll", "wether" and "capatalise".

Are any of these wrong in any way, or is my browser wrong?  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:48 pm
[x]
I'm not sure about your "..." question. I've always capitalized the first letter afterwards, but up until now I've never questioned if that was correct or not.

As for firefox, I have that problem as well. It's a new feature and it's more than likely the dictionary they use messes up. If you live somewhere other than America don't forget to download and install the dictionary for your country!

~
Pyrite
[x]

[ Pyrite ]

Smoozle

Generous Millionaire

7,700 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Megathread 100
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:50 pm
Oh... Good point... I will look for a New Zealand Dictionary. I wonder if they have one?  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:58 pm
[x]
I love New Zealand! It's like the Canada to Australia! Years of playing World of Warcrack with voice coms has taught me how much you guys dislike being mistaken for those boomerang throwers.

Slightly on topic: If you're downloading plugins for firefox, I highly recommend add block plus. I haven't seen an add on the internet for many months now.

~
Pyrite
[x]

[ Pyrite ]

[Mammon]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:04 pm
I think the use of the ellipsis ( a.k.a. "...") when you are using it to indicate a pause in speech does not require a capitalization afterwards. Why? Because, if I understand things correctly, you are just using the ellipsis to exaggerate an existing pause; so what you are actually doing is taking what could have been a comma and exaggerating it for effect but the punctuation of the surrounding sentence still behaves like there was a comma there. At least that's what I think, I'm not an authority on the subject... and I'm a little crazy.

As for why it's underlining those words: I find that right clicking them to see what Firefox suggests for a correct spelling can be very helpful. But, since you asked, here's what I see:

"spelt" - A lot of spell-checkers have a problem with using "spelt" as the past tense of "to spell" try using "spelled"; however, when I installed the Canadian dictionary it now prefers spelt over spelled.

"i'll" - Should always be "I'll".

"Wether" is correctly spelled "whether".

"Capitalise" is "capitalize".  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:17 pm
If you're worrying about the grammar here, don't.

Why?

Totally wrong to use ellipses for anything but omissions.  

The Man who was Thursday

Smoozle

Generous Millionaire

7,700 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Megathread 100
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:11 am
[Mammon]
I think the use of the ellipsis ( a.k.a. "...") when you are using it to indicate a pause in speech does not require a capitalization afterwards. Why? Because, if I understand things correctly, you are just using the ellipsis to exaggerate an existing pause; so what you are actually doing is taking what could have been a comma and exaggerating it for effect but the punctuation of the surrounding sentence still behaves like there was a comma there. At least that's what I think, I'm not an authority on the subject... and I'm a little crazy.

As for why it's underlining those words: I find that right clicking them to see what Firefox suggests for a correct spelling can be very helpful. But, since you asked, here's what I see:

"spelt" - A lot of spell-checkers have a problem with using "spelt" as the past tense of "to spell" try using "spelled"; however, when I installed the Canadian dictionary it now prefers spelt over spelled.

"i'll" - Should always be "I'll".

"Wether" is correctly spelled "whether".

"Capitalise" is "capitalize".

Thanks... I was wondering if it was a "z" instead of an "s" for "capitalize" and now it works! Thank you all.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:25 am
Ezra Pound

Why?

Does that mean it's wrong to use an ellipses in this manner:

"I peeked through the door... and there he was!"?  

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250

Aerin-Sol9

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:34 pm
Smoozle

Also.

My browser (Mozilla Firefox 2.0) Underlines words it thinks are spelt wrong. It has underlined "spelt", "i'll", "wether" and "capatalise".

Are any of these wrong in any way, or is my browser wrong?

No, your browser is not wrong, except for spelt, which is correct. However, whether, is not spelled as wether, capitalize is not spelled as capatalise, and I'll is always written with a capital I.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:43 pm
I've always kept it uncaptialized.  

Arianna La Moire

Caleb Hellforge

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:53 pm
Since you've said you're from the New Zealand area, I would say that 'capitalise' is actually correct for you. Mainly because of the fact that it's the English [British] form of spelling, and not the American form. Considering England is closer... It doesn't deserve much argument.

As for the ellipses, I usually capitalize the word after. Why? Because there's a pause in speech, which causes there to be more of an emphasis on the next word.

To each their own.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:17 am
Yami no Hitokiri
Ezra Pound

Why?

Does that mean it's wrong to use an ellipses in this manner:

"I peeked through the door... and there he was!"?

Yes.  

The Man who was Thursday

Smoozle

Generous Millionaire

7,700 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Megathread 100
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:15 am
Vadatajs
Since you've said you're from the New Zealand area, I would say that 'capitalise' is actually correct for you. Mainly because of the fact that it's the English [British] form of spelling, and not the American form. Considering England is closer... It doesn't deserve much argument.

As for the ellipses, I usually capitalize the word after. Why? Because there's a pause in speech, which causes there to be more of an emphasis on the next word.

To each their own.

To true! Thanks, yeah I think I will continue to capitalise afterwards.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:57 pm
As for the ellipses business, I would say that there are two different cases with such. Cases that have a contraction after the "..." shouldn't be capitalized. Cases that have anything other than a contraction after the "..." should probably be capitalized. Why? Because I don't like capitalizing contractions, as they really shouldn't be at the start of a sentence anyway. So there's basically a case of ellipses when the "..." indicates a longer pause between sentences or seperate phrases, and a case when there's a pause within the statement, like in dialect when someone is nervous and stuttering or something. Example-
Case A:
"I looked frantically about the room for her... but she wasn't it there!"
This indicates a pause in the narrator's thought process and adds a spot of suspence to it, making the sentence have a different tone to it than "I looked frantically about the room for her, but she wasn't there" as it would be without the ellipses. As you can see by this secondary example I gave, the two parts of it could be mashed together and still be grammatically correct. Therefore, it is just one sentence, and doesn't need a capital on the "b."
Case B:
"I looked frantically around the room for her, but she wasn't there... Now what could I do?"
Here the ellipses are also giving suspense and showing a pause in the narrator's thought process. Sorry, I couldn't think of a better example. I also wanted to use the sentence "I looked frantically around the room for her, but she wasn't there... I was so frusterated!" or something I can't really remember, but then I realized that having an "I" as the start wouldn't be very helpful. Anyway, the difference is that the part about looking around the room, and the questioning part are about different subjects, and become a run-on if put in the same sentence. Thus, it makes sense to, in this case, capitalize the "N."

On a completely unrelated manner, Pyrite, you play World of Warcrack too? *is amazed*
EDIT: Whoops, I used the wrong word, didn't I? "Contraction" is not what I meant, earlier. The actual phrase is being annoying and eluding me at the moment, but I'm speaking of words like "and, but, or" etc.  

Ariomness

The Man who was Thursday

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:48 pm
Ariomness
As for the ellipses business, I would say that there are two different cases with such. Cases that have a contraction after the "..." shouldn't be capitalized. Cases that have anything other than a contraction after the "..." should probably be capitalized. Why? Because I don't like capitalizing contractions, as they really shouldn't be at the start of a sentence anyway. So there's basically a case of ellipses when the "..." indicates a longer pause between sentences or seperate phrases, and a case when there's a pause within the statement, like in dialect when someone is nervous and stuttering or something. Example-
Case A:
"I looked frantically about the room for her... but she was it there!"
This indicates a pause in the narrator's thought process and adds a spot of suspence to it, making the sentence have a different tone to it than "I looked frantically about the room for her, but she wasn't there" as it would be without the ellipses. As you can see by this secondary example I gave, the two parts of it could be mashed together and still be grammatically correct. Therefore, it is just one sentence, and doesn't need a capital on the "b."
Case B:
"I looked frantically around the room for her, but she wasn't there... Now what could I do?"
Here the ellipses are also giving suspense and showing a pause in the narrator's thought process. Sorry, I couldn't think of a better example. I also wanted to use the sentence "I looked frantically around the room for her, but she wasn't there... I was so frusterated!" or something I can't really remember, but then I realized that having an "I" as the start wouldn't be very helpful. Anyway, the difference is that the part about looking around the room, and the questioning part are about different subjects, and become a run-on if put in the same sentence. Thus, it makes sense to, in this case, capitalize the "N."

On a completely unrelated manner, Pyrite, you play World of Warcrack too? *is amazed*
EDIT: Whoops, I used the wrong word, didn't I? "Contraction" is not what I meant, earlier. The actual phrase is being annoying and eluding me at the moment, but I'm speaking of words like "and, but, or" etc.

Conjunction junction, what's your function?  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff